Conversation Between Mark Kovalsky and Slattery334
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 9 of 9
  1. Mark Kovalsky
    07-15-2017 06:34 PM - permalink
    It could be an issue with the tuning, or it could be a problem in the direct clutch.
  2. Slattery334
    07-15-2017 02:23 PM - permalink
    So, I swapped the solenoid and added fluid back to the truck but it still seems to be having intermittent shifting issues and not acting right...I had some slight material found on the magnet but not much else in the pan. Is there sometging I'm missing or am I looking at a a rebuild and have damaged the direct clutch?
  3. Mark Kovalsky
    07-12-2017 08:47 AM - permalink
    I don't think it could hurt (other than your wallet) to replace the second solenoid, but I also don't know that it would help anything.
  4. Slattery334
    07-11-2017 08:51 PM - permalink
    Thank you, sir. Sorry for the long time to say thank you, I've been busy starting a new job. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond my questions.
    One last question, would it be worth my time to replace the line pressure solenoid at the same time or no? I'm only asking because I don't want to have to do this twice.
  5. Mark Kovalsky
    07-10-2017 09:05 AM - permalink
    Changing the solenoid and the fluid should fix it. I don't know anything about non-stock solenoids.

Mark
  6. Slattery334
    07-09-2017 09:55 PM - permalink
    So, what are my chances that a fluid change and replacing the solenoid fix the issue?
    Also, do the aftermarket solenoids (like the "stage 2" solenoids found on MTS diesel performance website) I see people talk about actually improve performance over the stock ones?
  7. Mark Kovalsky
    07-09-2017 09:01 PM - permalink
    I don't mind you contacting me directly.

The 5R110W is very sensitive to any changes in the 3-5 shift.Adding more power can make it flare, and it doesn't take a lot of flares before the direct clutch is damaged. The direct is used for 5th and sixth gears, plus reverse.

The P0766 means the direct clutch solenoid isn't working correctly. It can't be an electrical problem, the only way this code can set is if the solenoid doesn't do what it's told. Sometimes new fluid can fix this issue, but often the solenoid needs to be replaced.
  8. Slattery334
    07-09-2017 08:16 PM - permalink
    I hope me reaching out to you directly isn't a problem for you. If it is I apologize, it's just that I've seen your posts on this and other forums and I'm hoping that your level of expertise can help me with my recent transmission problem.
  9. Slattery334
    07-09-2017 08:15 PM - permalink
    Hello Mark,
    I have a 2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4 with the R5110W a DPF delete, EGR delete/block off, S&B cold air intake, and the SCT X4 tuner is running a Street 150hp Tune. I've experienced the "3-5 Flare" others talk about before, but was told it was just the truck relearning the new power. These issues started appearing more regularly, so I took it to get checked. No issues according to AAMCO. Now, this past Friday on my drive to Cali from Las Vegas I lost 5th gear, and it hates going into reverse. I've never had any codes until this P0766 code. I had a much longer post typed up with much more detail, but they limit us to 1,000 characters. Thanks for anything you might be able to tell me about a total rebuild or a simpler solenoid replacement, assuming they find nothing else wrong when they open it up. Just trying to avoid being taken for a ride with my local Diesel shop.