Wyoming Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: coolbeans

Is it possible to live in a camper trailer in a WY winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 09:20 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Is it possible to live in a camper trailer in a WY winter?

I have a some what unique situation. I have a 2019 F250 with a topper so the trailer should be bumper pull if I want to use it for camping later. Otherwise I have a friend who can move a 5th wheel to my property if needed.

I'm currently living in a company provided house while working on building a house on my free time. I already have a bathroom and small bedroom finished in that house. But I may need to leave the company house before I have the one I'm building finished.

Can I realistically live in a camper trailer in WY in the winter? I have a 30 amp plug ready and a 50 amp ready soon if needed, and about 1500 gal of propane on hand. I have a full bathroom to use in the house and I'm wondering if I can use some sort of anti freeze mixture to make the toilet in the trailer work below 32 deg weather.

Imagine just hanging out in the camper living area, with some mean cold winter winds going on outside, and needing to let a couple of beers out your lower exit apparatus. Sure wouldn't want to have to exit the trailer to get to the bathroom in the house until I actually call it a night and head in to the house to sleep.

Crazy idea? Or should I just buy a small house in town and sell it later?

Old 11-07-2019, 08:42 AM
'77 Ranch Beater
Fleet Mechanic
Received 117 Likes on 113 Posts
There are two or three "semi-permanent" camp trailer parks here in Gillette. The residents live in their campers year round so yes, it is possible. You will have to skirt your camper though & make darn sure it is an all season type.

t

Old 11-07-2019, 02:54 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
I'm looking at a Forest River Work and Play 25 WQB because it has a queen size bed, nice big bathroom where the toilet doesn't have to be in the shower, and most important it can fit my 14ft long 65 inch wide off road car. The manufactured said that some of them come with heating pads on the tanks, and if it doesn't have them I can remove the bottom cover and add them. It will be parked down wind (east side) of the house so that will help with the wind. If it gets too cold we can always recede into the part of the house that is finished.

Do you think heating the tanks will be enough? I think the rest of the plumbing is up in the heated area of the trailer.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:54 AM
'77 Ranch Beater
Fleet Mechanic
Received 117 Likes on 113 Posts
The heated tanks are a must. As long as you add skirting, you should be fine. If you don't, my money says you'll end up with some frozen pipes.

t

Old 11-20-2019, 10:56 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
The one I am purchasing does have the heated tanks and they are enclosed. I might drop the cover and add some insulation for the tanks but all the pipes should be up in the heated living area.