2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Water Separator Keeps filling with Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 02:24 PM
ytechie
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks all. Appreciate the help - this forum is an *insanely* good resource.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:45 AM
2009kr
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
BTW, since you are new to diesels... When you drain your separator, you need to prime the fuel systems several times before starting the engine.

Old 03-22-2019, 08:58 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had to say this is awesome. Drive safe to Wisconsin!

Old 03-29-2020, 03:32 PM
dunnbrother
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question on diesel fuel filter(s)

So I’ve got a question. I went and replaced my OEM fuel filter (near engine) with an H&S conversion kit that allows me to simply spin on a Baldwin filter like you would an oil filter. Quality unit made of billet aluminum and seems like it will be convenient and save me money by not having to buy the OEM canister all the time. I then went to purchase the fuel/water separator filter down near the fuel tank and it seems it is only purchasable as a kit and includes the canister near the engine I no longer need...at least as an internet purchase. Does anyone know if I can buy just the fuel/water separator without the canister if I go to the Ford dealer? This is for a 2019 Power Stroke. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2020, 03:44 PM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 415 Likes on 237 Posts
The one from Ford is a kit and you get both in the same box. They figure, if you need to replace one, you should replace both. There have been a few looking for just the bottom filter but I have not seen a link yet that sells just the lower filter. You might try eBay.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:17 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have drained several ounces of fuel from my water separator 3 or 4 times, never seen a drop of water. On another forum, maybe he's here too, there's a guy that claims he drained 4-5 gallons of water from his. No warning light, truck still works. Lol, now everything Ive read on here, tells me that these trucks are extremely sensitive to water, a small amount can make for big problems.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:46 PM
CJONE
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ytechie
the seperator works because water weighs more than diesel and it "settles" to the bottom of the seperator. There you can drain the water off until you get to the diesel on top of the water, then stop. It is a good thing to not have any water in the seperator. That means you are buying good fuel. If you regularly see water you need to buy fuel somewhere else. Dont let some of these guys get to you, it is mostly toung in cheek ribbing!! Cj

Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 PM
CJONE
Senior User
Originally Posted by ytechie
Originally Posted by ForCal
I have drained several ounces of fuel from my water separator 3 or 4 times, never seen a drop of water. On another forum, maybe he's here too, there's a guy that claims he drained 4-5 gallons of water from his. No warning light, truck still works. Lol, now everything Ive read on here, tells me that these trucks are extremely sensitive to water, a small amount can make for big problems.
4-5 gallons out of a seperator that maybe will hold a few quarts at best. He must have been draining the radiator!! Or smoked his lunch and was draining his drinking water cooler. Cj

Old 03-29-2020, 08:00 PM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CJONE
4-5 gallons out of a seperator that maybe will hold a few quarts at best. He must have been draining the radiator!! Or smoked his lunch and was draining his drinking water cooler. Cj
The owner that had the 4-5 gallons of water drain out had a 2017 model which had the problem of fuel continuing to drain when the petcock on the frame mounted filter housing was open. He actually did drain that much water out of his fuel system. It’s unbelievable but true. 😬

Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by TeddyD
The owner that had the 4-5 gallons of water drain out had a 2017 model which had the problem of fuel continuing to drain when the petcock on the frame mounted filter housing was open. He actually did drain that much water out of his fuel system. It’s unbelievable but true. 😬

For me, its not so hard to believe that a fuel tank could have that much in it, somehow, but the no warning light, and no fuel system damage is hard to believe. That part makes the whole thing hard to believe.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:54 PM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ForCal
For me, its not so hard to believe that a fuel tank could have that much in it, somehow, but the no warning light, and no fuel system damage is hard to believe. That part makes the whole thing hard to believe.
Same here. I gave that user a hard time like all the other guys on that thread but he sure stuck to his guns. I believe him now but why wouldn’t the truck fire off warnings or why didn’t the CP4 grenade? Weird for sure man. That was a lot of water. Lol

Old 03-30-2020, 06:58 AM
CJONE
Senior User
The only way that is possible is to have the fuel tank with that much water in it. The seperator had to have been full and that would have put pure water through the fuel system and we all know what happens even with water being emulsified in the fuel. The truck will NOT run on water. The only way for this to be true is someone just dumped water in the tank and the owner just caught it WITHOUT running the truck. So yea I agree with you guys the truck did NOT run, no way no how. Any of these engines with HP common rail fuel systems will fail with water inclusion even emulsified that is why the old trick of running isopropal alcohol is not a good idea. I am setting up a new Cummins in a hydraulic power unit for the PA oil fields and I put the 2 supplied filter and seperator in the system AND a extra primary filter the is LARGE to try to catch anything before it get to the engine filters. Cj

Old 03-30-2020, 08:41 AM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CJONE
The only way that is possible is to have the fuel tank with that much water in it. The seperator had to have been full and that would have put pure water through the fuel system and we all know what happens even with water being emulsified in the fuel. The truck will NOT run on water. The only way for this to be true is someone just dumped water in the tank and the owner just caught it WITHOUT running the truck. So yea I agree with you guys the truck did NOT run, no way no how. Any of these engines with HP common rail fuel systems will fail with water inclusion even emulsified that is why the old trick of running isopropal alcohol is not a good idea. I am setting up a new Cummins in a hydraulic power unit for the PA oil fields and I put the 2 supplied filter and seperator in the system AND a extra primary filter the is LARGE to try to catch anything before it get to the engine filters. Cj
I completely agree with everything you said. It wasn’t my truck that did that. I can link that thread if you want to see it. It’s really unbelievable. Lol

Old 03-30-2020, 07:33 PM
CJONE
Senior User
I completely agree with everything you said. It wasn’t my truck that did that. I can link that thread if you want to see it. It’s really unbelievable. Lol
i hear ya! No need to link, we are on the same page!

Old 03-30-2020, 10:26 PM
First Dually
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sunnyside42

WOW!. Your truck makes C******nay!

Quick Reply: Water Separator Keeps filling with Diesel