2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 DRW - Recurring Valve Stem Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 07:48 AM
sail2xs
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 DRW - Recurring Valve Stem Leaks

Hi guys,

I've been happily racking up a fair number of miles on my 2017 DRW, and am almost completely out of patience with a recurring valve stem leak issue. Thus far, I've had at least 9 leaking valve stems replaced; most recently this past Thursday. All leaking valve stems have been Ford parts, and all have been either front or outside rear tires. Thursday's replacements were for one front and one outer rear. Front seems to be holding up, but with only 800 miles since replacement, the rear is losing 3-5 PSI overnight.

Anyone have a similar experience?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 06-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Kquad1
New User
I also have been having tire pressure issues 1st was front passenger started to lose air. The valve stem was replaced but did not solve the problem. The Dealer did a dye test around the valve stem hole and found a hair line crack in the wheel, Ford replaced the wheel. I am now dealing with rear outside dually losing air pressure. Truck will be going in this week to check this wheel.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM
K A M
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Are they the high pressure valve stems for these trucks or regular. I would think the valve core just needs tightening or the air chuck your using is damaging the valve core.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:26 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 535 Likes on 259 Posts
Welcome to the club. My 2017 dually is leaking air from 3 valve stems. 2 are slow leaks...about 10 psi every week or so; one was a major leak...about 20 psi every day. I had an independent tire shop fix the major leak. They claim is was due to corrosion forming where the steel valve stem meets the aluminum rim.

Neither of my inner steel wheels are leaking.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by K A M
Are they the high pressure valve stems for these trucks or regular. I would think the valve core just needs tightening or the air chuck your using is damaging the valve core.
I checked my valve stem cores, they were tight. If you spray soapy water, you'll see the leak is coming from where the valve stem exits the wheel.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:23 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Does your truck have OEM Wheels or aftermarket? Some aftermarket wheels don't work very well with the tire-pressure monitoring system.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by shortride
Does your truck have OEM Wheels or aftermarket? Some aftermarket wheels don't work very well with the tire-pressure monitoring system.
Everything is OEM. Truck is 100% stock.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:11 AM
Top_Speed1
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Holy crap, didn't wanna hear this. I'm keeping my fingers crossed here, no loss.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:55 PM
scagwildcat
Junior User
Same problems plus.my.clear coat is blistered,

I just got.my truck.from.dealer today, my tires leak, and my wheels have blistering clearcoat..dealer says ford will only replace one rim as they are 1400 each. My truck has been a nightmare and my dealer lombard ford in barkhamsted,has been terrible.. once they took my money on the sale, ive been getting the run around and the service manager thers likes to give people attidute..

Old 06-22-2017, 07:04 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Hmm...last I checked the Ford warranty covers defects in material or workmanship. The corrosion problem on these rims are clearly a defect in material and/or workmanship. They must cover all wheels which are leaking because of this. That is the law.

I'm going to bring it up to my dealer when I have my oil changed (very soon). The one rim the tire dealer fixed by cleaning the corrosion and using sealant is still holding proper pressure. The other two continue to slowly leak.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM
sail2xs
Freshman User
Originally Posted by K A M

I'm not sure whether these are high pressure stems or not, but they are whatever Ford says need to be on the truck. Checked the valve cores each time with dealer staff, and this doesn't seem to be the issue. I considered the tire chuck possibility as well, however, unless it's the dealer's chuck doing the damage, this is impossible - the air leaks are the reason I add air each morning at 3:25, right after firing up the coffee pot.

The service manager at my dealer said that the valve stems are on national backorder, and that it will be at least 2 weeks before he gets more in. The part number has also changed. I'm not expecting too much from the new ones - I have one new stem, and it's the one leaking.

My truck is 100% stock. Air leaks started around 10K mile mark. At 44K now, and have made airing up leaky tire(s) part of my daily morning routine. The KTI89001 someone here recommended on another thread works great!
Amazon Amazon

Chris

Old 06-23-2017, 04:50 PM
scagwildcat
Junior User
My last Ford

I just got off the phone with ford, they are replacing only one wheel!, doing nothing about my defrost not working all last winter, and they said, the other rim looked like it had spots on it.(it was raining) and they think i put some sort of acid or chemical on it so they are not going to replace it. So now im stuck with on wheel with clear pealing off and a bad valve stem.. and to makr matters worse, my carpet it wet..

Old 07-06-2017, 09:16 PM
ericcope
New User
2017 DRW rim leaking rim issues

Hey everyone. 2017 DRW F350 4x4. 1 week ago the dealer replaced a leaking rim on my truck under warranty. Told me there was a known problem and they had another 17 DRW in the shop waiting to replace all 6 under warranty due to the hole in the rim for the valve stem/TPM was over sized. Got home tonight and noticed the the same tire was low on pressure via the alert on the dash, bubble soap test, same area leaking at the valve stem. I sprayed the other outer rear rim and saw a very small leak bubbling from the valve stem. I'll call the dealer tomorrow, see what they say?

Old 07-06-2017, 09:24 PM
troverman
Hotshot
My dealer replaced two leaking valve stems on my 2017 dually. The inner steel rims don't leak on any of these trucks.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:35 PM
daVincidoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by troverman
My dealer replaced two leaking valve stems on my 2017 dually. The inner steel rims don't leak on any of these trucks.

17,000 miles and no problems thus far but now I am paranoid.

Quick Reply: 2017 DRW - Recurring Valve Stem Leaks