6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Alternator Info

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:02 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I've believed that it was worked out as stated in the '03 manual. I'm in the middle of my farm thing right now but I'll post the service manual literature that I have later tonight. My excitation is immediate. You can see that with the 110a, 140a, and the 230a. Randy has noted his L-N goes nuclear as soon as the engine starts. I really need to finish all my vids once Christmas is over.

That's why I mentioned there might be a change in strategy. My belief up to now was the people mentioning low voltage at GP engagement was due to anemic 110a alternators. And yeah, I thought if you would have a bad alt you would know.
Originally Posted by navistarnut
I didn't think it was at all unusual to have the low readings on the VLT pid until the glow plugs were done doing their thing. I noticed it right away after we bought it last year and it started to get colder out. The VLT and GPT pids go opposite directions in unison once the GPM shuts off.

This is the exact reason I tell my kid to leave the auto lights and blower off until the GPM shuts off.
Running a stock 110A and it keeps up just fine, even with an amp and subwoofer(not installed by me of course)

Have both of you go back and taken a look at this tread? >>> Alternator taking a crap, time to replace!

Old 12-02-2016, 06:48 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
Mines done that for as long as I can remember. I have dual alt. If I can get back over to my truck I'll get a scan gauge monitoring video of a startup and post to YouTube if you want. On initial startup even if it's mildly cold it cycles the glow plugs upon initial startup. That's why the PCM doesn't signal to the alt right of way to start charging due to the high amp draw.
The alternator turns on right away, it just can't keep up with the current draw so that's why you see battery voltage

Old 12-02-2016, 10:06 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Sean, no time to go through that thread again.

As I mentioned early, here is the text from the '03 Service Manual describing the Single vs Dual operations. And as before, my alternators gets all excited as soon as it's hears the starter rumble. The initial start of my alternator vid was for exactly this, to show it's the active and not delayed. And the '03 service manual has the primary alternator getting hot and bothered also at the start of the motor.

So this is how I thought all 6.0L years to be. Sean, do you have the same Service Manual documentation for the later years?

If the later 6.0 years has the primary alternator (and only alternator if single) stand down during GP operation then it puts into question the use of high output alternators on these year trucks, as it's the Glow Plug operational time that has the highest potential demand unless you have high draw accessories.

Old 12-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I'll have to go back to the books and have a look. I have not really ever looked for that info.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:53 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Sean, I was so tired last night I forgot to add the attachment.

For the 2003 MY in yellow is the dual alt and orange is the single alt. But in either case the main alternator is engaged at start. So we need to figure out when Ford changed charging methodology. Is it both single and dual alternators or just the dual alts as Pete and his brethren have seen.

Actually this info is getting to the point where a mod should pull the relative posts out and a new thread initiated.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:49 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I agree that it would be a good idea to move all this alternator data to it's own thread.

For some reason and it's been a while but I think the energize start is at start.
So one of the key questions should be not when but did Ford change that.

I'll pull out the paper copies of the manuals I have and also take a look in the PCED.
Also one other book I happen to have in paper only is the 2006 Truck Specifications Book
That one might have some of the early 2006 data once I have some time to read.

I found the relevant text in the Workshop Manual 414-00-1~2
I'll post the digital copy tonight.

Eyes are very tired. But for the most part the PCM only controls the
lower alt in a dual system and in a single it on at KO

Old 12-03-2016, 07:17 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Not by the 2003 literature. With a dual setup the pcm controls both, but the upper alt is commanded on at all times with key on. That's what's different with what Pete sees.

When or if, Pete stated he checked the excitation and it wasn't there until GP off on his truck and others trucks.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:29 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nuclear alternator

Old 12-03-2016, 12:25 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Not by the 2003 literature. With a dual setup the pcm controls both, but the upper alt is commanded on at all times with key on. That's what's different with what Pete sees.

When or if, Pete stated he checked the excitation and it wasn't there until GP off on his truck and others trucks.
I had a couple of minutes this morning while waiting for a customer to bring the first truck so
I back probed the exciter wire and monitored on a cold start this morning. The info is inconclusive with what I'm trying to confirm. What I want to do is diconnect the glow plug circuit and start it to see if the voltage goes right up to the 14.2v. If it does then that means the voltage is low because the alternator can't keep up with the draw of the glowplugs. But if it stays @ battery voltage for a given time then jumps up then it's the PCM controlling it.
It may be the 140amp alternator just doesn't have it. And I may be thinking the PCM controlling the second alternator, I can't remember it all. It's probably been 6 or 7 years since I last looked into all this and I slept since then!

Old 12-03-2016, 02:41 PM
BjornF16
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Charging description from 2006 Service Manual:

Old 12-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Alternator Info

I talked to John and he will see about moving all the alternator stuff from
the " So what did you do to your 6.0L today?" thread and after that I'll edit out this place holder. Please wait for John to do is magic.

Also I have some PDSs to add to this.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:37 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I talked with John and he will look into moving all the alternator
stuff to a thread I started called "Alternator Info" >>> https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ator-info.html

Give him a little time to work on it.

Thanks John.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:15 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,496 Likes on 2,149 Posts
You are not imagining things... all discussions about the alternator moved to here... any posts you want deleted to clean up the thread, if they appear out of context, send me a pm with the post number. Carry on gentlemen...

My alternator works fine.....

If anyone doubts that Ed gets his hands dirty....Hahahaha, he does.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:41 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the cleaner so he could wash those hands huh??? Glad I could facilitate. Lol

Old 12-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
I thought it would be a good idea to add this link back to the
thread that Jack aka TooManyToys has about "Improving Battery Cables for Battery Life"
Here is that link.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tery-life.html

I have been putting off the posting of the PDFs and will get that done tonight now that the
XP computer where all the service manuals are seems to be working the way it should now.

Quick Reply: Alternator Info