2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

A couple of questions about FX4 and Plow Prep

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 01:46 PM
bhbdvm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions about FX4 and Plow Prep

I have a 2018 Lariat (loaded) coming in mid February. I have been advised to try and make a year end vehicle purchase to offset some taxes. I am looking at a 2017 King Ranch with same external color of White Gold. 2017 has a caribou accent and the 2018's have been replaced with Stone Gray accent (two tone). The differences mechanically in the trucks is the one I ordered has the FX4 package with electronic locking differential. The 2018 does not have the FX4 but does have the snow plow prep (which I do not foresee needing). I do like the Java leather seating in the King Ranch over the camel leather in the Lariat.
QUESTIONS: Does the snow plow prep alter the way the truck drives? How important do you see the FX4 off road package if I don't really intend on doing any hardcore off roading?
Trying to decide between the 2017 King Ranch and the 2018 Lariat on order. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:04 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a 17 with both the snow plow prep and the FX4. The snow plow prep will give you the stiffest spring rate up front. If you think it’s too stiff you can always change out the springs. It wouldn’t be that expensive. The locking diff is important to me but if you don’t plan on off roading or going through deep snow you’ll probably be fine. Noticed how I said deep snow (on the back roads). An activated rear locker would make you prone to fish tail in snow or ice during normal driving so it’s not going to be used then. You could always add a rear locker too but that would be a little more expensive than trading out the coil springs.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:13 PM
bhbdvm
Junior User
Originally Posted by CO Wapiti
I have a 17 with both the snow plow prep and the FX4. The snow plow prep will give you the stiffest spring rate up front. If you think it’s too stiff you can always change out the springs. It wouldn’t be that expensive. The locking diff is important to me but if you don’t plan on off roading or going through deep snow you’ll probably be fine. Noticed how I said deep snow (on the back roads). An activated rear locker would make you prone to fish tail in snow or ice during normal driving so it’s not going to be used then. You could always add a rear locker too but that would be a little more expensive than trading out the coil springs.
Do you think the average person (me) would be able to tell the difference in the ride difference with the different spring rate between the snow plow vs. no snow plow?
Thanks.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:21 PM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bhbdvm
Do you think the average person (me) would be able to tell the difference in the ride difference with the different spring rate between the snow plow vs. no snow plow?
Thanks.

No, I actually prefer the slightly stiffer plow prep springs as they handle bigger bumps better, slightly stiffer more controlled ride.

Guess it really all depends on the roads in your area, if they are brutal then you might want to skip.

The plow prep springs have the highest ride and make the truck look the best as they ride about a inch higher.

Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 PM
CO Wapiti
Elder User
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably not unless you just rode in a truck with the lowest spring rate. It really isn’t that big of a deal to change them out. Maybe $400 for the springs and $150 to $200 labor. I can tell you that the King Ranch leather color is really a lot sharper than the light tan leather. Your gonna love the white gold color too. That’s what I have. The accent color will be nice either way.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:26 PM
bhbdvm
Junior User
Thanks for the input!

Old 12-24-2017, 07:03 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,545 Likes on 1,101 Posts
I buy all my trucks with the snow plow prep to get the highest rated springs. It rides fine and gives you more capacity on the front end.

It usually will sit a pinch higher in the front too. Gives a more level looking truck and it will also have a higher output alternator.

Old 12-24-2017, 07:10 AM
USSenator
Elder User
I have plow prep and FX4. Maybe it is stiff, maybe not. All I ever drive is trucks. I keep the front tires at 80 PSI.

Go with what you want/need. No truck is going to drive like a Cadillac, whatever those drive like.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:41 PM
18F350P
Junior User
I have the snow plow springs and fx4 long bed
front axle weighs 4900 # rear axle weighs 3440
I run 57 # air pressure on all tires
Ford recommends 60 # on the front / 80 # on the rear
Platinum rides smooth as can be and has correct contact patch
I will increase rear air pressure when payload / trailer weights require it

Old 12-25-2017, 12:22 AM
Buliwyf
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd stick with the one you ordered. The electronic locker is priceless. Remember all the neutered Super Duties stuck in the simplest spots with 2 wheels spinning and 2 wheels not? Heavy trucks get stuck easy in anything soft sometimes. I've done the LR, RR, wheel peel more times than I want to admit. I'll never go back to an unlocked rear, and am considering a locker in the front as well. I do no hardcore wheeling. Zero. Just dirt roads, beach, boats, and snow.

I didn't even know you could back out of a custom order.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:58 AM
J Standard
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by USSenator
I have plow prep and FX4. Maybe it is stiff, maybe not. All I ever drive is trucks. I keep the front tires at 80 PSI.

Go with what you want/need. No truck is going to drive like a Cadillac, whatever those drive like.

Air your tires down, you are killing your ride for no reason.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:38 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
I have about 5500 mi on my truck now and got to say the ride has softened up quite a bit. I think its a combo of break in of shocks, tires, springs and maybe mostly tires. I have dropped the psi down to 70 all the way around for no-load travel.

Still not convinced that steel in the tires is the best solution when we have other materials that may work as good if not better...

Old 07-06-2020, 12:36 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
I got to say, the ride on my 350, even with the SP package is almost car like. Load it with a trailer, and it is car like.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:02 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by George C
I got to say, the ride on my 350, even with the SP package is almost car like. Load it with a trailer, and it is car like.
George you have the SP on a F 350, mine is on my F 450. Can tell you for a fact when I first got the truck it would rattle the fillings out of your teeth. Over the past 5500 mi it has improved a LOT. Not knowing all the details I wonder if the SP package on the 350 is same same 450??? Thinking suspension is only front springs and front swaybar??

If so then I can put the blame on the steel tires that you don't have...ya think?

Old 07-07-2020, 10:07 AM
Lin19687
Cargo Master
Received 158 Likes on 140 Posts
You all know this is a 2017 post right ?

Quick Reply: A couple of questions about FX4 and Plow Prep