Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Front Suspensions Please

Old 03-13-2002, 02:39 PM
utvol1984
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who have kept your original (61-63) straight axle and added disc brakes and/or power steering, how satisfied are you with the ride and handling?

Let me hasten to say that I've read through 20 pages of posts (so far) on this board and to state the obvious - you guys (and ladies) are a goldmine of information. I will try not to ask questions the answers to which are already here.

I have a 61 Unibody straight axle and for simplicity and to minimize costs, I'd like to keep the suspension as basic as possible but I do want disc brakes, power steering and about a 3-4" drop. I know I can do these regardless of how I set up the front suspension. I'm attracted to the IFS setups due to the claimed improvement in ride and handling but the cost and difficulty of installation are not insignificant. If I don't stand to see dramatically improved ride and handling from the IFS I'd be inclined to keep my straight axle, add disc brakes, power steering and go with mono-leaf springs in the front.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and experience.

Kris in Virginia

Old 03-14-2002, 11:41 PM
cobraguy
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kris Putting in a front clip is probably the best thing I've ever done as far as improving ride and handling. It is alot of work but its worth it. Besides I don't think you can get a power steering gear of any kind to work with the straight axle. Somebody will tell you if I'm wrong. By the time you buy the brakes and leaf springs You can get a Volare clip and rebuild it. To answer your email I live in San Diego. Good luck Rich.