2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What are the " must haves" when ordering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:19 AM
Truckie256
Laughing Gas
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts
What are the " must haves" when ordering?

I have seen as threads evolve....sometimes folks say "when will dealers learn to order trucks properly"
What are the "must Haves" if there were desirable useful trucks to be sitting in stock.

Trim levels are more of a personal preference...

I am talking the important bigger stuff...5th wheel, goose, plow??,rear ratio,... Things that if one choice is made...the complimentary option is a Must..

I hope this makes sense....

Old 07-31-2018, 08:03 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,814 Likes on 1,367 Posts
Just like you say trim levels are a personal preference....all "must haves" are also personal preference IMO.

If we take that into account, I would say that the upfitter switches are a 'must have', as just about everyone will add something that will require a 12V switched power source.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:06 AM
Spence144db
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personal, IMHO

1. get the lowest gear (numerically highest) you can get for your engine / cab config combo. I cant stand it when people say "but I need the fuel economy to be at 54 mpg because people in Californiatan are dying from smog!!!" Your getting a super duty... you clearly don't care about fuel economy or you would buy a volt or a Prius
2. goose neck hitch / 5th wheel prep. its so cheap when you buy why not? If you decide to add after the fact your cost will be double.
3. Camper package to me is just a personal preference. If your going to daily tow get it if not don't worry and enjoy the marginal better ride.
4. Spray in bed liner.... do it now... it is just easier to do now. Unless you NEED a color matched bed just get it from the factory.
5. BIG ONE HERE... If you like the idea of a big truck but don't do truck stuff then get a 250. For the price difference just get a 350 SRW and be done if you plan on doing anything truck like with it....ask me how I know (pending on your state of course and tax and fees and what not)
6. Up fitter switches are like NIKE...just do it

Old 07-31-2018, 08:08 AM
Bovinerazzr
Senior User
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
For me, upfitter switches, trailer brake contol, low rearend ratio (numerically higher) for frequent start/stop of a heavy load. Those are some of mine, varies for others I'm sure. The vast majority of people on this forum are not interested in using their trucks for work I've noticed, more of a status symbol... looking large and in charge type of thing. Which may explain why the dealers order the trucks the way they do.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:17 AM
dksmith17
Senior User
Seems like most of the conversation about dealers not ordering correctly relates to the 4.30 gears.

I think people are just particular and there must be 5000+ different ways to build a SD, so just lots of room for frustration.

I myself thought there wasn't nearly enough lower level trims with technology add ons sitting on lots. To answer your question though, I really wanted vinyl seats and a camera package, and remote start. 4x4 and 5th were the only true musts, I guess. If there is another vinyl + camera package truck out there, I haven't seen it.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 AM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts
For me:
4:30 gears
Upfitter switches, cheap to buy even if you dont have a current use for them. Beats adding them on later
Wheel liners front and back. Why mess with trying to install then yourself for about the same price? Makes the truck look "finished".

Bed liners? Not for me. Its a TRUCK! A bed mat will keep everything from sliding around and will last for years.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:02 AM
xxxsherpa
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
First priority for us was adjustable pedals. We then moved up from there.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:20 AM
Jack4x
Senior User
For me the only must haves were:
4.30 gears
Long bed
Heated seats
No sunroof

However there never seemed to be more than 1-2 trucks in the country equipped that way, and I ended up needing to order.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:26 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Order a truck with everything you want for the long term. Ie, you have a TT, but you might get a fiver, fifth wheel prep, power adjusting tow mirrors are a must, trailer brake interpolated controller a must, back. Up cam, high mount camera, 360cameras if you buy a long box, I wish I had that.

how much driving, trailering, if RV will there be someone in the passenger seat, I specifically bought a Lariat Ultimate because both front seats are 9 way power, heated and cooled so the SO has as comfortable a seat as I do. Dual climate control as well, in my case, last truck didn’t have either and it has value. I tend to keep a truck 10plus years.

+1 on upfitter switches, near impossible to add later, same for fifth wheel and goose prep.

i don’t have the active cruise or the steering, not needed.

i have BLIS, hill descent and a few other things I don’t use.

Sunroof is nice, not a necessity, but it turns out I like it.

diesel a must, 3.55 is great, I ussually put larger tires after wear out the originals. 3.33 would not be ideal if I did that.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:47 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Most of the dealers around here stock XL's and XLT's because of the contractor business. They'll have a handful of the upper levels if they're a larger dealer.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:51 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Order a truck with everything you want for the long term. Ie, you have a TT, but you might get a fiver, fifth wheel prep, power adjusting tow mirrors are a must, trailer brake interpolated controller a must, back. Up cam, high mount camera, 360cameras if you buy a long box, I wish I had that.

how much driving, trailering, if RV will there be someone in the passenger seat, I specifically bought a Lariat Ultimate because both front seats are 9 way power, heated and cooled so the SO has as comfortable a seat as I do. Dual climate control as well, in my case, last truck didn’t have either and it has value. I tend to keep a truck 10plus years.

+1 on upfitter switches, near impossible to add later, same for fifth wheel and goose prep.

i don’t have the active cruise or the steering, not needed.

i have BLIS, hill descent and a few other things I don’t use.

Sunroof is nice, not a necessity, but it turns out I like it.

diesel a must, 3.55 is great, I ussually put larger tires after wear out the originals. 3.33 would not be ideal if I did that.
Rented an suv last week for a trip thru the midwest. It had active cruise and it made those long hwy hours so much better. It never lost concentration and you can set the distance for it to activate. If I was buying a new truck that would definitely be on my must have list.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:52 AM
swlakingranch
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only small/ cheap options I had to have was clearance lights and 3.55 gears.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:06 AM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 315 Likes on 152 Posts
I tried adaptive cruise control on another car we owned. Didnt like it. Reasoning was often I did not realize the vehicle in front of me was slowing down and all of a sudden realized I was driving 10 mph under the posted speed limit.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:03 AM
BossHog2018
Junior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Upfitter switches & Power Folding Mirrors!!!!! Both are not that expensive in the big scheme of things.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:06 AM
gravedgr
Senior User
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
For me:
4:30 gears
Upfitter switches, cheap to buy even if you dont have a current use for them. Beats adding them on later
Wheel liners front and back. Why mess with trying to install then yourself for about the same price? Makes the truck look "finished".

Bed liners? Not for me. Its a TRUCK! A bed mat will keep everything from sliding around and will last for years.
Can someone explain this one to me? I've never had any wheel well liners and enjoy seeing the suspension parts of trucks. What's the point of these?

Quick Reply: What are the " must haves" when ordering?