6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

RECON LED Cab Light Install with Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RECON LED Cab Light Install with Pictures

I got my Recon cab lights in late last week. After seeing all the activity on this board over the last few weeks regarding this subject, I decided it was time for me to give it a shot.

Overall a very easy project. It took me a total of around four hours to complete. I kept adjusting, remeasuring, eye-balling, etc. before I drilled each light. If I had to do this again it would take half the time.

Some interesting notes about my install:
  • I used a 1/2" knock out tool from Harbor Freight that worked great.
  • I bought stainless steel bolts, washers, and nuts to replace the sheet metal screws that come with the Recon kit.
  • I used blue painters tape to cover the work area on the cab. This worked well marking my measurements with a carpenters pencil.
  • The center lights were the most difficult only because of their location. The side marker lights I simply stepped on the running boards.
  • The headliner is simple to remove and reinstall. A five minute job each way.
  • The Recon wiring harness worked well. I tapped into a yellow wire with a green stripe.
  • I originally read on someone elses install on the Internet where they used a wire on the back of the headlight switch. I tried this and it appeard to work well. Then when I tried to take a picture of the lights they were cycling at a very high frequency. Too high for the human eye, but a camera sees it all - similar to trying to take a picture of a spinning propeller on an airplane - you get the motion that is happening. I figured this would be really bad for the electronics so I changed the wire to the Yellow / Green combination stated above.
  • I used a high-quality clear silicon sealer around all the holes. I also used blue loc-tite on the stainless steel hardware so it would not loosen. I wanted to use stainless nylon nuts, but couldn't find them in the size I needed them and didn't want to wait.

Attached Images        
Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
More pictures from the install:

Attached Images      
Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So the second time you install should be easy right!? (Hint, hint lol). Looks great man.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:21 PM
DSLPWRD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice job. I just got mine last week, so now I need to put them on!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 PM
Thom12
Senior User
Hell I have been trying to work up the nerve to do my first fuel filter changes and your drilling your truck!

Nice job!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

dschuffert - would you mind giving a step by step method for removing headliner? I don't have sunroof - so not worried about that - but I am worried about airbags & clips involved..

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-01-2012, 05:19 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Byram
dschuffert - would you mind giving a step by step method for removing headliner? I don't have sunroof - so not worried about that - but I am worried about airbags & clips involved..

Thanks in advance...
My truck does have the moon roof, so I am not sure if there are a few more clips or not if you do not have one. I removed the sun visor on each side and let it hang from it's power wire for the vanity mirror lights. There are two torx bits screws closest to the each door and then one torx screw for the block that the other end of the visor 'clicks' into. There are a total of six screws between the two visors. I then pulled down the center overhead console unit. It simply pulls down and is held in place by friction clips into the upper frame of the cab. From here I could unplug the two electrical harnesses that run the moon roof, cab lights, and power sliding window. There are then two phillips screws that remove a small white plastic tray that the overhead console unit rests in. I then removed the hand rests on each side of the cab. They each had two 7MM bolts under their cosmetic cover.

At this point I pealed back the rubber trim along the doors and the liner and slowly let the liner down enough so I could work in the front. There is velcro at the front of the moon roof that holds up the liner when supported with all the other screws and console. I was very careful not to crease the head liner as I was moving it down and while I was working. For me it sat where it needed to and there was no issues.

You can see the airbags and related hardware above the doors and down the front support braces. I never made contact with it and it was completely out of the way. Though it is always staring you in the face while you are working in the cab - made me nervous for no real reason.

Attached Images   
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Thanks - A Lot... I am always temperamental about inside cab stuff.. That should help a lot.. Great Job on your cab lights....

Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sgt93
So the second time you install should be easy right!? (Hint, hint lol). Looks great man.
Thanks. I just noticed you are also in IL. I am more than happy to assist if you if you ever get the urge to install cab lights!

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dschuffert
Thanks. I just noticed you are also in IL. I am more than happy to assist if you if you ever get the urge to install cab lights!
I appreciate it but am a baby when it comes to this LOL. Drilling through the roof scares the crap out of me.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 AM
Gunny77
Senior User
Good job.

I used the same Harbor freight knock out punch and it broke on the first hole

I also reduced the hole size to 7/16, no need for a 1/2". Just needed the recon light plug to clear.

BTW, I found the nylock SS nuts at Lowes.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM
frt2599
Senior User
dschuffert... how did you measure the lights (how far apart and how far back). Also where do you live in Illinois? I assume you used the Recon wiring harnesses?

Thanks
Bob

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by frt2599
dschuffert... how did you measure the lights (how far apart and how far back). Also where do you live in Illinois? I assume you used the Recon wiring harnesses?

Thanks
Bob
Hi Bob. I measured the to the center of the center hole for all the lights. I measured 5.5 inches from the windshield. The windshield curves slightly back and this gives the lights a nice small 'V' formation. I simply eye-balled the center light in line with the stem for the rear view mirror and then measured off of that light. I measured 8 inches for each light adjacent to the center light. I then measured 13 inches for the last side light.

I did use the Recon wiring harness. It worked quite well, comes with the light kit, and was easy to tap the running lights wire (there are many locations along the driver side to do this).

I live out in the country in Beecher. This is about 45 miles due South of Chicago and a mile from the Indiana border. Let me know if you are close, you are more than welcome to bring your truck over to my garage and I can help you install them here.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 AM
frt2599
Senior User
Hi Bob. I measured the to the center of the center hole for all the lights. I measured 5.5 inches from the windshield. The windshield curves slightly back and this gives the lights a nice small 'V' formation. I simply eye-balled the center light in line with the stem for the rear view mirror and then measured off of that light. I measured 8 inches for each light adjacent to the center light. I then measured 13 inches for the last side light.

I did use the Recon wiring harness. It worked quite well, comes with the light kit, and was easy to tap the running lights wire (there are many locations along the driver side to do this).

I live out in the country in Beecher. This is about 45 miles due South of Chicago and a mile from the Indiana border. Let me know if you are close, you are more than welcome to bring your truck over to my garage and I can help you install them here.

Thanks for the info... I found this on Recon's web site so sounds like your measurements are right on. But when you measure 5.5 inches from the windshield rubber, it that include the rubber? Meaning to you meansure from the front side of the rubber (windshield) or the back (roof)?

All lights 5.5" from windshield rubber to center of
plug hole of light. (7/8" hole)
The lights on either side of center are 8" to hole
center

The next lights out are 13" to hole centers.

|
----- 13"----- --8"-- --8"-- ----- 13" -----|

I also have a moon roof and was concerned about clearance but apparently not an issue.

I saw another post that said he used a 7/16" hole instead of 1/2". Guess you only need it big enough to get the plug through.

I live in Illinois just across the river from St. Louis so we are pretty far apart but thanks for the offer. Guess I better get the lights ordered and quit putting this off

I see you went with the amber lights. Are you happy with them. Was thinking about going with the smoked or clear myself?

Thanks
Bob

Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM
dschuffert
Posting Guru
I measured the 5.5 inches from the edge of the roof line where the rubber meets the metal. I used a 1/2" knock out punch that cut a nice clean hole for the LED wire. I could have gone smaller but 1/2" was the smallest knock out punch I have.

No issues with moon roof clearance. Actually the moon roof makes the install a little easier - you can reach right up there and tighten the bolts while in the cab.

I like the way the amber lights look and quite happy with them. Good luck - it is an easy project, just time consuming, but very rewarding.

Quick Reply: RECON LED Cab Light Install with Pictures