EFI vs Carb System

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM
law812
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EFI vs Carb System

I currently have a 1985 Ford F-150 302 EFI with a 3+1 transmission. My greatest problem is after being run for a while I get a strong gas smell. I have checked every where that I can and do not see any gas. I have even had a mechanic work on it and replace some of the injectors ( which ain't cheap) and still have the same proble. I'm thinking of switching to a carberated system so that I have a little easier control and diagnosis. Any suggestions and what difficulties in switching to carb. My model truck does have a distributer so that won't be an issue.

Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 AM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
It might be from the evaporative emissions system. There were a couple of different styles of distributor used that year, all of which used the computer to control the timing, rather than a vacuum and mechanical advance system, so that would have to be replaced with a DSII distributor and module to run a carb. You would have to bypass the frame mounted pump, and set up the in-tank pumps to run with the key on, or the oil pressure switch closed.