6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

OBDII Monitors - Some General Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
OBDII Monitors - Some General Info

Many time a new poster will ask a question about an issue with their truck and the first reply will include the question "Do you have a ScanGauge or other OBDII monitor to check _______ with?". Sometimes you can hear the silence of the original poster as the gears are turning, Whaatt?" So, I'll try to briefly describe some of what's available and throw in a little general info along with some rumor and innuendo. I'm aiming to help folks that are new to this subject so this probably won't be much help for you seasoned veterans.

GENERAL INFO:
If you're not familiar with these devices, what your looking at is something that will display error codes and ask the PCM (Power-train Control Module) questions. This allows you to see the values the various sensors are reporting, and the commands the PCM is sending to the various actuators. For example you can see your oil temp, fan speed, or battery voltage. You can verify your shifter is in drive or your fuel tank is half full or your speed is really 60mph. You can monitor you FICM voltage or see how long the injectors are staying open. A few devices on the truck are both sensors and actuators like the EGR valve, in these cases you can see how much the PCM is commanding it open and how open it says it is at the same time. As you can imagine this is all good stuff if you are trying to repair your own truck. I would guess there are more than 100 of these values you can monitor (depending on the device you are using). These OBDII monitors generally don't send commands to the PCM, you can't mess up your truck if you press the wrong button or turn it off at the wrong time. There are other devices broadly referred to as "tuners" or "programmers" that can alter the behavior of the PCM but we'll skip over those for now.

An important first piece of info is that no matter which device you buy, it won't read fuel pressure, low-side (crankcase) oil pressure, or exhaust gas temperature without adding sensors. Some devices will accept "add-on" sensors or you can add stand alone gauges for these values, but our trucks weren't built with the necessary sensors for these readings.

All the devices connect to the OBDII connector under the dash. No additional wiring is required unless you purchase a model that monitors the "add on" sensors mentioned above.

OBDII ADAPTERS:

Wired Adapter

Wi-Fi Adapter

Bluetooth Adapter

These OBDII adapters (the term you'll want to use in your favorite search engine) can be connected to your phone, laptop, or tablet style computer. Be aware they are specific to the operating system of the device you'll be connecting to, be it one of the many flavors of Windows, iOS, or Android.
Three connection types are available, Wired, Bluetooth, and WI-FI. The wired connection (to USB) can be a bit quicker for checking power up readings because of the several seconds necessary for the "handshake" on the wireless side of the connection when you turn the ignition key to "on" but the wireless units are pretty handy also. For you Techie folks, these are mostly ELM 327 based adapters and I believe the latest version is 2.5. Prices start at under $20 and top out near $200 depending mostly on operating system.

SPECIFIC DEVICES:

I'll skip the Ford IDS, obviously the most powerful (and one of the more expensive) option, as well as systems from Snap-on, MAC, Cornwell, etc. If you have a big budget or plan on opening a shop this is the way to go.

HAND HELD SCANNER:

While not very popular here on FTE, handheld scanners which are available at the auto parts store and online can be a good option. You'll want something that clearly says it's CAN compliant (Controller Area Network- the protocol your truck uses) and can display "real time" and "freeze frame" "sensor data" and the most important "live" data. There are many inexpensive units that simply retrieve trouble codes. While that can be handy, what your looking for will display data from individual sensors in real time. If it's capable of doing that it will be prominently stated on the box, no need to read all the small print. It will normally cost $180 and up and often has the added benefit of addressing the ABS module and even the transmission on some models. I recommend something with a large, back-lit display also.

SOFTWARE FOR YOUR COMPUTER:

AutoEnginuity: https://www.autoenginuity.com/

AutoEnginuity or AE is a popular software package here. It includes the necessary cables for connecting and software for YOUR laptop for around $360 with the Ford software bundle. Very capable of puling trouble codes and seeing all sensors and actuators, it also includes some user initiated tests similar to Fords IDS. I don't own this but I have read a few posts of issues concerning computer OS updates. If this sounds like what you might want, start a thread and ask some questions. Many members here speak AE.

OTHER SOFTWARE:
Many times, when you buy an OBDII adapter, some software will come with it. I have used the OBDwiz and found it capable and works with many makes of vehicle. For our Trucks, FORScan is a very powerful tool and currently it's available as a free download as it's still in BETA testing. Available for Windows OS only and as the name implies it is Ford specific. It does includes some user initiated tests. Easy to learn and powerful it's worth a look if you plan to use a windows based device in your garage.

STAND ALONE MONITORS:

ScanGauge II: http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Probably the most popular device, the ScanGauge II is a simple and inexpensive option. An all-in-one device it doesn't require an adaptor. It's a nondescript looking grey box with four buttons and a calculator like display. It can display four values at a time. It requires you input long strings of numbers to setup the custom "XGauges" you will need for your truck. I believe Bullet Proof Diesel offers one pre-programmed for a few dollars more. They are available over the counter at most AutoZones and Camping World for about $160 and as low as $120 online if you do some shopping. Inputting the codes isn't a big problem and there are several good Instructional videos on YouTube. and a LONG list of parameters to choose from. It's a solid monitor as far as reading sensors and actuators but it doesn't always display trouble codes that have been set in the PCM. While it does display the most common codes that turn on the Check Engine Light (CEL), on many of the "soft" codes (no CEL) It will show a code is present but not tell you what it is. It has quite a following and people often swap codes for different parameters when the need arises.

Edge Insight: Products | Edge Products

Much nicer looking than the ScanGauge with a color display and touch screen. No programming is required. Many aftermarket mounting options.These devices look a lot like a GPS unit. $300-$400 retail, sometimes you can catch them on sale. These devices pull trouble codes, display almost all the info the others do, and are even video capable if you want to add a back-up camera. Edge also offers devices that can "tune" your truck for performance. See the link above for more info.

DashDAQ: http://www.drewtech.com/downloads/da...ers_Manual.pdf

A Linux based computer for your truck. With an SD card slot you can view pictures and (I think) play music with it. The link above is for the users manual if you are interested. I have heard a few complaints about unresponsive Tech support. At around $575 it's an expensive but powerful device.

Bully Dog Watch Dog: Bully Dog - WatchDog Multi-function Gauge

Bully Dog makes a ton of products for diesel trucks. They make some nice stuff but unfortunately they haven't been a big seller for the Ford 6.0. I think part of the problem was with their tuners. They have a reputation for being hard on the trans. Anyway, the Watch Dog will display four gauges at once, has a driving coach to help you get better mileage, and does some performance tests. It's expandable to monitor the add-on gauges. At $300 it isn't the best bargain (in my opinion) but you might like the looks of it or get some use out of the unique driving coach feature.

SMART PHONE BASED DEVICES:

DashBoss: http://www.dashboss.com/

The DashBoss Device

Your phones screen on DashBoss (one of many available views)

If you are an iPhone or iPad user (or even iPod) user, you may like the idea of using your iDevice to monitor your truck. DashBoss is a bluetooth device on a fairly long cord that plugs into trucks OBDII port as mentioned above and works with the DashBoss software downloadable from the App Store for free. Check The link above to order the device at $170 for the basic setup, it does support up to two "add on" sensors with the purchase of the available wiring and sensor kits. As with all things Apple, it looks sharp, is very stable, and supports display of many values at the same time in both gauge style and digital number displays. You can log data then e-mail the file to yourself and open it in a spreadsheet or make a graph chart like the computer based devices. And it does a great job of pulling trouble codes. As with the other operating systems there are other options out there but this is the most popular. The devices are proprietary, don't expect to purchase a DashBoss device and run another software program from the App Store with it.

Android Phones and Tablets:

Torque Pro:

One of many available views in Torque Pro.

For you Android phone users there's Torque Pro. At $4.95 this is the least expensive option available. Bluetooth connection only, this device looks good and works well, I've seen some users pick up a small tablet computer to run it on. Sprint will sell you one for $49.99 (with contract). Get the Bluetooth adapter for $20 and you're up and running! How about running it on your Amazon Kindle? Lots of options here. And again, there are numerous software developers out there working hard to earn your money. Torque Pro isn't the only option out there for android, just one of the good ones. There is a free version called simply "Torque" but it's better to skip to the paid version.

I'm sure I missed something. Feel free to ask questions on any of this stuff right here in this thread. Or start another. There is someone here who knows all the details on the devices I have mentioned and more.

Last edited by Rusty Axlerod; 08-19-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Clean-up
Old 08-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great post! This will be a popular copy/paste link.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:37 PM
KDAVID1
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Id rep you if I wasnt on my tablet

Using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Awesome post Rusty and thank you for putting this together...

Old 08-12-2014, 09:47 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Another post proving why the best people on the world are on this forum. Sweet post, Eric. You spent an awful lot of time to help members who have yet to log onto this site.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:26 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice write up Eric , this has to be on the top pasty list .

Old 08-13-2014, 12:01 AM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One additional point I can add about Dashboss. It is also upgradeable to monitor two additional PIDs. I chose exhaust gas temp as one of mine. Later I will add the fuel pressure option.

Nice write up. Very helpful for folks looking and comparing for their gauge upgrade options. Reps sent.

One edit, I guess I need to spread some reps around first. Sorry Eric.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:04 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
for Eric, nice write up.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:52 AM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well done

very well done. A lot of work went into that, my hat is off to you.

One of my biggest draw backs has been unable to load pictuers.
Pictuers male a world of difference in a presentation.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:33 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice work Rusty, this should either be pinned to the top of the forum or added to the tech folder. I tried to rep you but the rep ***** wouldn't allow it.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:41 AM
TxMav
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Great post Rusty! I never would have bought my 6.0 if this forum didn't exist. I learned a lot (and have much more to learn) before pulling the trigger. This is just another example of how helpful the folks here are.

Old 08-13-2014, 04:58 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Thanks guys! I know we've all wanted to put all that together at one time or another. ��

Old 08-13-2014, 05:10 PM
Mr.Nobody
Elder User
Repers! This is as close to reps as I can get for you ATM. This is tech folder worthy for sure.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Will somebody PLEASE REP Eric for MEEEE

Old 08-13-2014, 11:53 PM
Rellick
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04badford
Will somebody PLEASE REP Eric for MEEEE
Reps given!

One thing to note, however, is that all ODBII Bluetooth adapters are NOT created equal. That cheapo little blue one, for instance, does not work well with Torque. It makes mine stop reading oil temp, for instance. Bluetooth Adapters - Torque OBD2 Wiki gives a breakdown of a lot of different types.

Quick Reply: OBDII Monitors - Some General Info