Sponsored by:

New guy, new truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 08:32 PM
JTyler11688
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New guy, new truck

Hey people. I'm new to the Ford forums, but I figured if I'm on, I might as well throw out some ideas. I'm going to the Army at the end of the summer, and once out of boot, I'm getting a truck. So here's my idea for what I want. A 1999-2003 Ford F350 Crew Cab long bed 7.3 L diesel with about 10" of lift and 39.5's. I've spent all my life working on internationals, scouts mainly, but the rust isn't exactly up my alley. Since I don't know new trucks too well, could you maybe let me know some problems I'm gonna run into, or any ideas you have to make it better. Thanks

Old 03-16-2005, 08:43 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome. First, I would say get a 70s truck, but I am biased. I would consider the manuverability of either a short bed or a reg cab long bed. What are you trying to do with it? That will really determine what truck and how it should be built. If you want a street truck, then what you said should be fine, but on trails, manuverability can be a nice asset to have

Old 03-16-2005, 08:58 PM
JTyler11688
Senior User
Well, my firt deal is that I can't get to in depth with a project because living on base, you're not allowed to have a non-running vehicle. Though I do agree that manueverability is nice, I'm kinda making it an all purpose truck, I want the crew cab and long bed because as soon as I get home, I'll be using it to do hay for our farm, so I want to be able to bring some people with me, as well as tow some hay. I figured I wanted that truck, so why not build it up and play a little too, right? I think mostly it'll be for mud and trails a little, not a lot of rocks or anything serious. If I was gonna go with an old truck, I'd probably go with a scout anyways (ducks for cover). Nothing against Fords, but I'm more experienced with them and they came from the factory more heavy duty than anything else. But since I'm not, Ford was the best choice, and I wanted the biggest one lol. But yeah, if you have any tips or even ideas, let me know.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JTyler11688 - You might want to do a search on the SD forum and see what some of the pro's and con's are with the trucks. I own one and would not consider wheeling it. Mine is used for plowing, hauling, and towing. I can't imagine trying to throw stuff in the bed with a 10 inch lift and 39.5 tires!!

teds74ford has the right idea as older vehicles have less that can go wrong with them when you are out wheeling. I wheel a '93 Range Rover and I keep riping out sensors that could leave me stranded in the woods. Get an old Ford for wheeling and tow it with the SD.

Old 03-18-2005, 03:05 AM
JTyler11688
Senior User
Well,, about the putting hjay in the back, I am a rather big guy, as is my brother and dad, and I think I would rather enjoy watching my significantly smaller step bro trying to get the hay up there lol. Also, I don't plan on doing any hevay wheeling or anything, just some lighter messing around. If I'm gonna do anything more serious I'll just borrow one of my dad's 'nationals.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:51 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, big tires add strain to your brakes. So does hay. Combining the two might be more than the truck should be subjected to. Maybe consider some aggressive 33s or 35s. A locker will make it go a lot farther, too.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:04 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,480 Likes on 963 Posts
you seem like you already have you mind made up, but i wouldnt put more than 35's on it for what your doing

Old 03-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
JTyler11688 - You can wheel anything you want, it is your truck. I just know from my own use of vehicles I wouldn't want to tear up an SD that costs $30 to $40,000. Yes there are guys that wheel with their SD's and wheel them hard. Heck, 4Wheel & Off Road wheeled an SD in Moab with 42" tires. They tore it up and broke a ton of stuff, but they did it. I don't have that kind of money and I need my SD as a work truck. Personally I find the truck high enough when I am load dirt and gravel in and out of the back of it at the stock height. The only thing I am looking to do is a leveling kit as i hate the way the nose is down on the truck all the time.

The other thing to consider is you are looking at a very longggggggggggggg truck. Depending on where you want to wheel that thing you will be limited. My Range Rover is a long wheelbase model (but that is a relative term) at 108 inches which is not that long unless you consider I wheel with Jeeps, Series Land Rovers, Toyota FJ40's all with wheelbases less than 100 inches on trails made for them. It gets interesting sometimes and there are those occasions I have to do "K" turns. You also have to consider your approach and departure angles with that thing. Then there is your break over angles with a truck lifted that high too.

Not trying to flame you or discourage you if you have your mind made up. Just trying to point out some things you should consider before you put your hard money down and start tearing stuff up.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:08 PM
JTyler11688
Senior User
Yeah, I know it won't be an off road monster or anything, just something to kind of mess around with, and I figure I'll be 18, why not play while I can afford to. I already had intentions of getting at the least new brakes, and eventually some Dana 60's under it (I have connections to get it done for cheap). I was gonna just go with some 35's, but I figured I want to build it ridiculously big for sometihng to play with, since, being in the Army, I won't have much other to do on the weekends than play off road. I was just wondereing if there would be any technical/mechanical problems with doing that.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:45 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
All SRW SD's have the Sterling axle in back which seem to be as durable as the D60's from what I have read. All '99 until '02 SD's have the D50 front axle with the '02 through '04 having the D60. The SD's seem to be able to handle really large tires with the only real problem being the front wheel bearings which are not serviceable, but Dyantrac came out with a kit that solves that.

Just remember you are talking about wheeling a very large, heavy, long, and expensive truck here. I friend once said to me, "beware of the guy driving a Samurai with a roll cage. With the right tires and gears he is unstoppable and he has no money into it so he has nothing to lose." Just know what your limitations are with the truck and what you are willing to pay for and you will be fine wheeling the SD.

Cheers!!!