Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decarbonizing the Intake Manifold and Replacing the Throttle Position Sensor ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 02:33 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Decarbonizing the Intake Manifold and Replacing the Throttle Position Sensor ???

My 92, 302 cu in, F150 XLT has new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, a new clean air filter, but still is sluggish on acceleration.

I do notice the engine will hesitate when accelerating. Sort of like engine stutter.

I remember taking it to a garage way back when the mechanic suggested I decarborizing the intake manifold and replace the throttle position sensor. Afterwards, the truck was considerably quicker on acceleration and a lot more power.

So what do you think? I haven't had too many types of problems, but this seems to be a recurring problem every 100,000 miles.

Is decarborizing the intake manifold a helpful procedure? Replacing the throttle position sensor when it is damaged is always a good idea.

Larry

Old 04-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Start by checking the codes. Removing carbon from the intake won't do anything for performance.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:07 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lead Head
Start by checking the codes. Removing carbon from the intake won't do anything for performance.
Wow, taken in again. This mechanic told me this story 15 years ago and I thought he knew what he was talking about. I will take the codes again.

Can engine hesitation be caused by a defective throttle position sensor?

Larry

Old 04-25-2017, 10:52 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by fightlivefree
Wow, taken in again. This mechanic told me this story 15 years ago and I thought he knew what he was talking about. I will take the codes again.

Can engine hesitation be caused by a defective throttle position sensor?

Larry
A bad TPS could cause a hesitation

Old 04-25-2017, 11:24 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
TPS

A bad TPS could cause a hesitation
I'll take the codes and see what comes up.

Thanks, Lead Head.

Larry

Old 04-30-2017, 11:30 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Mass Air Sensor ????

Lead Head, does my truck have a mass air sensor??
My guess is no, but I'm not sure.

Larry

Old 04-30-2017, 11:39 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
A 92 will not have a mass air flow sensor

Old 05-02-2017, 08:19 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Decarbonizing

Maybe be I misunderstood what he said and it was the throttle valve that needed decarbonizing. That would make mores sense since I have been researching
this topic.

Larry

Old 05-02-2017, 08:24 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Mass Air Flow Sensor.

A 92 will not have a mass air flow sensor
Great, so I think I have narrowed it down to two options:

1: Replacing the TPS or
2: Cleaning and decarbonizing the throttle valve.

Tomorrow I will try to get any new codes from my code reader if I can find someone to start the engine for me, but I think I have narrowed it down, I hope

Larry

Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 PM
Clinton Thomas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cleaned the throttle body on my '95 F150 and replaced the TPS not long ago. I was also having a hesitation/rough idle issue. Ended up being the O2 sensor but cleaning the throttle body wasn't a big job and certainly didn't hurt anything.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:56 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
O2 sensor

Originally Posted by Clinton Thomas
I cleaned the throttle body on my '95 F150 and replaced the TPS not long ago. I was also having a hesitation/rough idle issue. Ended up being the O2 sensor but cleaning the throttle body wasn't a big job and certainly didn't hurt anything.
Thanks for your input. Did it cause problems being stuck in 2nd gear for a while? These are all cheap enough solutions to do.

Larry

Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Cleaning the throttle body can help some issues, but use care and don't use aggressive solvents or abrasives.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:01 PM
Clinton Thomas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fightlivefree
Thanks for your input. Did it cause problems being stuck in 2nd gear for a while? These are all cheap enough solutions to do.

Larry
Nah. It just idled rough and wouldn't run faster than 20-30mph. I could reset the computer and it would idle fine as long as I didn't touch the accelerator. Soon as I gave it some gas it'd start sputtering and try to die and wouldn't idle right until I reset the computer. That's what made me think it was the TPS. Turned out it was a bad O2 sensor sending bad information to the computer. Before I gave it gas, the computer would run on default parameters.

Cleaning the throttle body can help some issues, but use care and don't use aggressive solvents or abrasives.
I used the throttle body cleaner they sell at auto parts stores. Protip: A baby bottle brush is perfect for scrubbing the TB.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:03 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Throttle Body Cleaner

I bought some CRC Throttle Body and Air intake Cleaner. I plan on using nothing but that and a nylon tooth brush.

Larry

Old 05-02-2017, 11:44 PM
fightlivefree
Senior User
Originally Posted by Clinton Thomas
Nah. It just idled rough and wouldn't run faster than 20-30mph. I could reset the computer and it would idle fine as long as I didn't touch the accelerator. Soon as I gave it some gas it'd start sputtering and try to die and wouldn't idle right until I reset the computer. That's what made me think it was the TPS. Turned out it was a bad O2 sensor sending bad information to the computer. Before I gave it gas, the computer would run on default parameters.

I used the throttle body cleaner they sell at auto parts stores. Protip: A baby bottle brush is perfect for scrubbing the TB.
I watched some youtube videos on how to correctly test the TPS using a volt/ohm meter so I will test the TPS and it's easy to do.

I have never touched the engine computer. I'll have to research how to reset the computer and if it is advisable.

Thanks,
Larry

Quick Reply: Decarbonizing the Intake Manifold and Replacing the Throttle Position Sensor ???