Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch troubles

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:19 PM
boilerperson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch troubles

OK gang, it's been a while. Looking for an opinion on my clutch. Since I had my truck (1995 f-150, straight six, Eddie Bauer, 5 speed) It always had a clutch that's very grabby when it's first used and cold. After a few starts, it works pretty good. I've learned to live with it. However if anyone has a thought, let me know. I'm thinking something is leaking on the flywheel and untill it burns off I get the quick grab. Now the newest one. It's really hard to get the truck in gear. I'm almost 100% the clutch is not totally dissengaging. So.... Master cylinder?? Slave cylinder ?? spring between the slave and release bearing?? All of the above?? I guess I'm hoping someone says... Hey, I had this and it was the master cylinder.
Any thoughts??

Old 09-05-2007, 05:24 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd have to say slave cylinder...wouldn't think the master would cause it to leak...could also be a leaky rear main seal......does the truck ingest oil?

Old 09-05-2007, 05:30 PM
boilerperson
Freshman User
Truck does not use a drop of oil between changes (3000 miles) and does not use a drop of fluid in the clutch master cylinder !!

Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
If you say your truck doesn't use *any* oil between changes, then someone is putting oil in while you're not looking. You should loose about a 1/2 quart every 3k. There are some very small molecules in oil that evaporate rather quickly after you change it.

If anything leaks onto the clutch disc, it makes the clutch less grabby rather than more, so you can safely eliminate that. I'm not sure if you'll ever be able to do anything about the grabbyness of the clutch, except to change it. Is it original?

The clutch not fully disengaging is a common problem. It could be air in the clutch line, or the firewall. There was a repair kit from Ford (no longer available) that corrected a weak firewall that flexed when you disengaged the clutch. That could be your problem, but I'd want to confirm that first.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:00 PM
boilerperson
Freshman User
Thanks for the info. You are correct about the oil consumption. I use at least a 1/2 a quart between oil changes. My statement was more of a "I don't have a oil consumption problem". You bring up a good point that you should use some oil in 3000 miles. Most people that use no oil most likely have something dripping into the oil such as unburned gas or coolant.
I did hear about this firewall flexing issue. I'll look and see if I detect any deflection. I did bleed the system and it did seem to be slightly better for about a day. Thanks for the input.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:14 PM
jbos333
New User
I don't know if this is your problem, but I just had the bushings in the clutch pedal assembly replaced in my 91 f150 and it made a huge difference. I really thought my slave cyl was shot until I had a Ford mechanic look at it closer.