2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Water Separator Keeps filling with Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 11:07 AM
ytechie
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Exclamation Water Separator Keeps filling with Diesel

Installed a titan tank 2 weeks ago.

Emptied my water separator yesterday, and 1/3 GALLON of something came out. I'm not sure, but it seems like it's diesel.

Went to empty it today, and lots is coming out. I didn't let it finish. What could possibly be wrong? Of course i'm headed off to a big trip from Wisconsin to Texas next weekend, so if it's something major, I'm in big trouble.\

After I emptied it, I think I heard it filling when I ran the truck afterward.

I'm pretty sure we connected everything correctly, there were 3 of us and we went very slow.

Please Help!

Old 03-17-2019, 11:22 AM
Boasty
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems normal to me

Old 03-17-2019, 11:31 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
You can keep draining the water separator until the tanks empty. Diesel fuel is going to keep coming out I don't see the issue.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:36 AM
ytechie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
You can keep draining the water separator until the tanks empty. Diesel fuel is going to keep coming out I don't see the issue.
Wait, really?

This is all new to me, so forgive my ignorance. I read other threads where people just got a few drops out of their water separator. You're saying it's normal to fill up when the truck is run?

I feel like an idiot now.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 AM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
You can’t drain the separator until the fuel tank is empty or it would make it damn hard to change that filter. When you drain the separator, let about 8oz come out and let it flow into a glass jar. That way you can see if there is water in your diesel. The water separator just helps separate the water from the fuel and let’s the diesel flow through. You have to drain the separator completely to change that fuel filter. If I remember correctly, it’s about 1/2 gallon capacity. It might be more but don’t worry, you can’t drain your tank.

You will hear it fill up when you turn the key to the on position because the fuel system is priming itself. That separator is always full of diesel. If water is the only fluid pouring out of that fitting, you have bigger problems. Lol

Old 03-17-2019, 12:02 PM
dzlbudman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
This post might win the “post” of the year award! 😂😂😂

Old 03-17-2019, 12:09 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,667 Likes on 2,740 Posts
Originally Posted by ytechie
Wait, really?

This is all new to me, so forgive my ignorance. I read other threads where people just got a few drops out of their water separator. You're saying it's normal to fill up when the truck is run?

I feel like an idiot now.
You should _always_ be able to get at least a quart of fluid out of the water separator. If you're getting good fuel then it will be 100% diesel. If there is any water in the separator then it will come out first and you'll be able to tell the difference. I use a clear glass jar so I can see exactly what's in there. The opaque milk bottle may not let you see that there is a bit of water in the jug.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:12 PM
ytechie
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by dzlbudman
I'll happily take the *idiot* of the year award, or any title for that matter! I was freaking out thinking something was wrong. Like I said, I saw posts saying they only got a tiny bit of water out. I didn't realize diesel would come out too. So much for being called a separator! LOL!

Thanks for all the help everyone. It's all good now, and I also changed my fuel filters.

Hopefully this post will help someone else down the road.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 PM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As stated above, this is normal. The purpose of the separator is to keep water from being pumped into your engine, which would damage the engine. We want the separator to be full of diesel.
The purpose of draining it is to see if any water has collected in it.

I posted some additional information on the separator in this thread. Some have found it helpful also...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17618113

Old 03-17-2019, 12:16 PM
Sunnyside42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The idea of draining the water separator is to ensure that you don't have any water in there with your diesel. There will always be diesel in there. Don't sweat the noobish questions, we've all been there.

Here's my methodology:
  • About once a month drain about 1/2 a liter into the carafe.
  • I'll set the carafe aside, to settle, until the next time I want to drain the separator
  • I'll then dump that into an oil catch basin, which I'll eventually empty at my local hazmat drop-off facility

Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 PM
RedRage
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Idiot?

Idiot refers to a certain level of intelligence. You were just uninformed.
Your very smart for buying a Ford I must say.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:26 PM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ytechie
I'll happily take the *idiot* of the year award, or any title for that matter! I was freaking out thinking something was wrong. Like I said, I saw posts saying they only got a tiny bit of water out. I didn't realize diesel would come out too. So much for being called a separator! LOL!

Thanks for all the help everyone. It's all good now, and I also changed my fuel filters.

Hopefully this post will help someone else down the road.
I try not to let the arrogance of others get in the way of getting the information I need to be a good steward of the things I have.

I have never been afraid to ask questions about things I have yet to gain a good understanding of. You are not the only one on this forum that wants to learn more about the separator.

I am sure there are many things I could learn from you. Well done.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:30 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dzlbudman
POST OF THE YEAR!!! This should be a Sticky!!!

Old 03-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RedRage
Idiot refers to a certain level of intelligence. You were just uninformed.
Yes 100%! There is NO stupid question when it comes to taking care of a oil burner!!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:18 PM
dzlbudman
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
yTechie- it’s all in good fun! Answers to questions is what this forum is about. I must say, I laughed out loud at this one tho!

Quick Reply: Water Separator Keeps filling with Diesel