1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I decide on a Triton plug insert kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:52 PM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I decide on a Triton plug insert kit?

I have a 2001 F-250 5.4L with a blown out spark plug (Triton engine of course). And after further inspection I realized the previous owner had at least 3 other blowouts, and it seems he only re threaded the holes. So I should do all 8 cylinders the right way or I'll be having this problem again and again.

But there are so many kits available. How do I decide which to get?

(Also, I do have a 2 valve engine, right?)

Old 05-24-2017, 08:23 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Repair the blown​ plug and over Torque the rest to 20-25 ft-lbs. ​​Factory rating was way to low.

If you can swing it the Timesert kit is supposed to be ideal. Avoid Heli-Coil's unless it is a save-a-thread version with the stitching.

https://youtu.be/NmYfg_SxY

Old 05-24-2017, 11:43 PM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
Repair the blown​ plug and over Torque the rest to 20-25 ft-lbs. ​​Factory rating was way to low.
I have heard that before on a youtube video by a mechanic. But torque specs are between 7 and 14 foot pounds. And with some of these plugs possibly missing partial threads from the head, I'm worried I might strip the threads altogether, especially if I go for 25 ft-lbs.

But if 25 ft-lbs doesn't strip it, then it should hold it in place pretty well.
And if it does strip it, then I'm back to the original plan to place an insert. So I guess I have nothing to lose by trying to over-torque the plugs first.

But a few questions before I try that...Should I use anti-seize? Wouldn't that make it slip loose easier?
And is there any advice as far as new plugs? The plugs that are in there now seem like they must be factory. They are so very worn out, and they look like they are only looking bad because of so much use. Not a malfunctioning engine.

Also, I wonder if I could mark one side of each plug, visible from the top, and take a picture. So I know if they have started to spin over time.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:09 AM
Optimistic Paranoid
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
According to the Wikipedia article on these Ford Engines, Ford specifically calls for the Lock N Stitch brand insert for doing the repairs. FWTW.

Spark Plug Thread Repair Insert Kits for Ford Modular and Triton Engines On Lock-N-Stitch

I haven't had to deal with this problem myself, so I can't say from personal experience whether this is the best brand or not.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:00 AM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Optimistic Paranoid
According to the Wikipedia article on these Ford Engines, Ford specifically calls for the Lock N Stitch brand insert for doing the repairs.
I know you're just offering thoughts and something to consider. I appreciate it, so don't take this the wrong way...

They would be just typical thin inserts like many other companies offer, except that since aluminum threads were a big reason this mess exists, it's ironic that Ford would suggest a kit that uses *aluminum* inserts, instead of steel like every other company.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:09 AM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
I read that there was a class action suit against Ford for this spark plug blow out problem. And they settled to give new and improved heads to each person who qualified, and who made the request within 3 months. The average person is not going to install the heads him/her self. And if they can't afford to pay someone to do it, then why bother getting the heads. I don't understand why a judge would approve such a b.s. settlement.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 324 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Is Jay
I read that there was a class action suit against Ford for this spark plug blow out problem. And they settled to give new and improved heads to each person who qualified, and who made the request within 3 months. The average person is not going to install the heads him/her self. And if they can't afford to pay someone to do it, then why bother getting the heads. I don't understand why a judge would approve such a b.s. settlement.
Basically it's like any other dealer, You don't have a problem yet and you may never have it happen, but for piece of mind, we'll GIVE you the new and improved part, YOU just have to pay for labor and other materials.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:45 AM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mike1
Basically it's like any other dealer, You don't have a problem yet and you may never have it happen, but for piece of mind, we'll GIVE you the new and improved part, YOU just have to pay for labor and other materials.
I didn't read the wording of the settlement. Did it only apply to the original owners? Or also to second hand owners?

Old 05-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 324 Likes on 294 Posts
As of the time this article was written, which I couldn't find a date, There is no lawsuit specifically for the plugs blowing out. Ford stated that if a plug blew out, that it would fix it, as long as the vehicle was with in the warranty period.

Ford Spark Plug Blowout

There may be other articles but I couldn't find any.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 PM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mike1
As of the time this article was written, which I couldn't find a date, There is no lawsuit specifically for the plugs blowing out. Ford stated that if a plug blew out, that it would fix it, as long as the vehicle was with in the warranty period.

Ford Spark Plug Blowout

There may be other articles but I couldn't find any.
Oh, ok. I might have been remembering incorrectly too. And/or mixing it up with the class action suit about the later models with the spark plugs breaking off.

If something breaks under warranty, and there's nothing more to the story, then the company fixes it. And if not still under warranty, then the company does nothing.

But IMO, in cases where the company knew they were selling something so inferior, they should be held liable for the repair, regardless of warranty status. Also, I can't see how a group of engineers who design engines for a living could have possibly overlooked this.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:39 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I have heard that before on a youtube video by a mechanic. But torque specs are between 7 and 14 foot pounds. And with some of these plugs possibly missing partial threads from the head, I'm worried I might strip the threads altogether, especially if I go for 25 ft-lbs.

But if 25 ft-lbs doesn't strip it, then it should hold it in place pretty well.
And if it does strip it, then I'm back to the original plan to place an insert. So I guess I have nothing to lose by trying to over-torque the plugs first.

But a few questions before I try that...Should I use anti-seize? Wouldn't that make it slip loose easier?
And is there any advice as far as new plugs? The plugs that are in there now seem like they must be factory. They are so very worn out, and they look like they are only looking bad because of so much use. Not a malfunctioning engine.

Also, I wonder if I could mark one side of each plug, visible from the top, and take a picture. So I know if they have started to spin over time.
I used anti-sieze and originally torqued to 14 ft-lbs. After 20k one plug blew out so I had a shop repair it, before I had it repaired I re-torqued all others to the 20-25 ft-lbs. The heads can take it, another member tested a head to 100 ft-lbs before breaking.

Stick with Motorcraft plugs, Denso COP's as they are Motorcraft but half the price through Rock-auto and Denso Boot Springs kit. Only replace failed COP's.

I know you're just offering thoughts and something to consider. I appreciate it, so don't take this the wrong way...

They would be just typical thin inserts like many other companies offer, except that since aluminum threads were a big reason this mess exists, it's ironic that Ford would suggest a kit that uses *aluminum* inserts, instead of steel like every other company.
Honda, Toyota, Nissan and others have used aluminum heads for several decades without this problem. The problem for Ford is lack of threads and under torquing.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
After the plug blew out when I was driving, I was later able to gently get it re threaded. I tightened it to the max factory spec of 14 ft-lbs. But then with this conversation I decided to try for at least 20. I figured I didn't have much to lose. Either it works, or it strips it more and I need to put in an insert like the original plan was.

Well, I tried 20 foot pounds, and it stripped before it got to 20. So I'm back to the plan to put inserts in.

I think I'm going to get the "CalVan Tools 38900" kit available on Amazon, unless someone persuades me there's a better option. (Maybe use JB Weld so the plug will never come out again? Hehe)

Old 05-25-2017, 09:57 PM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
Oh, and someone had said that an experienced person should be able to do a cylinder in 20-30 minutes. Maybe a couple hours on the first cylinder for someone who's never done this before. And someone also said that Dealerships rip people off for fixing this problem. He said they sometimes charge up to $1,000, and that he once even heard of a dealership charging $2,000...for a 4 hour job!

Well, to make sure I buy the correct kit, I wanted to triple check that my truck only had 2 valves per cylinder. So I called the Ford dealer down the street from me. He confirmed it's 2 valves. But....

Since I was on the phone anyway, I was curious how much he might charge to install the 8 inserts if I bought the kit I wanted. At first he told me nobody installs inserts if the plug hasn't blown out yet, and to wait to see if another plug blows out before installing an insert for that plug. But then he told me to have all 8 inserts installed he would charge around $4,000. (!!!!) A 4 hour job would cost $1,000 per hour? Dealerships will rob you blind.

I wish I had an auto repair license. I could advertise, informing people of the potential damage waiting to surprise them (with the additional use of photos of some damage) and informing them that I can do the job at less than half the price the dealers charge.....etc.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:08 PM
Jay Is Jay
Freshman User
I have one more question. The "CalVan Tools 38900" kit on Amazon has almost all 5 star reviews and people saying positive things about it. But there are a couple people who gave it a poor rating, saying the kit doesn't allow the plug to go quite as deep into the cylinder as it did from the factory. Is there any reason to be concerned about that? Or do I forget it and get on with life?

Old 05-26-2017, 01:24 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a step-by-step procedure with photos

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...th-photos.html

Hope it helps. Good luck

Quick Reply: How do I decide on a Triton plug insert kit?