Sponsored by: Moser

Steering help

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:57 PM
Cornbread
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering help

ok guys new to the forum and i got a few questions to start off with. My steering is less than desirable on my 1977 f100. it seems the steering wheel moves before the truck reacts. it makes the truck wander on the road. if it turn it some no effect on steering. so the steering wheel has to move constantly to keep it somewhat straight. if i leave it steady it pulls one way or the other. is there a adjustment or something to fix this. i want to feel safe cruising in her. she does have power steering. just seems to much wheel movement. i looked while someone wiggled the wheel back and forth and there is no slop on the steering shaft to steering box.

any help would be great. i need to get her going good for cruise nights.

1977 ford f100 ranger

All the info that was here has been moved to the signature area for you

Old 03-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the site
Until someone comes to answer, may I suggest reading the steering related threads that are currently on this page or back pages.
Back pages are access from the bottom of the page

I also edited you post so the info you have has been moved to the signature feature.
NON-ClubFTE member are the only ones that the sig is allowed to be seen in the post for every post.

To see yours, place the cursor over the word Signature

Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you search this forum you will find alot of steering info, its probably your steering box if your positive there is no slack in the rag joint on the steering shaft.....could be the tie rod ends too...there is alot of tech info about this subject in previous posts in this forum.....BTW: Welcome to FTE!! Stop in and support your local FTE state chapter!!!!! ill search through my previous posts and see if i can find the thread from when i redone the steering on my 76 F-150 and post a link.........

Old 03-06-2005, 11:28 PM
Cornbread
New User
great sounds good look forward to the link. i will do searching

Old 03-07-2005, 12:04 AM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...ing+drag+links

i wasnt much help on this thread but a couple other guys explained how to adjust your steering box in it.......i know there are more threads about it, im just too tired to look any further......

Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 AM
73Custom
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like worn parts. Check the steering box, tierods, kingpins, and radius arm bushings. Play in any one of these parts will cause it to wander all over the road.

Marty

Old 03-09-2005, 03:10 AM
Cornbread
New User
ok i have done some checking bassed on your ideas and other threads. here is what i found.

the rag joint still has the fiber thing in it. all lower stuff seems tight.

here is the thing i believe it is. if you wiggle the steering wheel in its play area before the wheels turn it move the shaft and the steering box but there is no movement in the pitman arm. the arm stays perfectly still and is tight (no sloppyness) but the input side of the steering box is turning. so i believe the play is in the steering box. what kind of a shop can adjust this? have seen many threads of very bad outcomes if you try to adjust it and do it wrong. i want it fixed and don't want to ruin my stering box or have it seeze up and cause me to wreck the truck and hurt myself or others in the process. i am on a very tight budget to get it fixed and have a feeling a shop is going to charge me out the wazoo.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:25 AM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
hotrodder explains it pretty good in that thread i linked up there....also you can buy a chiltons book and it describes the procedure as well......if that adjustment doesnt work(which it should) you may need another steering box......

Old 03-09-2005, 07:41 AM
mike9762
Junior User
check out offroaders link its my original post and the set screwworked for me ...good luck