Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Coolant question? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1268548-coolant-question.html)

camdaddy 09-19-2013 11:31 AM

Coolant question?

I have an E99 that I have acquired. It currently has coolant that is not green. Based on what I have seen in other posts, Is this a problem? Should I be alarmed?

Stewart_H 09-19-2013 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by camdaddy (Post 13547528)
I have an E99 that I have acquired. It currently has coolant that is not green. Based on what I have seen in other posts, Is this a problem? Should I be alarmed?

I'm not sure why you would be alarmed? :-huh

Since you have an E99, an OAT ELC isn't an option and neither is the hybrid OAT type coolants like the Ford "Gold" that was put in use in 2002.

Get some test strips and test your coolant, or just flush it all out and refill with some more "green" and add the proper additive since you probably don't know how old your present coolant is.

Stewart

Stewart_H 09-19-2013 02:55 PM

You can find the flush procedure here: Gooch's Coolant Flush Procedure and In-Depth Coolant Information

Just ignore all reference to ELC and the type of coolant Gooch is saying to refill the engine with. You need to use a conventional "green" type coolant for your rig.

Stewart

camdaddy 09-19-2013 03:05 PM

What do you do with your coolant? I'm sure there will be quite a bit...

Stewart_H 09-19-2013 03:09 PM

Collect and recycle the drained coolant. The flush stuff I just let flow and drain.

Stewart

camdaddy 09-19-2013 03:23 PM

Do I read correctly that it is the injector cups that dictate the coolant I have to run? Not knowing how long the "non green" coolant has been in there, are there any symptoms I need to be on the look out for? Or at least aware of?

Stewart_H 09-19-2013 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by camdaddy (Post 13548213)
Not knowing how long the "non green" coolant has been in there...

Oh crap, now I know why I was confused. I completely misread your first post. I thought you said you HAVE green coolant in your truck. :o

Do you know what kind of coolant it is? Do you know if the previous owner did any injector cup replacement work?

Without knowing, to be safe, if it were me, I'd flush the coolant and replace with a conventional "green" coolant.

Stewart

camdaddy 09-19-2013 03:47 PM

Don't know the PO. I plan on flushing, but I wasn't sure if I need to be watching for anything in particular. I currently have a click or knock that can be heard clearly during deceleration. It sounds like the video Tugly posted regarding an bad injector when at idle. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hing-else.html However, I have been searching for why it make a click during the deceleration (injectors off). While searching for an answer, I came across the coolant "issue". I still can't figure out the click/knock noise.

rufushusky 09-22-2013 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by camdaddy (Post 13547528)

What color coolant is in the truck currently? Some pre-charged conventional coolants, basically "green" coolant with SCA's already in it, are different colors... purple, blue etc. Which your E99 would be fine with.

As far as ELC in an early 99 IIRC it is the sealant used on the injector cups isn't ELC friendly. Suffers the same fate as the as the sealants used on 90s GM engines when they first introduced Dex-Cool. Dex-Cool is a OAT based coolant, like ELCs, that uses 2-EHA (that many ELCs do as well) which will eat some sealants and gaskets.

camdaddy 09-22-2013 07:52 PM

I would say that it's gold. I have a picture, how would I go about posting it?