1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1956 FORD COE C600 BUILD

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
1956 FORD COE C600 BUILD

Well my FTE friends....

I bought another truck...

1956 Ford C600 COE

Some body has already installed this cab onto a 3/4 ton 8 lug 53-56 pickup chassis.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:24 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

The truck was stuffed full of extra parts that I put into a small trailer for the ride home

Old 07-18-2015, 04:35 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

as well as some COE specific parts...

The white ones on the top left are in great shape. Those cover plates go on the bottom door hinges to cover the bolts on the door. They are hard to find in good shape.

Having never seen a Coe rear cab mount in person I have to suspect these are COE specific.

as well as the COE/Big Job grab handles and the COE specific hook locking latches.

Some door hinges and a couple different hood hinges.

I haven't inspected the hood hinges on the C600 to see if they are the same as the Regular trucks but I would assume they are the same ??

Old 07-18-2015, 04:40 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

A huge pile of vintage Wiper arms...

Two sets of 53-55 window regulators

A small pile of 53-55 interior parts.

Some rotten heater boxes... few different years there.

A huge pile of marker light trim....

any idea what this is???

Old 07-18-2015, 04:52 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

The truck overall is in good shape. Hell this cab is better than the cab I started with for my Crew Cab Project.

At some point in the trucks life somebody repaired the floors with some new sheet metal.

Their repair looks good. I will need to repair and grind down some areas. But overall its not Swiss cheese.

The drain for the Fuel tank is rotten... and will need to be removed.

The rockers on both sides will need some attention.

As well as both door bottoms.

I did get another pair of COE doors, original 56 hood with the C600 emblems, and another upper fender/valence/splash shield/radiator horn assy. But it started raining so I had to wrap it up for today.

The Major thing that is missing is the Steps!!!! Of all the stuff that came with the truck the stupid steps are missing.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:07 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Very nice pile of parts! That's the way I like to buy them already apart. The top set of window regulators are earlier than the 53-55 look to be 48-52 style to me. Lots of great parts. The hood hinges for a COE are COE specific

Old 07-18-2015, 11:06 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool project!

Hope you find some steps.....another member here has been searching for some for quite a while.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:57 AM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Here I is! I have been looking for steps for a long time, with no success. I was going to buy another C600 just for a good set of steps, but then I'd be stuck with a parts vehicle minus the steps.
The steps were the first thing to go on these, because of their close proximity to wet farm ground and constant use.

Finally, Terry of Terry's F100s was persuaded by my constant nagging to make the complete set assembly, with the skirt, out of fiberglass, to stop my whining. As of last week, he had made the molds, and the first set will be ready in the next to weeks. You might want to contact him and let him know you are interested. Terry's F-100 Parts Stromsburg, NE 68666 . Terry is a straight shooter and a great guy.

I have mounted my '56 C600 on a 2003 E350 chassis, and will be final welding in the next few weeks.

Good luck n your project.
Regards, Mark.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:54 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen

Here I is! I have been looking for steps for a long time, with no success. I was going to buy another C600 just for a good set of steps, but then I'd be stuck with a parts vehicle minus the steps.
The steps were the first thing to go on these, because of their close proximity to wet farm ground and constant use.

Finally, Terry of Terry's F100s was persuaded by my constant nagging to make the complete set assembly, with the skirt, out of fiberglass, to stop my whining. As of last week, he had made the molds, and the first set will be ready in the next to weeks. You might want to contact him and let him know you are interested. Terry's F-100 Parts Stromsburg, NE 68666 . Terry is a straight shooter and a great guy.

I have mounted my '56 C600 on a 2003 E350 chassis, and will be final welding in the next few weeks.

Good luck n your project.
Regards, Mark.

Mark,

thanks for the photo's

Do you have a build thread going? I would love to check it out.

I will have to look into the fiberglass ones if I cannot find any steel ones.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Badmoonreizen
Laughing Gas
Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
I post pictures in my album as I progress, look under Badmoonreizen. I found plenty od steel steps, but all attached to $3,000.00 and up vehicles.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:42 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

When I picked up the truck the owner told me he had another truck in the yard, and that if it had the steps I could take those.

I made another trip to the yard on Sunday. Well after spending an hour wondering around the yard I finally found the 2nd truck.

I was happy to see the second, but very disappointed to find that there were no steps.

The second truck did show me what else my truck is missing.

So besides the steps... I am also missing the cab step/battery tray/fender support crossmember.

The second truck he had was pretty bad. And of course this crossmember was trashed.

It also turns out I am missing the inner fenders..... didn't even think about those things.... The crusty truck did have a nice set of inner fenders that I will be going back for when it cools down a bit.

I will also grab the one rear cab step bracket that was still on the truck .

Old 07-20-2015, 06:43 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Badmoonreizen
I post pictures in my album as I progress, look under Badmoonreizen. I found plenty od steel steps, but all attached to $3,000.00 and up vehicles.

I did find another truck fairly locally, but I cannot justify $2500 for another cab, just for the steps and maybe a few other parts.

the hood and fenders looked about the same condition as I already have.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:03 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Tom, that's me you are emailing about steps in Akron and I don't have any. All I have left is the blue and white body

Old 07-21-2015, 05:14 AM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
Tom, that's me you are emailing about steps in Akron and I don't have any. All I have left is the blue and white body

Lol. Small world.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:16 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Seeing that I am in the planning / parts gathering phase of my project.....

Chassis options are on my mind.

The ford van chassis seems to be the most used option.

Either the E250/350 SRW or E350/450 DRW , cube, cutaway, or step.

460 gas or 7.3L diesel.

Then comes the Freightliner step van chassis. This chassis can be had with an Allison automatic transmission and a cummins diesel.

And my third Option is the F450/F550 Ford Truck chassis with a 7.3L diesel.

My only issue with the most popular E series option is the Wheels. Being a Truck equipment parts guy I see a lot of the vans. The wheels stick out like a soar thumb as being an E series chassis. The E series chassis comes with 16", 8 lug, 8 round hand hole wheels.

I would prefer to run 19.5, 10 lug wheels from something like a F450/550.

Now the freightliner mt-35 chassis comes with 19.5 6 lug wheels.

The Freightliner and Superduty F450/550 Chassis fetch the most money.

The van chassis is certainly cheaper and more readily available. But the wheel choices are bothering me.

Input????

Quick Reply: 1956 FORD COE C600 BUILD