Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   PRNDL linkage adjustment (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/842594-prndl-linkage-adjustment.html)

Neal 97 250 04-17-2009 07:03 AM

PRNDL linkage adjustment

This is on a 2000 F-250 Triton V-8 (I know, not diesel but you guys are the bomb)
I got a friend that is having to slam the shifter into park to get it to start. I know there is an adjustment some where under the dash or column.

Now I think of it, I believe he said the truck still wants to roll when he puts it in park so maybe the linkage to the tranny needs adjustment.

In either case where would be the best place to adjust. Please forgive me because I am more of a manual tranny guy.

mueckster 04-17-2009 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cable and Bracket Adjustment
Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position.
Place an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever. (Just apply some downward force on th lever)
Raise and support the vehicle.
Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual lever. (Lever on left side of Trans)
Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.

Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.
Place the manual control lever in the first gear position.
Move the manual control lever two detents to the (D) position.

Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

Lock the transmission shift cable lock tab.

Lower the vehicle.

Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Verify that the vehicle will start in PARK or NEUTRAL and backup lamps illuminate in REVERSE. If not, Steps 1-5 must be repeated and include digital TR or TR sensor adjustment in NEUTRAL. Readjust if necessary.
Attachment 14564 This picture may be showing the direction for re-latching the tab, but you get the idea.

Neal 97 250 04-17-2009 08:32 AM

Thanks Roland.
Is all of this done under the dash or under the truck.

mueckster 04-17-2009 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 (Post 7397341)
Thanks Roland.
Is all of this done under the dash or under the truck.

Under the truck. The only thing done inside is the moving of the shift lever.

See edits in my previous post.

Neal 97 250 04-17-2009 09:56 AM

Thanks Roland I understand it better now.

Basically what we are doing is just removing the cable from the lever on the tranny. Then cycling the tranny thru a couple of gears and reattaching it to the cable.
It should then be readjusted.

Do you think this can be done with no tools?
I would assume at a minimum some pliers would be useful. Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't have it in my posession right now to look at it and don't have my tools with me.

mueckster 04-17-2009 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Neal 97 250 (Post 7397612)
Thanks Roland I understand it better now.

Basically what we are doing is just removing the cable from the lever on the tranny. Then cycling the tranny thru a couple of gears and reattaching it to the cable.
It should then be readjusted.

Do you think this can be done with no tools?
I would assume at a minimum some pliers would be useful. Sorry for the dumb questions, I don't have it in my posession right now to look at it and don't have my tools with me.

Pliers and a screwdriver should be all you'd need. The tab will release and allow for the "teeth" on the cable end to slide to a new position, if necessary, to adjust the length.

Neal 97 250 04-17-2009 10:40 AM

Thanks for all your help and the pic.
Reps sent Amigo

Enforcir 07-28-2010 08:52 PM

did this procedure work ?

T8R 08-30-2011 05:53 PM

What would cause a sloppy feeling shifter to 'snag' going from N to P? (Parked the truck, and it apparently wasn't all the way in P... rolled down the driveway towards a neighbours SUV... the repairs of which I'll be paying out of pocket.)

Still snags a little bit every time I put it in park, although I'm pretty diligent now about double checking it and using the parking brake. Has anyone else run into something like this? I'm too afraid to let my wife drive it... or more importantly... park.

BigAlsPSD 08-30-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by T8R (Post 10756717)
What would cause a sloppy feeling shifter to 'snag' going from N to P? (Parked the truck, and it apparently wasn't all the way in P... rolled down the driveway towards a neighbours SUV... the repairs of which I'll be paying out of pocket.)

Still snags a little bit every time I put it in park, although I'm pretty diligent now about double checking it and using the parking brake. Has anyone else run into something like this? I'm too afraid to let my wife drive it... or more importantly... park.

Sucks about the incident.

Try some of these yours is likely the first link with the torx screws being loose they can be tough to see, but once you know where they are you'll understand what they do, one of mine was actually sheared off, I reinstalled allen head bolts with locktite to prevent them from loosening up any more.

Sloppy Shifter

Pointer Adjustment

Normally I would include this thread too for all the adjustments but since you were here didn't figure you would need that one.

storminc 05-12-2023 08:42 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by mueckster (Post 7397282)
Cable and Bracket Adjustment
Place the gearshift lever in the (D) position.
Place an eight pound weight on the gearshift lever. (Just apply some downward force on th lever)
Raise and support the vehicle.
Disconnect the transmission shift cable from the manual lever. (Lever on left side of Trans)
Unlock the lock tab on the transmission shift cable.

Place the manual control lever in the (D) position.
Place the manual control lever in the first gear position.
Move the manual control lever two detents to the (D) position.

Connect the transmission shift cable to the manual control lever.

Lock the transmission shift cable lock tab.

Lower the vehicle.

Carefully move the gearshift lever from detent to detent and compare with transmission settings. Verify that the vehicle will start in PARK or NEUTRAL and backup lamps illuminate in REVERSE. If not, Steps 1-5 must be repeated and include digital TR or TR sensor adjustment in NEUTRAL. Readjust if necessary.
Attachment 14564 This picture may be showing the direction for re-latching the tab, but you get the idea.

I realize this is a 14 year old post. Thank you for it. Will solve my prblem