2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

18 or 20" rims

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 02:44 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
We had ATV's for years but the wife has had it with the dust, bugs, and mud. So, we sold those last fall too. The PWC went last spring. All that's left to sell now is our sleds this winter and we have transitioned to old fartdom. RV, golf cart, and 3 wheel girly motorcycles. LOL.
Hey, don't sell yourself short. You're a parent too my friend.

My toy, which I don't know if I'll ever get, would be a convertible M3 or something similar. Probably would be just as happy in a coupe too, so, I'm a car dreamer. It is most fun riding a cycle but I'd never buy one. So, maybe some day there'll be a fine BMW in my garage again.

Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts
It's that too Joel. The RV and cart are very useful in a family capacity. And my daughter will be able to come on the back of one of the Spyder's when she is a bit taller...

Old 07-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I actually held off this spring because it was a brand new model this year and everyone wanted top buck. This spring I was fighting for 1000 off MSRP. I already see them on cycletrader.com for 4k off now. I may wait it out for winter to get an even better deal unless I can get the one I found down to that 4k plus off level.
Then have it painted to match the hauler?

Old 07-28-2016, 02:51 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Rasalas
Then have it painted to match the hauler?
And the 2017 SD since they will be the same color... LOL...

Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 456 Likes on 143 Posts
We had ATV's for years but the wife has had it with the dust, bugs, and mud. So, we sold those last fall too. The PWC went last spring. All that's left to sell now is our sleds this winter and we have transitioned to old fartdom. RV, golf cart, and 3 wheel girly motorcycles. LOL.
We don't take our ATV's anywhere, just ride them on our little acreage we have. Usually in the early fall through early spring to avoid the dust and bugs.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:36 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
We don't take our ATV's anywhere, just ride them on our little acreage we have. Usually in the early fall through early spring to avoid the dust and bugs.

We were mileage hounds. We rode Maine which has about 5000 miles of marked, mapped, interconnected trails. An average ride for us was about 80 miles round trip. That's not a bad trip on the street but on the trail, it beat you up a bit. The Army did a number on her shoulder so the bumps were bad for her too...

Old 07-28-2016, 03:41 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
We were mileage hounds. We rode Maine which has about 5000 miles of marked, mapped, interconnected trails. An average ride for us was about 80 miles round trip. That's not a bad trip on the street but on the trail, it beat you up a bit. The Army did a number on her shoulder so the bumps were bad for her too...
I think that would be a blast, to take a trail trip like that. Not hard-core, just dirt/gravel to see the countryside. Maybe when we make it to Maine someday...

Thanks to her for her service! You guys need to take it easy and quit getting beat up!

Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM
System
Prolocutor
Yeah, Maine is awesome. All the trails are logging roads and such, not rutted out or rock crawling. Heck, sometimes you have to pull over in the middle of the road for an 18 wheeler to go by. The views are just amazing. Many trails go right into towns for restaurants, fuel, and hotels. They really cater to the ATV and sled guys and gals there.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:52 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Yeah, Maine is awesome. All the trails are logging roads and such, not rutted out or rock crawling. Heck, sometimes you have to pull over in the middle of the road for an 18 wheeler to go by. The views are just amazing. Many trails go right into towns for restaurants, fuel, and hotels. They really cater to the ATV and sled guys and gals there.
OK, Maine has moved up my list of places to visit now!

To keep this on topic, my truck will have 20" wheels when I visit...

Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The 450 itself was only 3k more than the SRW 350 I have built. It was all the other costs that ran me up and again, I don't need a 450. My costs were winter tires/wheels, new wider plow, new power tonneau and increased registration/inspection fees. Now, if you don't need to plow, you don't need much of my optional expense. I also chose a very expensive tonneau. Also, I'm not sure of your fees in WV but in MA it's an extra 350 a year in inspections and registration. Perhaps it's less where you are? Maybe your price difference will be much less than mine based on needs...
Yeah so truth be told I grew up in the suburbs of San Francisco and left as soon as I was able to Utah where my more right-wing nature was appreciated. I met my wife and moved to WV where she was born and raised and got suckered into this farm life. I drive almost 200 miles to work each way (but only a couple days a week where I work from home the rest of the time) so my life is a constant adventure. I talked it over with her family, all of whom have diesel trucks, and they basically said I don't need a 450 and it's way too much truck for even the "that's so awesome" factor. I haul a 15k trailer with farm gear, and only a few times a year. We'd like to get a 5th wheel RV sometime since my wife hates to fly. I'd like to drive across country to visit my family and stop and sleep along the way.

In WV I will get x-plates, which are farm plates. Registration is cheap and I can do anything I want as long as it isn't commercial. Some say they may crack down on you if they see you driving it to an office job (I won't drive the truck to work, but I work out of state and live near the border anyway) but I don't see anything in the law about that. It's for hauling gear, feed, supplies, and building materials all for ag use. The X-plate means I don't need to pay any extra for heavier weight since it's my own farm. It looks like I can weigh 26,000 and be ok. Class-B plates are for 10k gvwr+ trucks and they cost a lot more. When I bought my f-250 the DMV asked what I was going to do with it. I didn't know what they meant at the time. She asked if I was going to be hauling a ton of stuff/towing the majority of the time. I told her no we bought it for going to get mostly stuff at Lowe's and in case we need to bring anything big home. She said she will give me a class A plate since it's cheaper. They're really informal here.

I saw someone come in to the DMV to register a 6 month expired plate and they said "you want a new plate? It's the same price as renewing that expired one, but you'll get a whole other year out of it." There's no late fee. This state is different.

For plowing I have a 7 foot articulating blade for my tractor. We live up a hill so I need to have some serious traction on grade.

I really love all the information on this forum. It must be due to the cost of the vehicles. When I was on a (redacted lemon law lawsuit car) forum, everyone was dumb kids.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:57 PM
System
Prolocutor
When you take your 20" wheels to Maine, this is what you might see on the trail. (They allow 18's there too...)

Old 07-28-2016, 04:04 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by rocket_scientist

I really love all the information on this forum. It must be due to the cost of the vehicles. When I was on a (redacted lemon law lawsuit car) forum, everyone was dumb kids.
You're exactly right about that. I've been on forums for everything I've owned in the last 15 years and that's a lot. I've never found as good of a group of guys as we have here on FTE. I may be biased but the 6.7 section is really my home here. I'm just in the 17 section because of the excitement. The guys in the 6.7 section have become such real friends that we recently had our first annual get together. We did it at an RV park in Dells WI. About 7 guys with RVs, a few in cabins, and one in a local hotel. Including their families, we had 30 there total. It was funny because what do a bunch of forum guys do when they get together I thought? Sit around the campfire with their laptops to communicate? It was quite the opposite and it was like meeting up with old friends. Next year it's my job to coordinate it and guess where it's happening? Maine...LOL. We had such a good time that most of the guys from this year are already booked at our campground for next and some that couldn't make it but watch the fun in the thread we had dedicated to it have also booked for next year. The goal is to keep it moving around the country every year. Stop in the 6.7 section and say hello... and look for the G2G thread(s)...

We accept 18" guys and 20" guys. We even have one guy who bought a Fiat pickup to replace his Super Duty and was still allowed to attend...

Old 07-28-2016, 04:20 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
When you take your 20" wheels to Maine, this is what you might see on the trail. (They allow 18's there too...)
That's definitely a beautiful part of the country! I've been out West, but never really east, so that will be a change for me. Obviously, I plan to go in the fall to see the awesome array of colors.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:40 PM
rocket_scientist
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Karl4Cat thanks for the pictures. That looks really nice! Once the wallet recovers from the SD purchase we plan on looking for an RV so maybe I can make that work next time. Maine would be a really cool drive for sure from here.

I'm happy to go 250 miles each way to PA tomorrow to get that chicken coop. It's been a while since I've hauled anything.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:01 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rocket_scientist
Karl4Cat thanks for the pictures. That looks really nice! Once the wallet recovers from the SD purchase we plan on looking for an RV so maybe I can make that work next time. Maine would be a really cool drive for sure from here.

I'm happy to go 250 miles each way to PA tomorrow to get that chicken coop. It's been a while since I've hauled anything.
Karl has some beautiful pictures of Maine. Why wait for the Motor Home. My wife and I enjoy the freedom our pick-up camper provides and we get to enjoy my Super Duty ever trip. A little smaller than a motor home but we get by with the space at least 9 out of 10 days. It must be she who makes the space too small occasionally. I guess that is why there is a great outdoors in this country to explore. We spent time in Maine a couple of years ago and cannot wait to get back. But first is a trip to Alaska next summer after she retires. New F350 and camper and away we go. Out of 500 pictures of Maine, all of which are great, this one is for my desktop to enjoy every day. This is definitely Super Duty Country.

Quick Reply: 18 or 20" rims