Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Vaccum pump running (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1099904-vaccum-pump-running.html)

steventothemax 09-16-2011 11:13 AM

Vaccum pump running

Just did an egr delete new oil cooler on my 04 6.0L excursion.

Now the vacuum pump is running constantly.

If I unplug the 90 degree tube coming off of the pump and put my finger over it the pump stops running.

The vacuum line (grey) running to the coolant line on on passenger side intake manifold (for heater I assume) has no suction.

When I flip the 4x4 switch I can hear it engage and disengage.

I am having trouble tracking down the leak in the grey line where I assume the problem is. Any suggestions?

dchamberlain 09-16-2011 12:03 PM

You have a vacuum leak, but it's probably not in the grey line. The grey line will only have vacuum on it when the heater control is OFF and in MAX A/C.

You need a hand vacuum pump and gauge. Start at the pump and start checking lines one section at a time until you find the one leaking.

steventothemax 09-16-2011 12:13 PM

Thanks that helps. Is there some sort of diagram some where?

What does the pump run. I would guess I could see what isn't working and then check that line?

steventothemax 09-16-2011 12:20 PM

With max ac and no heater this grey line still has no perceptible suction.

dchamberlain 09-16-2011 12:21 PM

I've never seen a really good diagram, but it's pretty simple. The line coming off of the pump goes over to the reservoir. Next to it, coming out of the reservoir is a T fitting. A line goes towards the drivers side then turns towards the rear of the truck where it goes into the cab and to the heater controls. Another line goes towards the firewall and into a loom that goes to the pulse vacuum hublock (PVH) solenoid. The fitting on the PVH has 2 lines, one going in and one coming out. The one coming out goes back through the same loom as the other, then across the top of the reservoir and down to the hub locks. So the pump runs the heater air doors and the front hub locks.

Sometimes the PVH solenoid itself leaks, so this is something to look at. What is most likely, though, is that a line didn't get reconnected when you did the work.

steventothemax 09-16-2011 12:37 PM

05 ford f250 vacum leak

This page has a good diagram.

steventothemax 09-16-2011 12:57 PM

Ok previously if I plugged the main line coming off of the pump it would shut down. I started disconnecting lines at the reservoir to see which line had suction. reconnected them because pump wouldn't shut off. Now when I go back to the pump and plug the initial line the pump won't shut off????????????

dchamberlain 09-16-2011 01:02 PM

Take the line off of the pump nipple and put your finger over the nipple. The pump should shut off. If it doesn't, the pump isn't working.