5er Hitch Cart

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
5er Hitch Cart

Looking for ideas for a fifth wheel hitch cart. I'm running a B&W and although I can remove the head to lighten the load the bas is still almost to heavy to handle by myself. Been thinking of ways to move it around the house and a way to load it in the bed of the truck.

You guys have pics of a cart or system that you are using?

Old 04-25-2017, 05:08 AM
Fishermanbb
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will take on today of the setup I have. I described it in detail in another very recent thread about hitches. I have the Pullrite slider with ISR rail adaptor and I use the cart plus 2" PVC pipe to roll the hitch from the truck to the cart. It is very easy and I can completely install tyne hitch by myself (Or remove it) in under 15 minutes.

The cart is made by ULINE. It has pneumatic tires and the top "Shelf" is a flat shelf so there is no lip to overcome. This process works VERY well IMHO. I'll take a pic. later and post it.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I'll try to take one I have later today as well. Got it from uline website.

Measured the height of the tailgate and got a cart to match it.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Fishermanbb
Junior User
Hmm...Problems posting pic. Stay tuned.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Fishermanbb
Junior User
Let's try that again:

Old 04-25-2017, 03:27 PM
49f68canadian
Senior User
I have a 18k Slider Reese that i took out of the 03 F350 with my engine crane with a extension boom. Also lifted the cab and box on and off my 49 with it. Then just set it on a bench until needed. don't take it off the M2 very often but use the same thing.

Just a swivel hook on the extension bar.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:03 PM
SecondChance
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Do you store your fiver at the house or a secure location? I've seen any number of folks pull the pins/pucks on the hitch and use the fiver to lift it out of the bed. They just leave it stored on the pin box of the fifth wheel. The pin box is designed to handle thousands of pounds of pin weight and the front of the trailer frame even more. A few hundred pounds of hitch is no problem.

Rob

Old 04-26-2017, 05:49 AM
garmford
Senior User
I bought a chain fall and hung it from the trusses in my garage. The hitch hangs all winter long and I never need to move it or lift it.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:06 AM
brandon_oma#692
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SecondChance
Do you store your fiver at the house or a secure location? I've seen any number of folks pull the pins/pucks on the hitch and use the fiver to lift it out of the bed. They just leave it stored on the pin box of the fifth wheel. The pin box is designed to handle thousands of pounds of pin weight and the front of the trailer frame even more. A few hundred pounds of hitch is no problem.

Rob
That seems like the easiest solution. Good idea.

Old 04-26-2017, 10:34 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have the room, a simple cart built out of common 2x construction lumber, a box of 2-1/2" drywall screws and a set of 4 casters with some lag screws or carriage bolts is really all you need. My 'cart' is low enough that the assembled hitch fits under my garage workbench but could be any height that works for you. And a non slider B&W base really doesn't weigh much more then the head but is awkward and the head pivots are always grungy/greasy - which of course are well cleaned by my pants.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:38 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Rob
X2
It's funny telling people that in person because they get that " yeah, duh " look on their face. And if you're worried about theft just put padlocks through the pin tabs and one on the jaw release pull handle.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 AM
rdlouks
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it is worth, here is what I use;
It is a 2 in 1 convertible hand truck in the cart configuration. An Electric winch and a Demco Part # 6100 Hitch Lifter. I raise the hitch back the truck under it, then lower and secure to the truck. (My Wife is disabled so I had to come up with a system that I could install and remove my hitch without asking for help.)

Old 05-08-2017, 12:57 AM
02F250V10
Senior User

Rob
This is exactly what I do. Hitch stays in the truck most of the summer. During winter storage or if I won't need it for a while I just pull the 4 pins in the truck bed when I park the trailer and let it hang from the pin box. If i had an expensive pullrite or something like that I might be more adverse to leaving it out in the elements but with my manual slider I just spray some oil on it and dont worry about it till next time.

Old 05-27-2017, 01:46 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
SecondChance, I've left it hooked to the pin before. I really don't like to do it that way. I keep the hitch stored in the side yard covered up when not in use.

rdlouks, I have a dolly like yours and thats what I've been using to move it around. I still have to cary it through the back door in an upright position because the door is not wide enough. Like the winch idea. I hate lifting it into the truck just because of the sizes. Getting older and thinking smarter.

I wish my garage was as big as some of you guys! Sure would be nice.

Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 PM
captcolour
Junior User
I use a chain hoist to lift it out, and put it on a furniture dolly to move it around.

Quick Reply: 5er Hitch Cart