1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 05:25 PM
deucerx11
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Muffler delete

OK, I've read a ton of posts about exhaust. I have a 2012 f250CC with a 6.2 gasser. I know a few of you have removed the muffler, some have removed the resonator. I'm looking for a simple answer. Which is the best bang for the buck. All the threads I've read asking this question end up talking about what kind of cat back system someone has. I just want to know if I'll get a better sound removing the muffler or the resonator. I don't have a ton of money to spend, that's why I'm looking to go this route. Thanks for any help....

Old 05-25-2017, 05:39 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
That depends on if you want a "better" sound, or a "louder" sound. If you want loud, remove muffle and resonator and straight pipe it. If you want better, keep the resonators.

https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-resonator-281971

Old 05-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I've got the muffler and tailpipe deleted, nothing added. I did this when I first got the truck, and the drone got to me after a while. I put it back on. After gearing the truck lower and lifting it, I removed it again, and the drone is virtually non existent even when towing. I really like it. Love the sound of exhaust dumped under instead of out the back. I think the truck being higher off the ground and not echoing is what helped the drone. I did remove the small resonator along with the muffler and it was way to loud and obnoxious for my liking. That lasted one trip.

If you just remove the small resonator(replace it with pipe) and leave the muffler, it will be slightly louder. This is how the regular cabs come from the factory. Dad has a regular cab, and it is noticeably louder, mainly on start up and hard acceleration.

I think deleting both resonators and leaving the factory muffler would be a very good sound. I haven't seen where anyone has done it though. This was my plan before becoming content with the muffler delete. I even tracked down the part number for a replacement front y for the front resonator. Its a dynomax part number 54739. It's from their cat back kit. This would connect to your factory downpipes, then add a 3" straight pipe from this to you factory muffler. Use stainless pipe and clamps and you have a factory quality exhaust system that can be put right back to stock if wanted.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:32 PM
hot.hogs
Freshman User
I pulled the muffler and tail pipe on my 2011, and left it alone like that for a while. the drone in the cab got to be enough to annoy me on long trips so just to see if it would help I added a section of pipe and a simple turn down to get the outlet past the cab and in cab drone was reduced quite a bit. Truck sounds good now, deep tone but not obnoxious. I left all of the resonators in place.

Name:  E99651E2-F97C-4B18-87CC-E8464EF75591_zpsdgwucdzn.jpg
Views: 6301
Size:  85.3 KB

Old 05-25-2017, 09:32 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Better read up more...everything I've seen on this site shows that the 6.2 loses low end power in the suoer duty trucks when you f around with the exhaust

Old 05-26-2017, 08:03 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Better read up more...everything I've seen on this site shows that the 6.2 loses low end power in the suoer duty trucks when you f around with the exhaust
I'd like to see some dyno proof of this. I remember reading in the ask an engineer thread that he said there was some hp to be had from the exhaust. And I wouldn't doubt that my set up has lost a few(literally) HP down low, but I'm sure it's picked up a few more up high. Can you show me where you found that info?

Old 05-28-2017, 01:47 AM
Sdowdle541
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had muffler and small resonator replaced with a pipe. The large resonator is still there then runs all the way to the back and out the factory tailpipe. I like the sound and it rumbles on acceleration and then is quite on highway cruising.

I might one day replace the resonator with a magnaflow but don't see the need for it anytime soon. $85 vs couple hundred for a fancy cat back. I drive one with a corsa exhaust and wasn't impressed for the $500 price tag!

Old 05-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Deerfield411
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After getting my 2011 6.2 I planned on getting a cat back system for it because I wasn't happy with the stock sound. I ended up taking the tailpipe off in preparation for the dynomax system I ordered only to find out that it wasn't being sold by that company anymore. Rather than put the tailpipe back on I ran the truck with it dumping under the truck for a while like Ron does and decided I was happy with it. I've had it like that for a while now and don't really plan on changing it. I like the sound, loud on startup, cold idle and under acceleration but not obnoxiously loud any other time. I don't notice too much drone (nothing that I can't put up with). As far as power goes I haven't noticed any loss down low. Top end definitely feels better and I think my throttle responsiveness has improved.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:48 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron94150
I'd like to see some dyno proof of this. I remember reading in the ask an engineer thread that he said there was some hp to be had from the exhaust. And I wouldn't doubt that my set up has lost a few(literally) HP down low, but I'm sure it's picked up a few more up high. Can you show me where you found that info?

I've been reading it on this forum, I keep going back and forth on if I should get rid of my 2004 and buy a new crew cab long bed. Been doing research on the 6.2 and thats how i found the info I posted above

Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 AM
deucerx11
New User
Thanks for all the replies. Think I may start with just removing the small resonator and see how that sounds

Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
No muffler........it'll fit right in at the local high school parking lot.....

Old 05-30-2017, 11:09 AM
deucerx11
New User
Does that mean too loud? Just looking for a nice mean rumble

Old 05-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by finn
No muffler........it'll fit right in at the local high school parking lot.....
Hum, when I graduated high school, the super duty as we now know it was a new born. So I'm not a kid, and my muffler is deleted. With 2 resonators, it is not loud. I can easily go through a drive-thru, have a quiet conversation in my truck, and not worry about pulling out next to a small town cop at 2 am if I'm out for some odd reason. A cat back system that deletes even 1 resonator will be louder than the muffler delete. So before you start making crude comments about the set up some of us are running, understand, it doesn't sound like some redneck with straight pipes in a 20 year old dodge.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:10 PM
Sir Kayakalot
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
finn apparently hasn't ever heard the 6.2 with a muffler delete or he wouldn't have said that at all. They're not loud at all until you put your foot in it, and even then it's not real loud. Probably should do some research before you start talkin down to folks

Old 05-30-2017, 12:10 PM
PASSIONATE_GRANDPA
Junior User
Thanks, you guys are helping me out sort of.
My buddy has a 2015 F250 with the gas motor and is looking for better fuel milage. Tried to talk him out of buy a gas job but he was hard headed. Always had Ford diesels. He wants to get a cat back system and eliminate all the BS. He is averaging 13 MPG.
Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Muffler delete