1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience with RockAuto 4R100 Trans?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 08:29 PM
SoarX
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Experience with RockAuto 4R100 Trans?

Hi all,

I'm looking for any reviews or input regarding The Transmission Authority's reman 4R100 transmission (1C3P-FB) from RockAuto. (I'm told it is an ETE tranny)

My 2002 F250 4x4 7.3L needs a new transmission. I read many reviews of the JW and BTS transmissions but they are out of my price range. Ford is about $3K so they are my go to plan but at $1500 I can't help but to question the Rock Auto option especially since they have the same warranty as Ford (but with unlimited miles).

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-09-2016, 08:38 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Rockauto doesn't remanufacture transmissions, and I've seen them carry a few different brands. Looks like the transmission they're carrying for yours is done by a place called Transmission Authority.

I don't have experience with them, but someone on here may. Here's the company's website:

The Transmission Authority

Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 PM
tweak1029
Freshman User
I've shopped Rockauto vs Oreilly's, Autozone, etc. Usually the part numbers are the same, with the same stock photos for each model of transmission and with the same warranty, leading me to believe Transmission Authority, Power Torque, etc., are all private labels of the actual remanufacturer.

Would you trust a transmission from a parts store? Have you read the parts store transmission reviews?

EDIT:

http://www.etereman.com/index.php
I'm not endorsing nor do I have any experience, but their remanufacturing methods seem on par with all other remanufacturers. If I need a transmission, I'll be buying one of theirs under RockAuto's brand.

Old 03-10-2016, 06:23 AM
DarrinBC
Senior User
I don't trust parts store transmissions, but I know a guy that builds them LOL

Ford remans have a great warranty. Standard build quality, but a great warranty.

Darrin

Old 03-10-2016, 06:27 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
AutoNation White Bear Lake has some of the best dealer pricing on parts, and it looks like they'd sell you a Motorcraft reman for around $2,200.

Buy 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Parts | FordParts.com

Old 03-10-2016, 08:42 AM
SoarX
New User
Originally Posted by Tom
AutoNation White Bear Lake has some of the best dealer pricing on parts, and it looks like they'd sell you a Motorcraft reman for around $2,200.

Buy 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty Parts | FordParts.com

...actually $2,835.24 for the 1C3P-FB - just looked.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SoarX
...actually $2,835.24 for the 1C3P-FB - just looked.
$2,339.07 for that one. I thought my link would leave the selling dealer set, but apparently not.

Press the link to select the dealer you're shopping for, use zip 55110, and select Autonation Ford White Bear Lake, and you'll see their selling price I listed above. They've been well known for years for selling significantly under MSRP to internet customers.

The interesting thing is that if you go there in person you have to ask for their "internet price". Otherwise they'll sell it to you at or close to MSRP.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:37 AM
SoarX
New User
Originally Posted by DarrinBC
I don't trust parts store transmissions, but I know a guy that builds them LOL

Ford remans have a great warranty. Standard build quality, but a great warranty.

Darrin
...since so many factors go into making a choice of transmission rebuilders and everyone's situation is different such as how long you plan to keep the vehicle, money available, ability to do your own work etc...I guess my real question is:

Is there any reason to not buy from RockAuto given the price and warranty - $1500 (+$800 core) with 3 year unlimited mileage warranty and $150 two way shipping to NY - i.e. has anyone had a bad experiences or is it all hearsay and comparison to the industry experts such as BTS and JW?

I’d buy direct from Ford if I had any more information on their rebuilds than I do from RockAuto’s. All I know about Ford’s Transmissions is that mine failed at 121K miles and the replacement cost $2835 (+1000 core), plus tax and the requirement to install the 6.0 cooler ($300 more) to validate the 3 year/36K mile warranty. I’d save shipping – a good thing.

By the way, from BTS (as of yesterday) the cost for a 4R100 is $5000 (+$1000 core) $350 shipping to NY, and 4-6 week wait, yes 1.5 months! Of course it is guaranteed for life and custom tuned.

I checked Jasper – apparently they only sell to installers. Good warranty though 3 year/100K miles.

Old 03-10-2016, 10:48 AM
tweak1029
Freshman User
ETE Reman | Remanufactured, Rebuilt & Used Auto Transmissions & Repair

Pretty sure these are the guys that do parts store / rockauto transmissions. It looks like they extend their warranty to the private labels (3 yr / unlimited miles parts & labor, "no hassle"). They have auto shops ( ETE ) in Waukesha and Milwaukee, WI, that I'd expect use the ETE Reman units often.

As you mentioned the Rockauto price doesn't count the $300 in extra shipping you'll pay or taxes, if applicable. For me, Rockauto vs. Oreilly's is only about a $350 difference, but when you add to that the possible difficulty of getting to a place to ship the core back, the time, and the fuel I start to question if it's worth it. I'm sure warranty claims won't compensate your shipping or time fees. I'd definitely contact Rockauto or their ETE private label and find out about all of the specifics before you make your purchase.

Replacing the cooler on a failed transmission or adding an inline filter is good practice. There could be junk in there that will ruin your new transmission.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:12 PM
SoarX
New User
Originally Posted by tweak1029
ETE Reman | Remanufactured, Rebuilt & Used Auto Transmissions & Repair

Pretty sure these are the guys that do parts store / rockauto transmissions. It looks like they extend their warranty to the private labels (3 yr / unlimited miles parts & labor, "no hassle"). They have auto shops ( ETE ) in Waukesha and Milwaukee, WI, that I'd expect use the ETE Reman units often.

As you mentioned the Rockauto price doesn't count the $300 in extra shipping you'll pay or taxes, if applicable. For me, Rockauto vs. Oreilly's is only about a $350 difference, but when you add to that the possible difficulty of getting to a place to ship the core back, the time, and the fuel I start to question if it's worth it. I'm sure warranty claims won't compensate your shipping or time fees. I'd definitely contact Rockauto or their ETE private label and find out about all of the specifics before you make your purchase.

Replacing the cooler on a failed transmission or adding an inline filter is good practice. There could be junk in there that will ruin your new transmission.
So, I called RockAuto, shipping to my house in NY is $153 (apparently there is a warehouse in Baltimore). This price includes free core pickup at your house and return shipping cost.

The person I spoke with couldn't give me the details of the warranty - i.e. who pays shipping (both ways), labor, etc should there be a warranty claim.

Good suggestion on changing the cooler and adding a filter - definitely will do that.

More to follow....

Old 03-10-2016, 12:27 PM
SoarX
New User
Originally Posted by Tom
$2,339.07 for that one. I thought my link would leave the selling dealer set, but apparently not.

Press the link to select the dealer you're shopping for, use zip 55110, and select Autonation Ford White Bear Lake, and you'll see their selling price I listed above. They've been well known for years for selling significantly under MSRP to internet customers.

The interesting thing is that if you go there in person you have to ask for their "internet price". Otherwise they'll sell it to you at or close to MSRP.
Wow!, that is a good price - $500 cheaper - unfortunately I'm in NY and that is a 20 hour drive one way. Wonder why the huge difference in dealer prices? Maybe their distribution warehouse is nearby?

Either way, gives me a little ammo to talk my Ford Dealer down a bit - thanks!

Old 03-10-2016, 01:00 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by SoarX
Wow!, that is a good price - $500 cheaper - unfortunately I'm in NY and that is a 20 hour drive one way. Wonder why the huge difference in dealer prices? Maybe their distribution warehouse is nearby?

Either way, gives me a little ammo to talk my Ford Dealer down a bit - thanks!
Look up Tasca Ford. They are in Connecticut and Rhode Island, and they're also well known for discounted internet pricing.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:12 PM
SoarX
New User
Originally Posted by Tom
Look up Tasca Ford. They are in Connecticut and Rhode Island, and they're also well known for discounted internet pricing.
yes, you are correct, called them and they were willing to beat any price I could get from my local dealer - thanks!

Old 03-12-2016, 04:17 PM
ligito
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have a local transmission shop?
See about their quality and pricing.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:15 AM
ametzker
Senior User
Have you considered Monster transmissions. I know they build a great trans and for your application you can get one for under 2k. Heavy Duty Diesel 4R100 4wd Transmission, Monster 4R100 Transmission, HD 4R100 Transmission, Rebuilt 4R100 Transmission, Ford Heavy Duty 4R1

Quick Reply: Any Experience with RockAuto 4R100 Trans?