1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Need a Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:20 AM
Roy Lewis Wilson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need a Tune?

Hello, just signed up so please bare with me. I have a 2000 Ford F-150 Lariat 4 Door automatic 2 wheel drive transmission with a 4.6 v8. I installed a 3" cold air intake and a 75mm throttle body and a 3" Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler (no tail pipe yet). The transmission seems like it doesn't shift just right (too soon/low rpm) with the new throttle body installed. Gets great gas mileage but not much torque. I don't remember it taking so long to idle down after a rev before the new throttle body either. Sorry if this sounds dumb or I left something important out, I have basic knowledge and learning. Do I need to buy a $200-$600 tuner? What are my options and have I done something wrong? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:59 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roy Lewis Wilson
Hello, just signed up so please bare with me. I have a 2000 Ford F-150 Lariat 4 Door automatic 2 wheel drive transmission with a 4.6 v8. I installed a 3" cold air intake and a 75mm throttle body and a 3" Dynomax Ultra Flow muffler (no tail pipe yet). The transmission seems like it doesn't shift just right (too soon/low rpm) with the new throttle body installed. Gets great gas mileage but not much torque. I don't remember it taking so long to idle down after a rev before the new throttle body either. Sorry if this sounds dumb or I left something important out, I have basic knowledge and learning. Do I need to buy a $200-$600 tuner? What are my options and have I done something wrong? Thanks for any help.
why did you install the 75mm throttle body? what were you hoping for?
the cold air intake probably was a waste of money.

If you have your heart set on keeping the bigger throttle body, yeah you'll probably need a custom tune to account for that.

have you scanned for codes?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Roy Lewis Wilson
New User
Regardless, my truck is making power is wasn't before. I shouldn't have asked help. These sites tend to just insult me. And the answer to my question is YES you will need a tuner for these types of mods to work as they should. I won't make the mistake of asking what Tuner I should buy. Whatever I say or do is just stupid. Thanks anyway.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Roy Lewis Wilson
New User
FYI
Cold air was NOT a waist of money. It makes a HUGE difference.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:48 PM
mdr617
Elder User
Roy,

I am not sure about the larger throttle body but I can tell you that a tune can help almost any vehicle. On my 4.2 2wd automatic f-150 I am currently using the SCT X4 programmer/tuner. It has worked great with a couple mods I have done and the performance gains are definitely noticeable. Shop around and find one a lot less than list price. It also reads and clears codes and can make adjustments to correct your speedometer if you change tires sizes as well. It saves your stock tune if you want to go back later as well.

I attached a photo of some of the parameters I was watching on mine earlier today.

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 PM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roy Lewis Wilson
Regardless, my truck is making power is wasn't before. I shouldn't have asked help. These sites tend to just insult me. And the answer to my question is YES you will need a tuner for these types of mods to work as they should. I won't make the mistake of asking what Tuner I should buy. Whatever I say or do is just stupid. Thanks anyway.
Sorry Roy if my comments touched a nerve. I can see that maybe I could have phrased it differently. I certainly did not say it was or you were stupid.

rarely are "Cold Air Intakes" really drawing cold air in.... most are pulling air in inside the engine bay, which in turn increases the air temp going into the engine, which in turn, does little if anything for performance . Some of these CAI manufactures are making provisions to get air from outside the engine bay again. Which one did you install?

(rephrased)
What goals did you have in mind with installing the larger throttle body?

Meaning are you building a sleeper? drag strip burner? Or a daily driver with a fair amount of punch?

My guess is that with the larger TB and different exhaust that you have leaned out pretty well on your fuel to air ratio & in the process taking much of the lower RPM torque out. Other things can also contribute to this, running larger tires for example or numerically low gear ratio 3:09 or 3:30

So yes, a good tuner that can take in account your current modifications and what is still stock, and adaptable for future modifications, is a better route.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:33 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,212 Likes on 833 Posts
Tuner: go to Mike at 5star tunning, it will wake your truck up real good, mostly messes around with shift patterns which makes the truck feel like it has more power.
CAI: as mentioned it wont do much on your truck Look at Zoodad and Gotts mod, best almost free mods.
And if you really want to wake the old girl up add some gears to it go with 4.10 or even better 4.30.