1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

slave cylinder help

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 PM
threefords
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slave cylinder help

I am trying to remove the tranny from an 87 4x4 ranger and only need to disconnect the slave cylinder to be successful. the haynes book says remove the hydraulic line before removing the trans but I cannot get it off.
The vehicle is an87 4x4 ranger with an FM145 five speed and a 2.9 v-six engine. the line goes into the bell housing on the top and has a bleeder right next to it. there is a metal clip/loop that appears to have some purpose located at the base where the line enters the bell housing. I am stumped and cold from lying on my back in the garage in New Hampshire. Anyone have experience with this dilema? thanks for the help

Old 01-13-2005, 09:51 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a fairly inexpensive tool for this available at many parts stores, like autozone. BTW, try to find some discarded old carpet to lay on; you will be much warmer. A creeper is helpful too and they are pretty cheap.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:34 PM
G2IC_Wraith
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Like Cowboy said:

Yea, it is just called a "Ford quick dissconnect for clutch line". Ask for it at your local parts counter, they are different sizes for different years. You may not see it on the shelf. I got mine at a local non-chain store for like $5. It looks like a flat piece of metal with a handle on one end and a "U" shaped cut-out in the other end. You use it like a shoe horn where it applies even pressure to that plactice sleeve you push in so it will release the line. Where it connects is the line input of the slave, and if it is leaking there I would recommend replacing the line up to the master and the slave it'self. The line from the master should be cheep. I don't believe that input is sold separate from the slave, but you could try a junkyard one. Just seems like it would be a better idea to replace it. You know this is a long shot, but maybe the plastic sleeve is wedged in there and causing the leak. You can try releasing the line and slide the sleeve down and reconnect.

Hope this helps, and have fun.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:29 PM
threefords
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the line off finally. the clip is a steel snap-pin similar to ones used for hood pins although obviously alot smaller. PB blaster and a little elbow grease and it came apart. Thanks for your replies. i guess ford made a few different styles of connections...all seem to be less than perfect.