Conversation Between unibody madness and garbz2
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 9 of 9
  1. unibody madness
    11-25-2010 12:12 AM - permalink
    Looking forward to the thread pics it will be interesting to see how you do it, and please include part numbers. I love doing things that the experts say can not be done.
    Cutting the steering box may not work for the cordoba ifs I am installing, because the angle looks to be too severe, but may be feasable for other apps. I am still playing with it. Meanwhile looking forward to the build
    John
  2. garbz2
    11-24-2010 09:14 PM - permalink
    John,

The stock 61 to 64 steering column can be simply cut down a bit and the later 65 up reproduction bearing, sheet metal retainer and seal including the taper is installed.

I will be doing this this weekend on the steering column on the 64. I will post pictures in the Photobucket and on FTE. It is a bit outside the box in thought but all the parts fit even though the parts guys say its impossible........LOL

I will post a few thoughts on your chop idea in the thread.

Dave
  3. unibody madness
    11-24-2010 03:30 PM - permalink
    Dave,
    Thanks for the info, just in case I decide to copy from the master ,how did you capture the lower end of the steering shaft inside of the column? It s not real clear. did you use a sealed bearing or did you use original shaft bearings somehow?
    Thanks,
    John
  4. garbz2
    11-24-2010 10:31 AM - permalink
    John,

I hate how the stock steering 61 to 64 is positioned and exits the cab. I have done the dash mod and steering relocate on a few trucks. Plus it has one scratching head looking at the dash as it is a subtle mod. Also the angle is not optimum for the shafts u joints as they may bind as the cab will move a bit.

I made the new pinch type lower retainer with some scrap tube and bits of stock. I do not like to use allen retainers as they dimple the shaft and make bearing and taper collar removal sometimes difficult. I would slightly flatten the shaft for your allen heads to prevent this.

I still need to figgure out how to get the current steering box to work with the new column location. We may need to add a secondary under dash retainer and run the shaft down from there with the exit just below the firewall lip. I will be looking at thet this weekend.

Thanks for following the thread!.

Dave
  5. unibody madness
    11-23-2010 08:12 PM - permalink
    Dave,
    I have been following the bbw thread and am loving it. Thanks for the pics it is exactly what I was looking for.
    Just a few questions, Why didn't you just do a cut away on the original steering box so there would be no hassle with column placement? This is what I am thinking of doing in order to keep the original column. ( I am assuming you needed the space for exaust) and on the mod you made is the squeeze keeper stronger than a collar. I made one out of a drilled out 3/4 " nut today with twin allen set screws just in case.
  6. garbz2
    11-18-2010 11:09 PM - permalink
    John, Here are a few shots. I will also be doing his mod on the new 64 Big window build.

For my 63 i used a 66 column. For the 64 build i will be modifying the 64 column new DC parts.

Here is the modified pedal bracket modified to fit the new center section.

Here is the dash with the center section in place and the bracket in place.

Here is the tubing guide at the firewall that the column fits in to.

The guide is a simple piece of 2 1/2" thin wall with a 5/16th nut welded to it with an allen to lock it in place.

Feel free to look at my build file in photobucket for the Uni.
    63 Uni pictures by Garbz85306 - Photobucket

Dave
  7. unibody madness
    11-17-2010 11:34 PM - permalink
    Dave,
    could you please send me pics of how you modified your steering column for the ic front end that you had posted on slick60 or steer me twards a post on this site that explains how you captured the column and shaft
    thanks
    john at jdrp at sbcglobal.net
  8. garbz2
    05-04-2009 02:26 PM - permalink
    John,

Is not the old Gibbons unit a Cordoba with the rear cross member carrying the torsion bars?

Here is a few FTE links
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/3...ons-ifs-2.html
    https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-or-under.html

I do not know how you would fabricate a new rear crossmember to carry the torsion bars.

Stave at Industrial chassis may be able to help.

Garbz
  9. unibody madness
    05-03-2009 06:34 PM - permalink
    hello garbz,
    my name is john and i used to follow your threads on slick 60s

i recently had the opportunity to pick up a gibbon IFS 613 and all the donor parts for dirt cheap my favorite number..
    anyway I was wondering if you knew much about them or someone who might have the paperwork for them (gibbon no longer exists). i only have a four page instruction manual and it seems there should be more. also the setup i picked up did not come with the rear cross member,do you know of one somewhere that i might be able to get measurements from. i don't have your awesome skills but i am tenacious in my endeavors
    please contact me at either site
    thanks in advance for any help
    john