4.2 concerns

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:03 PM
TMattson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2 concerns

A week ago I bought a new truck, '97 F-150 4.2, 5 speed, 4X4 with 124,000 miles. After buying it I started reading all of the posts about the lower intake failures and all the problems have got me worried. (yes I know, I should have read up on it before) Since I really like this truck and want it to last a long time I was wondering if there was any way to tell if the updated gaskets have been installed? Or do you think with this many miles it would have been repaired by now? Should I take it in and have them replace the gaskets anyways?? It runs fine and I haven't noticed any leaks, but all the bad reports on this motor have made me nervous.
Thanks

Old 12-23-2003, 12:13 AM
KarlnTx
Freshman User
TMattson,
There is an old saying "if it ain't broke don't mess w/it". But if u do a modification think ahead.

'97 F-150
4.2, 5 speed, 4x2
178,000 miles

Old 12-23-2003, 03:04 PM
MJEmerson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a 1997 with the 4.2L with 149,000+ miles. the other day I had my first problem with low oil pressure at idle. turnes out it was a clogged or faulty filter. That is the first problem I have had. This site is made to find fixes to broken trucks so ya dont hear a lot of good stuff. I have had no problems with the 4.2. I wish I had the power of a bigger motor especially as this one starts to get a little tired but in general its been a damn good truck for me. And it was used for work the first 92,000 miles. Enjoy that new truck and treat it like a super model, and she'll take care of ya

Old 12-23-2003, 06:18 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
TMattson,

I would trace the history of the truck via carfax or some other service, if it shows no history of being replaced, I would try to find the original or last owner and contact them and ask, most people are very willing to help. If those gaskets go, the only way you will know will be when you bend a rod or something. There's a website called leakingfords or something like that. I would check it out also if you haven't already.Good luck & Merry Christrmas

Old 12-23-2003, 06:58 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah,TM,we meet again. Like I said before on that "other" site,if it were mine ide have them replaced. If you dont replace them,ide advise you not to do any more searching on the subject; you wont like what you will find!

Old 12-23-2003, 09:23 PM
KarlnTx
Freshman User
TMattson, I'm sorry that you read these "threads" as problem related ONLY. I view them as educational. 3/4th , if not greater, of these situtations I have not had the "pleasure of experiancing".I hope that I never do but I'm glad that I have somewhere to go(free of charge), chew the fat and maybe fix the problem. As far as not hearing anything good about these vehicles, hel* most of us still have them and besides there wouldn't be any room left in this thread for problem solving. It would be full of braggarts(sp) and windbags.
My $.02 worth.
97 F-150XL 4.2L 5speed, Longbed, 178,000plus

Old 12-23-2003, 09:31 PM
KarlnTx
Freshman User
To all of you gugs that are proud of your trks and the modifactions that you have added. I'm not talking about that. It's the Saturday nite street corner talk: "mine is bigger than your's" but I can not back it up.
Thought that I had better clear up my last stmt.

Old 12-24-2003, 03:00 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Come to Houston and ya can back it up

If you are not having a problem with it , good for ya, jsut keep a good eye o it or replce it now and perhaps alleviate some concerns and worry No need to be paranoid.

Old 12-24-2003, 11:23 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
With that many miles, I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine. Usually they go bad waaaaay before that point! If you are really worried, just get them replace and be done with it. Other than that I'd say enjoy the off-roadin!