Sponsored by:

Tailgate Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM
beermonger
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailgate Troubles

I have enough trouble getting the rear window down. Once down, I have trouble getting the tailgate open. Pulling the handle will move the rods, but I have to manually pull them away from the latches to get the tailgate to open. To close the gate I also need to shove the rods back towards the latches to make sure they are fully engaged.
Have any of you guys run into this issue? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-16-2010, 08:45 PM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lube the weatherstriping with silicone spray. This will go a long way to getting the window down easily.

The window needs to be fully down in order to release the catch that prevents the gate from being opened if the window is partially down. The bottom of the window pushes down a J-hook that attaches to the latch and when it's pushed down it moves a lever that blocks the latch from opening if the window is not down all the way. It's possible to force the latch without the window activating the J-hook, but that bends the lever and generally makes things alot stickier in the tailgate.

Lube helps alot, take off the inside panel and get everything lube as necessary then adjust the linkages.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I think one or both the bars that connect the rods to the handle are about to fail, or have been bended and aren't working properly, check those and lube the rod mechanisms.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Time to disassemble, clean, and lube the components that make the tail gate latch mechanisms work. Check that the clips that hold the rod ends in place. The older ones were steel newer were plastic. The newer ones vitrify with age and exposure to the elements. Then they crack and don't hold the rods in place properly.

When you get to the lube portion of the process, DO NOT use a petroleum-based lube. Powdered graphite is your best friend here. It will get in the places it needs to and won't gum up and dry out like petroleum-based products. The plastic glides and tracks at the bottom of the glass are about the only place to get out the lithium grease.