6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Check engine light,surging,white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:35 PM
wnyps
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light,surging,white smoke

This morning my check engine light came on for a brief time(5 min) then went off ,then 15 minutes later my check engine comes on again and then my truck losses power (Heavy white smoke coming out of the tailpipe).I safely pull to the shoulder, trucks still idling fine, but when press the gas pedal its starts to surge heavy at 1500rpms with constent heavy white smoke.I decided to limp it home at 15mph(2 miles) pulled in the driveway and shut it off.I then check the oil dip stick and it smells like diesel,i then look at the tail pipe and notice raw diesel dripping from the exhaust with a heavy diesel smell. A 1/2 hr later i start up the truck again and its barely idling(surging real bad) so i shut off again.Its sunday night ,dealers are closed mon.and tues and where expecting heavy lake -effect snows tonight with no plow truck. Merry X-mas to me i guess????? PS my truck is a job 2 built 10/07 f350 4wd with 2k miles on her. Anyone with any ideas(maybe injectors)looks like a cab off job -Hope not---

Old 12-23-2007, 06:46 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can be caused from several things, here is the TSB 07-8-9

"Lack of power, fluid leakage from tailpipe, abnormal tailpipe sediment, white smoke, exhaust smell, check engine light on:
The above conditions may be accompanied by elevated engine idle, surging, engine knocking or the crankcase may be over full. Fluid frome the tailpipe may be coolant, fuel or oil.
If diagnostic codes P0087, P2291, P0263-P0284, P0300-P0308, or P1336 are retrieved, or if there is evidence of an internal fuel leak (fuel in the exhaust, over-full oil), the fuel supply to the injectors and the injectors should be checked for leakage. If the oil is not over-full the turbo bearings should be checked.
If the codes are P132B, P2262 or P2263, or there is evidence oil oil leaks or the oil level is low, turbo actuator operation and turbo bearings should be checked.
If there is evidence of coolant leakage from the exhaust or the coolant level is low, the EGR coolers should be tested.
Additional codes may include P244C or P244D for the DPF. Perform diagnosis on the above codes and engine noises as needed. Care should be taken when running the engine due to the likelyhood of piston hydro-lock/engine damage."

Old 12-23-2007, 07:14 PM
nickedimus
New User
Well if it makes ya feel any better I am in the same boat with mine. Snow possible here in Virginia Chistmas night and as of yesterday afternoon I have a radiator thats about to spill its guts. Dealer closed til wednesday, and the funny part is I just got mine back Friday night.... Im not laughing.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
wnyps
New User
At least you know what your problem is, it doesnt look good for me, im in limbo til wed.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Come on you guys!!!! Not the great new and improved F series truck

Just wait it will get worse .

After mine I would believe anything!

I hear a lot of folks saying these are the best ever! Well I wish we could figure out the odds on who got a good one and who got bad ones. This site is for Ford PSD people not many going to say anything bad. I wish you guys could see my shop! It is FORD Everything. I am very pro F Series, but I am not happy with these so far. I think they were rushed out of the factory (Hurry get them out we will fix the problems later) I have seen this before with Ford. Quality Control at Ford is a joke. It is all about the Money (Mexico Parts) Hell my right side doors on my SC were hitting hard at the top! Chiped the paint off big time but it still got shipped like that. I have had, (as many of you have heard me complain about) many problems, keyless entry pad replaced, Rear end rebuilt, Radiator replaced, Trailer Brakes switch is bad, Doors leaked air
very bad, Hubs are being replaced next week. can't use 4x4 because of clunking noise. fuel milage went down from15.8 to 11.0, has been flashed
3or 4 times because of Regen and high idle, (Needs it again). My air filter clogged up with snow! while I was driving in a normal snow fall. Ford said they are giving me a Free winter cover! I have 12,000 mile now,have had truck since Aug. The dealer has had it much of that time

Old 12-23-2007, 08:07 PM
nickedimus
New User
well lets see...
-bought Oct 5th
-back in a week later no parking lights/cant tow, short in body harness rattling driver window switch. fixed on driver door, now rattling in passenger door
-back two weeks later wont start, fixed self day later "mystery", cancell appt. that afternoon go over speed bump,passenger door window switch goes "pop" falls off (broken tabs)
-back last week "very bad smoke, crop dusted downtown herndon", not exaggerating, considered normal, no problem found... HUH?!?! perfomed tsb 7-4-11
-going back next week radiator peeing when turned off after driving/towing, oh and new passenger window switch rattling again.

Otherwise.... sure makes a pretty $60k paperweight

Sorry just frustrated.....