Sponsored by: Moser

Retro fit motor??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:35 PM
1yc
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retro fit motor??

Hello to all. New to forum so please bare with me. I have a 79 f350 that I'm rebuilding from the frame up. I yanked out a SOHC 5.4 triton from an 01 expedition that I want to put in the 79 (it's what I had laying around, can't afford a DOHC) I was fully prepared to "chop up" the originally wiring harness to work for this truck (removing egr, AC and other stuff that won't be used) and have the computer reprogrammed to only do the functions I need it to. But I had the idea of swapping the MPI for a carb set up and go all mechanical. So my question is, is that possible? How will I go around the COP set up to gain the fully mechanical set up I want, I know it's way more work than its worth but that don't matter to me. I want something unique and I got NOTHING but time on my hands. I don't plan on having this truck complete again for two to three more years minimum. Please give me any thoughts and opinions both positive and negative on this "retro fit/ conversion" or any tips and tricks that may help. Thanks in advanced!!

Old 05-21-2017, 12:28 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
You could use a crank trigger to fire your ignition. And I think there are carb style intake manifolds available for the 4.6, but dunno about the 5.4.

Or you could get a stand-alone EFI system like Megasquirt or something, and keep the injection.
Converting the truck to fuel injection is likely easier than converting the 5.4 to carb.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:31 AM
1yc
New User
Originally Posted by meangreen92
You could use a crank trigger to fire your ignition. And I think there are carb style intake manifolds available for the 4.6, but dunno about the 5.4.

Or you could get a stand-alone EFI system like Megasquirt or something, and keep the injection.
Converting the truck to fuel injection is likely easier than converting the 5.4 to carb.
So you think it would be easier to go with an aftermarket efi setup instead of carb swap OR or oem mpi setup with the "custom" wiring harness and computer?

Old 05-21-2017, 02:01 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
I would want to use the OEM computer, but doesn't the 5.4 stuff require you to run the late-model gauges which communicate with the computer? I know the supercharged Lightning engines do.
A carb manifold for a 5.4 probably isn't cheap.

I'd think the aftermarket EFI controls would get you up and running cheaper than the carb stuff, and easier than making the Expedition's computer work properly - unless that computer is easily tuned or reprogrammed.

All three ways are cool, and carbed might be the coolest.

Old 05-21-2017, 02:06 AM
1yc
New User
Originally Posted by meangreen92
I would want to use the OEM computer, but doesn't the 5.4 stuff require you to run the late-model gauges which communicate with the computer? I know the supercharged Lightning engines do.
A carb manifold for a 5.4 probably isn't cheap.

I'd think the aftermarket EFI controls would get you up and running cheaper than the carb stuff, and easier than making the Expedition's computer work properly - unless that computer is easily tuned or reprogrammed.

All three ways are cool...
I agree that it will be cool!!
I also have to keep budget in mind. I'm an auto mechanic teacher so I'm not exactly loaded with cash. Does any one know more about the gauge thing? I do have the oem gauges but they would sure look ugly in the truck. Also how would the crank trigger work? Will it have its own little computer thing? And also does one of the modern day efi systems have provisions for my COP? Basically the biggest thing that's standing in my way is the COP for the carb or efi and the computer tuning is in my way for oe mpi. At this point I think it may be cheaper to run the oe mpi but I don't want those ugly gauges in the truck. I already have plans of building a custom cluster with isspro or glowshift gauges

Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think there is big benefit in keeping the EFI. Drivability, adaptability to different conditions and fuels, power and economy. That is why so many are switching.

Adapting the Excursion harness/computer sounds like a science project. There are many choices for aftermarket controllers that could run the engine. Mega Squirt, FAST others. Getting the aftermarket systems set up and tuned is a bit of a project also but much easier now with self learning for fuel delivery.

I run an older FAST retrofit EFI system on my hot rod.

The 5.4 can be a good engine... I ran one 150k miles in a 1 ton truck with lots of towing. Just make sure you can get the plugs out... and use generous anti-seize when reinstalling.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:17 AM
PapaBearYuma
Cargo Master

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
You didn't mention what engine or transmission the truck currently has, although I'd expect an F350 have either a 400 or a 460 with a C6. You also didn't say what you want to do with it once it's done.

Assuming an engine that has three digits and starts with a 4, I'd put a FiTech EFI on it, and convert the tank(s) to in-tank pumps. Since it's a body-off restore, it'd be easy to do the tanks, tubes and hoses

Everything would fit, no wiring harness hacking, no re-programming of computer that may or may not work right, and still enjoy the benefits of EFI

Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 PM
1yc
New User
Originally Posted by PapaBearYuma
You didn't mention what engine or transmission the truck currently has, although I'd expect an F350 have either a 400 or a 460 with a C6. You also didn't say what you want to do with it once it's done.

Assuming an engine that has three digits and starts with a 4, I'd put a FiTech EFI on it, and convert the tank(s) to in-tank pumps. Since it's a body-off restore, it'd be easy to do the tanks, tubes and hoses

Everything would fit, no wiring harness hacking, no re-programming of computer that may or may not work right, and still enjoy the benefits of EFI
The truck originally had a 400 with the np435. Both have been removed and are junk. The 400 block is at the machine shop but I'm not putting it back in the truck. I'm gonna use the 5.4 I got. And I was thinking about finding a zf5 to throw behind the triton. The truck will be a trailer queen when I'm done. It's a frame up resto that will sit in a garage and get trailered to car shows.

Old 05-21-2017, 12:58 PM
1yc
New User
Also the tanks are trash and pretty much all I have left is the frame, clip and cab. Everything is getting replaced. It's already in a million pieces

Old 05-21-2017, 01:02 PM
1yc
New User

Since the pic was taking I have removed all of the front suspension, the rear axle and springs and all wires and brake lines.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:34 AM
1yc
New User
Ok here's my conclusion. MSD makes an ignition controller for about $450 https://www.brothersperformance.com/...FcW3wAodr-0NTw that uses the original stuff. Plugs into your oem crank sensor etc. then I will find a 5.4 carb manifold (if there is one!!) if not I'll build one somehow and then I can top it with a blow through carb. Someone please point out my flaws in this plans besides the cost. also if any one knows where to get a 5.4 carb intake. Will a 4.6 carb intake work? I heard that they have different dimensions

Old 05-22-2017, 08:18 PM
1yc
New User
Ok for any one that even cares, although this thread is dead now, I found a 5.4 carb intake 5.4L DOHC Carbureted Intake Manifold - Sullivan Performance Products

Everything I need to do a blow through carb swap