Fire thru tail pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire thru tail pipes

I have big headers and the exhaust tails comming out of the front of the rear tires on my 73 mustang, so a huge flame is coming out of it, looks kinda a flame thower, also a poping sound, obiously a back fire, after a high rev (5k'maybe 6) when i let go of the gas.. Ive seen this on open headers and on bikes here and some say its an extremly lean situation, oh and everything is new... I had my spark plugs gap at 0.030" with a stoke bottle crappy coil, i tried 0.043", thats the only thing besides new cables that had changed when the flame thorwer started...what do you guys think?

ON another note, I pulled the heads just to see how everything was doing, and everything looked fine, i just finished putting it back together again and havent fired it yet, so im messing with the carb this time around, just wanted to cut all other possiblilities out.....

Old 07-07-2009, 09:18 PM
hollenjoe
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no comments? I have an argument with a fellow of mine over this, he says its an extremely rich situation, other folks say its an extreme lean situation which i kinda agree, i also think my coil aint enough powerful for the gap thus making alot of fuel not to burn when it should....

any thoughts^¿¿¿

Old 07-08-2009, 10:12 AM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts
Timing too far advanced ?