Conversation Between Nothing Special and Ribford
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. Nothing Special
    02-13-2019 12:22 PM - permalink
    ... Again with no specific knowledge take this for what it's worth, but that type of device seems to me to be something that could draw significant power. Not enough to worry much about, but I'd probably add a relay to power it rather than running the full current through the switch on the dash. And obviously make sure you have the wire size and fuse correct for the load.

Keep in mind that installing a new diff means setting up gears. If you are reusing the ring and pinion you don't need to move the pinion so you just need to dial in the shims on the carrier. But even that can be a pain, and I wouldn't suggest you do it yourself unless you know you can (I've done it once myself, and will probably do it again, but i sure understand why it's expensive to have a shop do it!).

Good luck!

Bob
  2. Nothing Special
    02-13-2019 12:22 PM - permalink
    Hi Rib,
    I'm not sure I ever saw your first message and just stumbled on your second one today by accident (I guess I don't get any notification about "visitor messages" even though I do get notified of "personal messages").

Anyway, I'm glad you found the thread helpful! Sorry, but I don't know much about specific axles, especially anything newer than about 1997! So I can't say if a 9.75 SRW and 9.75 DRW will use the same diff or not. My guess would be that they would, but that's just a wild guess, with no basis, so take it for what little it's worth.

I don't know much specifically about the Ford eLocker either, but from what I hear I think it's a pretty typical selectable locker (open or spool), controlled by electricity. I think for my purposes I might prefer a Torsen or TrueTrac for that application (and have considered it for my RV). But a selectable would be a good choice as well, and I'm not trying to change your mind.

(part I)...
  3. Ribford
    02-03-2019 09:32 AM - permalink
    .... (NEXT NOTE) tried to add the 2nd half of my note last Nov, but the app wouldn't let me. I had just signed up for this site. So I got busy doing my own warranty work on the RV, and am just getting back to this now. I re-read your entire update, and actualy have a pretty good idea of how all the diff's work. am considering adding the OEM Ford eLocker to my 9.75 dually rear, powered by a temporary SPST switch on the dash, because it would not be controlled by the computer, like in the pickups. I want it to assist if I camp in grassy areas, and need more traction to get out. Hopefully flip it on, get unstuck, let go of the switch and go back to open diff. Do you know if the 9.75" dually rear that I have in my Transit is the same rear as the dually pickup, or just the diff? I was thinking of trying to get an eLocker rear from a bone yard and put it in. Any comments from you will be appreciated. Thanks, Rib

(2nd attempt at posting this to you. Not having much luck with this website)
  4. Ribford
    11-19-2018 01:58 PM - permalink
    Hi Bob - I enjoyed reading your entries about limited slip diffs. I am reasonably mechanically inclined, and understood most of it. I have the G80 (pawl version, I think) on my Chevy van and the basic [factory] limited slip on my stick shift 4dr Wrangler. I have had good luck with limited slip axles.

Next Monday I take delivery of my new 2017 Transit based RV (3.7L 6spd Selectshift, 9.75" 4.10 open diff). I have considering spending the money to add the eLocker, but it looks like the aftermarket is not making that yet, and the only place might be a boneyard with an FX4. My question is this: (1000 CHAR LIMIT, SEE NEXT NOTE)