Gear lube in ATF in manual bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 PM
bhd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mechanic put a quart of gear lube in the atf.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
Gear lube and ATF are two totally separate oils. I'd say not good!! If you check it, it'll probably have a nice marbled look to it... The clearances of the tranny aren't designed for the thickness of gear lube.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
For the price of 6 quarts of Syn ATF, I would change it out. That's an expensive trans.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 PM
wilbur996
Senior User
I really don't think a quart will do immediate harm but I would change it all out. When I bought my truck it looked the trans was taken apart and rebuilt or something. But they filled it with gear lube, I'm pretty sure this is why the front seal is leaking. That stuff is just not meant for these trannies.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:09 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
If you don't want to spring for new fluids, you *might* be able to drain the tranny into a clean container, and let them set for a day or two, they might separate. And if your container had a drain on the bottom, even better.

I don't know for a fact if they would separate, or how long it would take, or which would end up on top, but if you have more time than money, it might be worth a try.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:27 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 827 Likes on 630 Posts
It won't separate. Oil is oil is oil and once mixed it stays mixed. Unless you have a centrifuge or something but then you would be extracting additives and things that you don't want to remove.

Just change it out and be done. It's a lot cheaper than taking a chance on fixing something more expensive later.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:06 PM
bhd
Senior User
i'm not worried about saving money.. i'm worried this is causing weird vibrations since my clutch was replaced (another thread). i'll be putting in 6 fresh quarts of mobile syn atf saturday.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 827 Likes on 630 Posts
Originally Posted by bhd
i'm not worried about saving money.. i'm worried this is causing weird vibrations since my clutch was replaced (another thread). i'll be putting in 6 fresh quarts of mobile syn atf saturday.
It's not the direct cause of the vibration. It might, repeat might be the indirect cause due to a bearing failure or something along those lines, but don't assume that is the case here.
Changing out the oil for a fresh fill of ATF will not make the vibration go away.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
bhd
Senior User
then my only assumption is that my mechanic dropped it on its input shaft, or the likes... cause it didn't do this before i gave it to him.

Old 03-15-2007, 02:10 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bhd
then my only assumption is that my mechanic dropped it on its input shaft, or the likes... cause it didn't do this before i gave it to him.
Don't assume.. It could be as simple as the transmission cross member bolts being loose, or even the drive line not being indexed when removed, in which case it might be off when reinstalled. There are lots of possibilities here.