Sponsored by:

One way cross country trip for an Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:02 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
One way cross country trip for an Excursion

Anyone got a reasonable shipper for an Excursion?

Just started getting prices for a one way from Oregon to Tennessee is 1,700.

Bringing my JGC Overland up from Orlando was 1/3 of that price.

I know it's a long drive but I don't want to own shares in the long haul truck company!

Old 05-27-2017, 02:48 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
As I recall, once I requested information through an online service, I was getting calls/e-mails daily for weeks. Shipping from IL to CA ranged from $2000-600. In the end, we drove it and made a vacation outta the trip.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I had mine shipped from Houston for like $900 I think? It takes 2 spots (kinda) so a lot of trucks won't want to carry them. Also time of year is a thing that changes the price as well.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:13 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks guys. Wifey wants to make a trip out of it, not wanting to drive 30+ hours though!

Old 05-28-2017, 02:52 AM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Damn, pay me 1200 and I will go get the thing and drive it to you.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:11 AM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We did 30+ hours STRAIGHT in the Excursion, going from Houston to Spokane, WA. The Excursion just eats up the miles, very comfortable. It's also easy to sleep in while your spouse drives.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:41 AM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
Dealer gave us a 1,300 quote now, but still...if I fly out there I may never come back. I love the northern west coast.

Originally Posted by Romanova
We did 30+ hours STRAIGHT in the Excursion, going from Houston to Spokane, WA. The Excursion just eats up the miles, very comfortable. It's also easy to sleep in while your spouse drives.
I hear that. When I was younger I'd drive non-stop anywhere, but now I can sleep and drive, it's a skill! (I'd definitely need my wife as a co-pilot since she rarely sleeps.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd make a trip of it in a heartbeat, and I'd see some of the things out west that I've been wanting to see. Great opportunity right there...

Old 05-28-2017, 05:10 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

I hear that, makes it triple expensive as my grand-daughter is now in our custody. Maybe if this new contract comes through I can pull it off.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Twitchyleprechaun
I'll do it for $1199...

LET THE BIDDING WAR BEGIN!!!!

Old 05-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Studawg
Thread Ender

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take it from me, having a vehicle shipped across country IS A TOTAL CRAP-SHOOT. Im a dealer and have shipped cars to and from all across the country.

All you are dealing with are brokers and they book it with the cheapest price transporter they can find. It probably won't even get picked up for at least 10 days.

You may get it booked for a "good" price, and receive the vehicle in a reasonable amount of time, with no damage, but IT IS UNLIKELY.

You most likely will end up with some hack transporter that is either days/weeks late or shows up early, when you are out of town and calls at 10:30 on Saturday night saying he's in town and needs to drop it off. Then you get there and he's bashed the roof in on the upper level of the transporter, but won't admit it, and suddenly has forgotten how to speak English.

There are no doubt great transporters out there, and Ive had some of them, but Ive also had nightmare scenarios as well.

I would seriously consider flying out there, uber to the vehicle, and drive it back. This way you are completely on your own schedule, can track your total expenditures, get to experience the trip, and will have a lot of confidence in your vehicle by the time you get home.

If you just can't do that, Ive used DIY Transport multiple times recently and they have served me well, so far. Ask for a guy in sales named Brandon.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:31 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My experience shipping a '04 Mountaineer from small town in SW Colorado to Reno.

Filled out on-line form.
got tons of phone calls/emails for 2 weeks with prices all OVER the place.
Tried to research the various companies, and MOST were brokers, some claimed to have their own drivers.
Selected 1, for a middle-range price.

Was told would be picked up in a few days - LOL.
They had to FIND somebody going through Western Colorado, who would be willing to pickup the vehicle.. Took nearly a week, finally the driver called and said "Oh it's a SUV that is extra!" Worked out a deal, he arrived on-time and delivered the vehicle without any further issues.

Afterwards, I got an email saying "we will give you a $200 refund if you will make a positive review"

Bottom-line, do *NOT* be in a hurry, if you don't have somebody WITH the vehicle to be able to present the keys you are in trouble. Nearly everybody offers a low price, then they play the waiting game HOPING a driver will be "going by" and willing to take the vehicle for a "cut". If not, you have 2 options:
a) Agree to pay more to the "guy" who shows up 1 day
b) Wait until somebody can be found willing to delivery for the original price quoted.

Bottom-line, you are BETTER off flying out and driving it back yourself - since the seller is likely to be less than patient to get this vehicle off their lot and deal with the hassle of "when is this vehicle being picked up?"

Old 05-30-2017, 11:47 AM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Ok guys, all great feedback. Wife is trying to get me to book a vacation to Belize lol...sounds like it's time to make sure we go get this truck instead! I prefer the mountains to any 'frying in the sun' beach anwhere...anytime.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:11 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
OMG the phone calls for weeks on end!!!!!

Old 05-30-2017, 05:11 PM
lightflyer
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used this carrier to ship my 1935 Ford from Orlando, FL to Austin, Texas. $1400 and picked up and delivered on time. A professional company! No issues at all. I didn't want some joker with a trailer to show up and disappear or damage it.

http://www.reliablecarriers.com/

Quick Reply: One way cross country trip for an Excursion