2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Navigation Option - 2 questions??

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM
duckduke
More Turbo
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Navigation Option - 2 questions??

1- Is the Ford navigation option worth having??
I have not used it. My only experience is with my wife's Acura MDX. I researched her system in an attempt to update it and found out her system was 5-6 years out of date. The newest update available from Acura was at least 2-3 out of date and required a $130 CD (required for each Acura update). Basically....... you were much better off using your phone apps than trying to use the Acura system.

2- Are phone apps a better alternative??

I did a few searches here and came up with little or nothing. I just hate paying for options that have little or no value.

NOTE: I mostly use traffic functions on Goggle Maps or Waze currently. I also use them occasionally for directions when traveling.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:35 PM
spongecop
Semper Fi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2017 XLT came with navigation and sync 3 which has apple car play and android auto. I would not have ordered it (came with the truck I found at the dealer) if I had a choice as the apple and android auto programs allow you to use their maps app. Since all Ford products now come with the apply/android auto app I would not order if you have a choice. Redundant

Old 06-22-2017, 04:59 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
But if you do order it, when you connect your truck to wifi at home, it will automatically upload updates to the firmware and maps. I find it useful having never had it, but in the more congested US citys perhaps updates are not as fresh. I would switch to Waze in those situations, but we don't bother with that up north. I prefer the in-bedded Nav over iPhone Maps, but there are advantages to using either in certain situations.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:39 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
It sucks. Use Android Auto and Waze/Gmaps. Always up to date, the traffic and cop notifications are heaven. Factory navs will never rival either of Googles map apps.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:53 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 538 Likes on 262 Posts
I really like the factory Nav. Voice commands to find an address work very well. The graphics are pretty "blah" particularly during the day screen, but the system is reasonably fast. It is not DVD-based like your Acura and hence is considerably quicker. The additional graphics provided on-screen as to which exit on a roundabout or even interstate exits are helpful. I like how you can select "midpoint" on a street where you don't have an exact address.

If you have the 8" instrument cluster screen, you can also display the Nav info on that screen while using the Sync3 screen for something else like music or climate control. It accurately displays speed limits, and when your low gas light comes on, it displays gas station icons as POI's on the screen.

All in all, it adds to the upscale feel of the vehicle (luxury vehicles always have a factory navi system) and the updates are wireless and no longer require expensive discs from the dealer.

Is it possible the phone nav system is more up to date? Sure, but then you have to use a crappy phone screen or the corded CarPlay / Android Auto connection.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
I guess it's probably different strokes.

I plug my phone in everytime out of habit. And I really enjoy the Google Assistant voice prompts over the factory ones.

Hop in, plug in, turn on the car.

"Take me to Staples Center"
"Add a stop at Mike's house"
"Text Mike, I'm on my way ******"
"Who's favored to win the Lakers game tonight"

It just has so much more functionality and usefulness to me.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:17 PM
sims1dh
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would pass

I had a chance to get a truck with bliss and a tailgate step, but I pass it up for the factory navigation option. I so regret that choice. The truck automatically defaults to my iPhone map when my phone is plugged in and the carplay feature works seamlessly.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:28 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have factory navigation in my 2017 Super Duty F-250 Platinum and I like my Garmin Nuvi 5000 navigation better. You can hook up a backup camera to it.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:50 PM
DISLTom
Senior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
But if you do order it, when you connect your truck to wifi at home, it will automatically upload updates to the firmware and maps.
I don't believe map updates are delivered over WiFi. You've got to pay for those...

Old 06-22-2017, 10:42 PM
MJR777
Senior User
I agree -- No map updates over wi-fi at home.....

Old 06-23-2017, 07:03 AM
RugbyRef
Senior User
I have the nav in my '17 F350 Platinum, but I don't use it. I use Android Auto and Google Maps currently. Waze is beta-testing with Android Auto and when/if it works out I will use Waze exclusively...or at least until something better comes along.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:16 PM
BLUENGRAY05FX4
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RugbyRef
I have the nav in my '17 F350 Platinum, but I don't use it. I use Android Auto and Google Maps currently. Waze is beta-testing with Android Auto and when/if it works out I will use Waze exclusively...or at least until something better comes along.
...so I had never heard of Waze... I searched it in the play store. The read the "permissions"...
Holy crap! I might as well let them wiretap my phone!

Old 06-23-2017, 12:32 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by BLUENGRAY05FX4
...so I had never heard of Waze... I searched it in the play store. The read the "permissions"...
Holy crap! I might as well let them wiretap my phone!
It's owned by Google... They have you by the ***** anyways

Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 PM
XXL Bimmer
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Waze is by far the best in my opinion. I travel virtually every day and use it extensively. I have the nav system in my 17 F250 and still go to Waze first.

Old 06-23-2017, 12:55 PM
pickerdd
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
If you have the 8" instrument cluster screen, you can also display the Nav info on that screen while using the Sync3 screen for something else like music or climate control. It accurately displays speed limits, and when your low gas light comes on, it displays gas station icons as POI's on the screen.
How does this work? I checked the manual and nav settings and didn't find a setting to allow the instrument cluster to display nav settings. This would be very cool to have!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Navigation Option - 2 questions??