1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Dad & Son 1956 Ford F-100 BBW Longbed Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:47 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I got my new driver side door striker and installed it. took a whopping 2 minutes to have a door that closes again, yay! 60 years of slamming took its toll on the original striker teeth

also, we installed the headliner, and what a pain that was to install. my fingers still hurt from working that rubber around the headliner. I actually had a bicycle tool to put tires on that helped a lot until it broke lol. I'm glad I was able to inexpensively swap for a slightly defective headliner, bc we creased the ****** out of that thing lol. for our truck though, it doesn't look that bad. only the sides and corners leave a little to be desired. the middle stayed nice and flat.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:03 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,518 Posts
It looks good and since it was cheap all the better! When I put mine in try as I might the o e corner didnt match up right so I had control it with my exacto knife.

A new stoked plate is a simple fix, isnt it? But make sure it is in the right position or it will wear like your old one.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:52 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Got the dome light and seat cover installed today. the seat is in really good shape, but it's just a matter of time before a tool or part slices through it.

drove it about 2 miles around town today. awesome! just gotta do the rear brakes to get it inspected and officially on the road. dressed the old girl up a little too

Old 12-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Outlaw56
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the best looking trucks Ford ever built.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:51 PM
lilpanther
Freshman User
Glad to see you making progress on the truck. The headliner look's great, they can be a real pain to get in sometimes.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:55 PM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Drive it

Take a break and drive the truck, you've earned it.

It looks good, so your efforts have paid off. It will always need some tweaking, so if its safe to drive, do it !

Tom

Old 12-03-2016, 10:59 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

That's great! For all of your problems lately this must be a great picker upper! This will give you once give to get your brakes done and get it inspected!

Well done. Did you mean so done will tear your original seat or the seat cover you have on now?

Old 12-04-2016, 11:31 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
That's great! For all of your problems lately this must be a great picker upper! This will give you once give to get your brakes done and get it inspected!

Well done. Did you mean so done will tear your original seat or the seat cover you have on now?
I put on a cheap cover to protect the vinyl seat from damage. I dont care what happens to the cover

Old 12-11-2016, 12:26 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Currently, I am sitting at the Kansas city Airport. just spent a few days here with friends. we went to the Raiders vs chiefs TNF game. it was a lot of fun, but we froze our butt off

I was able to get a chance to drive over and check out LMC Truck in Kansas. it's always nice to see whose salary I'm paying lol. they had a couple real nice trucks in their showroom. picked up a few parts to bring home and avoid shipping too

Old 12-31-2016, 08:18 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Happy New Year!

Not much has happened. Been very busy and energy is really low. Some days I struggle just to get out of bed. Since the wind destroyed the carport, I haven't been able to get anything done. Today though, I had a little inspiration. I already bought and received new kick panels and motorcycle Bluetooth speakers. I mocked up my plan in cardboard to test out the speakers. I think it's going to come out great and sounds just fine for me.

the speakers are for a motorcycle. They run off 12V, have a remote control, radio antenna, and connect to my phone via bluetooth. No stereo needed. Perfect for what I want. We had some spare panel board laying around and make a pair of kick panels using the replicas as a template. I like this better, it's a lot stronger

just need paint, and I think I'm gonna use velcro to hold them in place rather than screws and the trim piece. Not sure if it'll work, but I think it would look cleaner

Old 01-01-2017, 07:15 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Got a few small things done today. Cleaned out the truck and bed, to prep for winter. Rigged up the PO's aftermarket wiper switch setup with the correct **** and bezel (I hated the plastic yellowing **** that was there).
I didn't purchase longbed tailgate chains bc of the price, so I used a pair of regular chains I had laying around. Better than nothing I guess.
Also got the kick panel speaker holes cut out, painted, and ready to be installed

Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Long beds need longer chains? I never knew that nor thought if that!

You can learn something new every day!

Old 01-01-2017, 08:47 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Panels look nice, one more thing off the list!

Old 01-02-2017, 03:49 PM
thomasstemmle
Senior User
Originally Posted by abe
Long beds need longer chains? I never knew that nor thought if that!

You can learn something new every day!
yea, the tailgate is about 2 inches taller, so it goes back to grade school math (pythagorean Theorem), A²+B²=C² so a shortbed would be 19²+19²=C²; so the chains would be about 26.87" long. A longbed would be 21²+21²=C²; so the chains would be about 29.7" long. The shortbed chains will work on a longbed, but the tailgate would not open to a 90º angle, it would be too short.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:09 PM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just re read the entire thread - Great work you and your family are doing, I look forward to seeing more of your accomplishments.

Quick Reply: Dad & Son 1956 Ford F-100 BBW Longbed Project