Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Seatbelt repair ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
Seatbelt repair ideas?

Both of the front seats (driver and passenger) seatbelts do not retract once unbuckled unless they have a good deal of help. I usually must reach over my left shoulder and pull the belt down toward the floor and the mechanism to get it going. Once I do this, it will retract as it did originally.

I have soaked the belt in soapy water and cleaned it thoroughly. This helped a bit, but not much.

I cleaned the bending point near the top of the cab. This too helped a bit, but not much.

I removed the cover of the mechanism on the floor and cleaned and lubed everything the best I could. This didn't help much.

I have seen places online that will charge around $65 per belt to repair the tensioner and send it back within 24 hours. I thought I would post here and see if anyone else had any thoughts or experiences (good or bad) with using these services or how they fixed the problem themselves.

If the fix was buying new belts and mechanisms, I am open to that too as long as the color is tan or complimentary to the interior of the vehicle.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:31 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I have this same problem. I guess you tried my idea. I had planned to take apart the mechanism and blow it out and clean it, didn't work huh? Hmm

Old 05-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by schlepprock250
I have this same problem. I guess you tried my idea. I had planned to take apart the mechanism and blow it out and clean it, didn't work huh? Hmm
Not really. I had better results by cleaning the belt and top anchor point, but still needs help to retract. I found a place on Ebay that is in TN (near me) that does repairs/service. I asked them the specific question about repairing the tensioner and will see what they say.

Maybe between this post and the Ebay store I will have a good course of action.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:37 AM
uncndl1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My passenger seat belt is stuck in the retracted position making it not working.
I plan on taking the plastic interior pieces off and having a look.
This is on a 1997 F-250 HD.
Will report back. Glad you posted.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:25 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Is one of the problems because the belt is stiff from the dirt build up over the years? If so, I have the same exact problem, I can't tell you how many times I have got the belt caught in the door due to this. I have also tried cleaning the belt but it still does it. It will be interesting to see if the rebuilt or new tensioners take care of the issue...

Old 05-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
The Ebay store said no go, they don't have spare parts for our trucks.

I am going to contact a couple of other online "repair centers" to see what they can do.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:42 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
What I've seen happen is that sometime if you launch yourself forward fast enough the belt mechanism locks and when this happens the belt gets tighter and tighter on its spool thus making the spring weaker with time. I have a solution but it's something I won't tell you guys since its such a vital part of of a vehicle regarding safety that I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a tutorial sorry..

Old 05-07-2017, 11:43 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
Is one of the problems because the belt is stiff from the dirt build up over the years? If so, I have the same exact problem, I can't tell you how many times I have got the belt caught in the door due to this. I have also tried cleaning the belt but it still does it. It will be interesting to see if the rebuilt or new tensioners take care of the issue...
Not any more stiff or dirty than any of my other vehicles. I cleaned them about a year ago and that made it a bit better. I think the spring/tensioner inside of the mechanism is shot. I am willing to purchase new belts if it comes to that, but will try to source a cheaper method by repair first.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:16 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Also a side note when removing seat belt make sure you pull the belt at least half way, and then make a knot so it won't recoil . Why? Once it recoils all the way it looses tension then you have a useless belt. Just FYI.

Old 05-07-2017, 01:07 PM
uncndl1
New User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
What I've seen happen is that sometime if you launch yourself forward fast enough the belt mechanism locks and when this happens the belt gets tighter and tighter on its spool thus making the spring weaker with time. I have a solution but it's something I won't tell you guys since its such a vital part of of a vehicle regarding safety that I wouldn't feel comfortable giving a tutorial sorry..
Mine is currently Not useable. That's about as unsafe as it gets.
I'm going to look for an after market replacement if fiddling with this does not help

Old 05-07-2017, 01:19 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Don't drive like Jaime, and you won't need them .... Just playing

Checked out my local clist ads, Sous and seems as though a used replacement can be had fairly easy, if need be

Old 05-07-2017, 01:56 PM
uncndl1
New User
I found a service that guarantees their work called safety restore in Wakefield MA:
https://www.safetyrestore.com/seat-b...-accident.html
I'm going to take mine apart and go from there, thanks.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by uncndl1
I found a service that guarantees their work called safety restore in Wakefield MA:
https://www.safetyrestore.com/seat-b...-accident.html
I'm going to take mine apart and go from there, thanks.
That is the second company I emailed this morning. Waiting to hear something back from them before taking mine out.

I will also check C-list in my local area, good idea.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Mine are weak as well and I'm keeping an eye on this. I left one go to the scrap yard in that short bus I dissected and I've been kicking myself in the **** ever since. I suspect that the spring has gotten weak on there.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:35 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I went out and was looking at the belts again. They are clean, probably cleaner than when they rolled off the factory floor. The slide at the top is clean and worn, so it is smooth. The only part that I see failing at this point is the spring. Rightfully so though, it is just a cheap *** spring and after 17 years of use, it has just worn down.

Based on what I can find on C-list locally and what SafetyStore tells me I will move forward with a fix action. I will get this resolved though, stay tuned!

Quick Reply: Seatbelt repair ideas?