1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

64 F-600

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Billy F-600
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
64 F-600

New user to the site, have read some of the forums before though. I have recently purchased a 64 F-600, Warranty Number F60CG471198 WB:156" Color: J Model: F 602 Body: J81 off the door jamb tag. 81,000 miles + or - and will make a good restoration candidate, runs good and steering is tight, alignment perfect, has a some rusted areas underneath and on the edges of the body panels, but nothing that cannot be fabricated, not sure if any sheet metal is available for these, but after seeing a buddy take a 62 Impala body apart and re-fit everything under the floor and trunk, this looks much easier !

I did not see a search option here to check the archives, not sure if that feature exists here, usually try that on other forums I participate in where available to avoid redundant questions when possible. I know a lot of the same questions get posted over the years.

1.) I'll check the usual on line auctions, but does anyone offer a decent reprint shop manual for these F-600's ?

2.) It appears something is drawing the battery down, I know these electrical systems are bare basic, but a one line diagram from a shop manual would help learn it quicky I'm sure. I am trying to figure out what would create such a draw, new battery is dead in 24-36 hours if left connected. I have a disconnect switch installed. Charging system shows no charge on the dash, right at 0 it seems. I can check it while running, just not sure where to take a reading from, probably directly off the alternator ? This appears to be a regular 12 volt, negative ground system with an alternator, not familiar with the starter - external solonoid ? Someone mentioned the ignition system being suspect, not sure how that would close a circuit, but whatever is causing this must be creating a decent draw from the battery. Also heard the solonoid may be suspect, but I'm not familiar with that, basically a switch if I am correct. Still has points and a coil set up from what I see on the engine.

3.) Engine I.D., have seen a lot of the posts on this, the door jamb tag says 135 HP - (certified net hp) I'm assuming the closest engine in the family would be the 292 I know that figure on the tag is different than actual HP, I'm not sure if there is a casting number or other identifying marks on the heads/block to help figure it out, it is a V-8 LOL, runs good, 60 lbs of pressure at cold start up and 40 when operating temperature/ above idle, used 1/4 of a qt. over the 800 miles I drove it home. It does about 62 M.P.H. at 3000 R.P.M.'s in 4th with the 2 spd. rear in high, guess they were all geared so low back then, seemed like abuse to run it any faster, to the ear it feels like your really running to high R.P.M.'s, at 60 M.P.H. feels like you need to upshift.

Thanks Again !

Old 11-10-2005, 06:08 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Hi Billy, Welcome to FTE The best truck show on the net.

I purchased a Detroit Iron CD from Moterhaven the online parts store here on FTE. Mine is for the 66, but they have them for the 64.

Happy hunting

John

Old 11-10-2005, 06:38 AM
Still in the 60's
Freshman User
Dennis Carpenter Reproductions (707-786-8139) has 64 shop manuals available.
1964 was the year when Ford introduced the FE/FT 330, 361 & 391 engines to the medium duty line, though some early production had the carryover 292. the FE 352 for the pickups waited until 65.
Distributor up front, probably a 330.
Distributor in the rear, 292.

As far as your charging system goes, take a volt meter to the + - posts of the battery. Fully charged with engine off should be over 12.5 volts, engine running should be close to 14 volts.
If you have an amp gauge to hook between battery and load, with engine off, start disconnecting items one by one till you find the draw. Guess it could even be the gen/ alternator. Might not be the most professional method, but it has worked for me.
One more old truck to a good home!

Old 11-10-2005, 10:03 AM
Billy F-600
New User
Thanks guys, do highly appreciate the insight and welcome here. I followed a few links and I think this should be a 292, distributor is in rear and the door tag matches that most closely, maybe an early production model here. I'll look into those sources for a shop manuals, those are always a priority. Door tag was in the glove box ( at least I have it !) and it matches the truck, not sure if the frame is stamped, I am 2nd or 3rd owner, should be correct though, matches the Illinois title.

Ok, I've always been aware of the engine families Ford manufactured, there are quite a few, but what is FE, FT and any other abbreviations that are important to know ?

Not a total stranger to Ford as we had a Ford tractor dealership for many years late 60's early 70's, 2 C series cabover flatbed fords, and now this 64 F-600. Have a few neat old things from the dealership, have a Ford 850 tractor as well. I also have 2 newer ones that are projects needing to be done '96 4x4 F150 and a 94 ranger 4x2, but this F-600 will have to work part time, pay the bills until I can upgrade. Just me driving so, will be treated kindly. Big fan of the 61-66's, one of our service trucks was a 66, and this one will only work when it's dry, really nice old truck, don't want it to succomb to the elements, it ought to be a lot of fun when it comes time to do the restoration. I did not know what to expect on the drive home from Michigan to NY, but besides some small leaks, it drove nicely. It's got a good home here. Grain body on it is oak, an Obeco Body, well built to say the least

I'll check to see what the deal is there on the battery draw, I'm sure to find the problem, have 2 batteries charged up, I'll try the process of elimination, have an old peerless battery tester from the dealership and an inexpensive multi-meter, apparently this had some trouble with the rear lighting, who knows what I'll find, process of elimination should work, thought I'd ask in case there were any areas prone to this kind of problem. Thanks again ! I'll check in with what I find

Old 11-10-2005, 02:30 PM
66beater
Senior User
Originally Posted by Billy F-600
Ok, I've always been aware of the engine families Ford manufactured, there are quite a few, but what is FE, FT and any other abbreviations that are important to know ?

FE is a type of engine that the 352, 360, 390, and 427 belong to. FT is the heavy duty version of these blocks, commonly the 330, 361, and 391. none of that matters much in your case, as you have a Y block.