Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New pads and rotors... Before I drop the cash double check my items

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:52 AM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a side note, Apoc, I would recommend getting these for your new brakes. They are sold in pairs, so buy two set.

Russell Speed Bleeders 639560 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Truck and SUV Application Guide - Speed Bleeders - Russell Performance Products

Old 03-19-2016, 03:15 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Speed bleeders ordered

Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Wrap the threads when you put them in so when you are bleeding the brakes they don't pull air in threw the threads.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Prescott
New User
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I, too, am shopping for brake pads this morning. I recently bought a 2005 Excursion with 80k miles. The brake pads and rotors look absolutely brand new, and they SQUEAK badly. I mean they squeak LIKE CRAZY every single time I tap the brakes. They stop perfectly fine, but something has to be done.

My experience and the research I've done lead me to believe that the brakes were replaced, and didn't go back together just right. Either some shims were omitted or some "high performance" pads were used with a non-OEM composition, or both.

I think OEM or OEM-style pads with proper hardware should solve this with a minimum of expense and trouble. Here's what I would like opinions on:

1) With virgin-looking, stock-appearing rotors, should I leave them, machine them, or replace them?

2) Choose new pads (prices for both axles on RockAuto):
Motorcraft (Ford) OE $123.
Wagner OE-style $50.
Raybestos OE $36.
AC Delco $39.
Bosch $42.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:39 AM
Curt's05
Wiser by FTE

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Prescott, They probably used metallic/semi metallic type, since you had trouble with noise, i would try oem, the other look like semi metallic

Old 03-19-2016, 09:52 AM
Prescott
New User
They probably used metallic/semi metallic type, since you had trouble with noise, i would try oem, the other look like semi metallic
Thanks. I agree. Is it possible to add a sound-deadening device or treatment to the existing parts, and side-step replacement? Shims, or maybe that glue. I've not tried this ever. I don't know if it's worth a try.

Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 AM
Romanova
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Prescott

1) With virgin-looking, stock-appearing rotors, should I leave them, machine them, or replace them?
Just put the pads on and you should be fine. I would check to see that the rotor has a smooth surface from the inner portion all the way to the edge though.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:20 AM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My truck had OEM pads and squealed like crazy on light brake applications. I had to get on them hard to not squeal. I found that when I washed the truck, they were quiet for a day. I tested that by spraying a hose into the wheel openings (on cold brakes of course) until the black brake residue quit coming out from there and they would be quiet for a day or so. Now that I have the Powerstop kit, I haven't heard a peep whether they are clean or dirty.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:29 AM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!

Old 03-19-2016, 01:26 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Prescott
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread, but I, too, am shopping for brake pads this morning. I recently bought a 2005 Excursion with 80k miles. The brake pads and rotors look absolutely brand new, and they SQUEAK badly. I mean they squeak LIKE CRAZY every single time I tap the brakes. They stop perfectly fine, but something has to be done.

My experience and the research I've done lead me to believe that the brakes were replaced, and didn't go back together just right. Either some shims were omitted or some "high performance" pads were used with a non-OEM composition, or both.

I think OEM or OEM-style pads with proper hardware should solve this with a minimum of expense and trouble. Here's what I would like opinions on:

2) Choose new pads (prices for both axles on RockAuto):
Motorcraft (Ford) OE $123.
Wagner OE-style $50.
Raybestos OE $36.
AC Delco $39.
Bosch $42.
What are you using to lube the sliders and brake hardware?

Old 03-19-2016, 02:30 PM
USCG_PA
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Apocalypse

DO NOT DO THIS!!!!!!
"So what you do it get some used WD-40 from a garage sale, then you wipe everything down and the problem will go away..."

Old 03-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Old 03-19-2016, 11:13 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Quick question. These powerstop kits. Are they getting installed because they are better than stock? Or are they getting installed to replace the worn out OEM stuff?
It would be nice to know if they lower the distance to stop from 60 mph.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:51 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
They are a upgraded rotor, not sure on the pad compound. But the calipers are a remanufactured unit. If you are upgrading consider the stainless lines aand speed bleeders during install.

I will say the weight of these trucks and Excursions are lacking in the factory braking setup. I went with the Hawk pads and Powerslot Cryo treated rotors. Next brake upgrade will be the Stainless lines.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Prescott
New User
These powerstop kits. Are they getting installed because they are better than stock? Or are they getting installed to replace the worn out OEM stuff?
Good question! If you look at the product, you get a rebuilt caliper with a shiny red finish on it, a fancy looking cross-drilled rotor, and mystery pads. I'm glad customers are happy with it, but how do you quantify that it is truly an "upgrade". When you need new brake parts, any new parts represent an upgrade. Are they better than new stock parts? Hard to say for sure. They definitely look cool and trendy, and that is reason enough for some buyers to love them. Style is worth something, but you have to admit that stock parts are probably cheaper. I'm not trying to be a total dink about this, but does anyone out there have any hard numbers?

Quick Reply: New pads and rotors... Before I drop the cash double check my items