Mild 302 1989 F150

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:34 AM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd
I certainly want to have one. This is part of the reason I started this thread. In order to not buy something, or buy something wrong. Damnit apparently have a cat I don't need. So on inspection I won't get dinged for lack of an air pump. However I will get dinged for lack of a cat. In my past life I just would have gutted the cat an call it good. But now as I'm older I would prefer to keep it as clean as possible within reason.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...3500/overview/

This looks like it will work.

Or what about this one?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...0125/overview/
Either of those will do.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:31 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty happy with the end result. I added a magna flow cat and magnaflow muffler.

Smog pump is removed as well as all the associated lines. Plugged the back of the head with 5/8 x 1 bolts and copper washers.

The only issue is there is a diagram showing my belt setup (power steering, AC, alternator and an 84" belt. This is wrong. I ended up with 88"

Old 01-29-2020, 07:15 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski

If the original pushrods are straight and the ends not worn(have a close look at them) then they are good to reuse, otherwise get new stock length pushrods.
Exhaust is done and I'm happy with it. I have soo many projects this is slow as it runs perfectly at the moment. I will be pulling the trigger in March on all this.

I am wanting a bit more power though. So back up to Cam etc.

So just to make sure. This Camhttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...RoCynUQAvD_BwE

These lifters

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-832-16

These pushrods

I really don't know how good the stock ones are, and this is cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.

I can't remember but I can take the timing cover off without removing the oil pan correct?
Also is this the best Cam for what I'm doing?
Or are there others that would be better suited?
As far as rockers, with hydraulic lifters I just torque the nuts and should be good right?

I know I'll need lube and additive but is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks for the assistance.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:53 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Exhaust is done and I'm happy with it. I have soo many projects this is slow as it runs perfectly at the moment. I will be pulling the trigger in March on all this.

So just to make sure. This Camhttps://www.summitracing.com/parts/c...RoCynUQAvD_BwE

These lifters

These pushrods

I really don't know how good the stock ones are, and this is cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned.

I can't remember but I can take the timing cover off without removing the oil pan correct?
As far as rockers, with hydraulic lifters I just torque the nuts and should be good right?

No comment on the cam. The rockers are held down with bolts. Torque to 25 ft/lbs and forget about em. Timing cover can be removed with the oilpan in place, you may need to loosent he pan though to get the cover back on. Hopefully you have a one piece pan gasket, if not, you'll need to cut a cork pan gasket and replace the cut corners when going back on with the timing cover. Pushrods may or may not need to be replaced with a flat tappet cam. Roller pushrods wear on the upper ends because they don't rotate in service like flat tappet rods do.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:51 PM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
So my friend just did a cam on his 5.0 mustang. He had to take the heads off in order to get the roller lifters on #1 & #8 in. Do I need to worry about this if o go flat tappett?

Old 03-21-2020, 07:17 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
So my friend just did a cam on his 5.0 mustang. He had to take the heads off in order to get the roller lifters on #1 & #8 in. Do I need to worry about this if o go flat tappett?
No worries there. Not sure why your friend had problems unless he had a certain brand aftermarket head or linkbar roller lifters. With the O.E heads and many aftermarket heads, you can pull all the roller lifters out without removing the heads. I can do this with my Canfield heads. Only instance where you might have problems is a very high mileage engine with a lot of varnish build up on the bottom of the lifter sides under the bores, those can be a bitch to pull from the topside sometimes as the varnish buildup prevents the lifters from being lifted up and out of the bores

Old 03-24-2020, 08:37 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Originally Posted by baddad457
No worries there. Not sure why your friend had problems unless he had a certain brand aftermarket head or linkbar roller lifters. With the O.E heads and many aftermarket heads, you can pull all the roller lifters out without removing the heads. I can do this with my Canfield heads. Only instance where you might have problems is a very high mileage engine with a lot of varnish build up on the bottom of the lifter sides under the bores, those can be a bitch to pull from the topside sometimes as the varnish buildup prevents the lifters from being lifted up and out of the bores
Great thanks. I thought it was weird but its what we had to do.

Old 08-31-2020, 12:51 PM
hadfield4wd
Senior User

These lifters

These pushrods

Ok bringing this back up. As usual life got in the way. Anyway hoping to do this in the next couple of months. I have been told by some hot rodders here at work a roller cam will last longer than a flat tappet. Again I know the performance gains going to a roller cam are negligible i'm looking for longevity. I most likely will be keeping this for the foreseeable future so I want it to last a while.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:43 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Performance gains are determined by the lift/duration/overlap and all the other characteristics of each type of cam. If you're not going for ridiculous extremes in either type, the biggest thing that roller cam and lifters buy you is reduced friction, which gives the longer life and reduced wasted energy. That and the much easier break-in process, which can make or break a new cam installation.

But be prepared to pay much more for roller cams and lifters than flat versions.

Old 08-31-2020, 01:58 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Ok bringing this back up. As usual life got in the way. Anyway hoping to do this in the next couple of months. I have been told by some hot rodders here at work a roller cam will last longer than a flat tappet. Again I know the performance gains going to a roller cam are negligible i'm looking for longevity. I most likely will be keeping this for the foreseeable future so I want it to last a while.
The cam you listed is pretty close to the stock Ford F4TE roller cam used from 94 to 2001 in the pickups, vans and Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0's. A roller cam will last far longer than a flat tappet cam. Period. And there's no break-in for them. Just start it and run it. And as your 89 has a roller block to start with, there's no price difference in components. You could pull an F4TE cam, lifters, pushrods and the hardware from an Explorer and run it as is, as long as the donor 5.0 was properly maintained. Only thing here is how your ECM will handle the upgrade.

Old 09-01-2020, 05:29 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
The cam you listed is pretty close to the stock Ford F4TE roller cam used from 94 to 2001 in the pickups, vans and Explorer/Mountaineer 5.0's. A roller cam will last far longer than a flat tappet cam. Period. And there's no break-in for them. Just start it and run it. And as your 89 has a roller block to start with, there's no price difference in components. You could pull an F4TE cam, lifters, pushrods and the hardware from an Explorer and run it as is, as long as the donor 5.0 was properly maintained. Only thing here is how your ECM will handle the upgrade.
Is there a better cam that will be used? Is my current truck a roller cam? If so I was not aware of it. Also my computer is speed density correct?

I want to get the most out of it without making larger changes. Or is it better just to do the ECM changes? Granted I really only have about $1000 at this point so I was hoping to do it in stages. The cam now and a couple of years down the road (as budget allows) heads for more power.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:38 PM
baddad457
Post Fiend
Is my current truck a roller cam? NO, BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE A ROLLER BLOCK, UNLESS SOMEONE'S REPLACED THE ORIGINAL ENGINE. Also my computer is speed density correct? YEA, YOU'VE GOT SD.

I want to get the most out of it without making larger changes. Or is it better just to do the ECM changes? Granted I really only have about $1000 at this point so I was hoping to do it in stages. The cam now and a couple of years down the road (as budget allows) heads for more power.
You will need to make changes to the SD system to do more upgrades. No way around that.

Old 09-01-2020, 06:49 PM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
You will need to make changes to the SD system to do more upgrades. No way around that.
Thanks for the info. I'm ok with changing the SD. Just not now.

Old 09-03-2020, 06:02 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 966 Likes on 764 Posts
Is there a better cam that will be used? Is my current truck a roller cam? If so I was not aware of it.
You have an all original '89 F150 correct? If so that cam is a good option that will cooperate with the factory PCM but if you want more HP the Crane 444232 would be a better option.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:08 AM
hadfield4wd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
You have an all original '89 F150 correct? If so that cam is a good option that will cooperate with the factory PCM but if you want more HP the Crane 444232 would be a better option.
I really appreciate everyones help. I know I'm asking a lot of questions. I just don't know fuel injection and cams well. I want to go away from flat tappet. I was looking at the roller cams on summit. This is what I came up with. But none of the numbers match yours for the "more hp". Any thoughts on these or is there another roller cam that will work better?

Quick Reply: Mild 302 1989 F150