2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 07:06 AM
mikemorales
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Void warranty?

so if I decide that I would rather change my own oil instead of going to the dealership will that void any warranties on my 250? If not, do I need to save receipts or something for documentation?

Old 12-23-2017, 07:40 AM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do all my regular services on all my vehicles. I enjoy doing it and I know it's done correctly. All I do is document it well and keep all receipts. Each vehicle has a folder and after I print out the maintenance schedule for each service, I attach all receipts. I also go a step further and take a picture of the ODO - not necessary, but I do it anyway. You can also enter service history on the "owner.ford.com" site.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:48 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 982 Likes on 600 Posts
I don't believe there's any requirement to visit a dealer for oil changes.
For years I went to one of the fast lube places with no problem.
Last year I had to go in to get remote start activated in my last truck because I had no FORScan. The dealer changed oil/rotated tires because the first one was free.
When I discovered that they were actually cheaper than the fast lube place (and fast lube doesn't rotate tires) I started going to the dealer.
Save a few bucks plus it was documented with Ford when service was performed.
I have a garage & the tools, but I don't like having a bunch of used oil laying around and then asking someone who didn't change my oil to take it off my hands, even though they have to by law in my state.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:53 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
When was the last time anyone has heard of a modern-day engine failure do to an oil issue other than it being too low?, Old? or something or other. Cross contamination of oil is another issue all together. No, It won't. FORD has a specific oil that they want used... So, use the appropriate FORD Blessed oil. There is an approved FORD list here on the site someplace.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:59 AM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 334 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemorales
so if I decide that I would rather change my own oil instead of going to the dealership will that void any warranties on my 250? If not, do I need to save receipts or something for documentation?
There are many things an owner may do and not void the manufacturer's warranty. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

Originally Posted by Poncho450
I don't believe there's any requirement to visit a dealer for oil changes. For years I went to one of the fast lube places with no problem. ...
Likewise, I was surprised to find my dealer had the best price on replacement tires on a few previous Ford vehicles ... and their price included front-end alignments.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 982 Likes on 600 Posts
Originally Posted by cficare

Likewise, I was surprised to find my dealer had the best price on replacement tires on a few previous Ford vehicles ... and their price included front-end alignments.
I purchased the 2016 from the dealer that did the oil changes. But I'll be taking my 2017 there even though I didn't get the truck from them. It's 20 minutes from home instead of 60 or so from my selling dealer.
Not my fault they didn't have much of a F250 selection on the lot when I was shopping.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM
Boilermaker374
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
Here is another option you might consider... I purchase oil and filter take the truck to the dealer and for $20 they change the oil and do the 26 point inspection....also check for service bulletins...they handle used oil and filter, well worth the $20 IMHO . I've been doing this for years never had an issue, I know some folks have horror stories with things not being done correctly but that's not my experience with my dealership.... Save about $60 over letting them supply oil and filter.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:49 AM
TrippinStfflr
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Using the dealership can also help build a relationship with them. They might be a little more eager to help in the future if you need it. I dont have that luxury. I go to a different dealership every time and cant easily do my own services. We full time RV and some parks dont like you doing service that involves fluids. When I did live in a sticks and bricks, I shopped around to the various dealerships till I found one I liked. The old mentality of the dealership being the most expensive option for service has never been my experience. Although, I turned wrenches on cars for years and still turn wrenches at my current job. Might be why I'd rather not do it on my off time. I'd like to think I'm helping the economy.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:10 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,545 Likes on 1,101 Posts
go to the ford owner website and enter your maintenance. The Ford service dept will do the same.

Travel around the country and have an issue, it is all there.

I had a service dept ask me one time several years ago, I directed them to the website and that is all they needed.
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/sign-in.html

Old 12-23-2017, 11:12 AM
mikemorales
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
go to the ford owner website and enter your maintenance. The Ford service dept will do the same.

Travel around the country and have an issue, it is all there.

I had a service dept ask me one time several years ago, I directed them to the website and that is all they needed.
First I’ve heard of this. Appreciate it

Old 12-23-2017, 11:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,545 Likes on 1,101 Posts
enter your maint, track recalls and such at that website.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:23 AM
Blue6.2
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I change my own oil, I have had one too many bad experiences letting others change my oil (including dealerships). When I do it I know it's done correctly. I just keep records and receipts. I have never had any issues with warranty work due to changing my own oil.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:17 PM
CaptainFoMoCo
Junior User
Originally Posted by Blue6.2
I change my own oil, I have had one too many bad experiences letting others change my oil (including dealerships). When I do it I know it's done correctly. I just keep records and receipts. I have never had any issues with warranty work due to changing my own oil.
Agreed done wrong or scratched up my vehicles. Dealers. Thats why I change myself. Easy!

Old 01-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by senix

Thanks for the link, I went and signed up but I don't see how to enter my own maintenance. All I saw was a place to put my current mileage and estimated daily use...no way for me to estimate that since the truck isn't a daily driver. Will something pop up if I put in the current estimated mileage or is it under another tab?

Old 01-04-2018, 05:46 PM
cficare
Cargo Master
Received 334 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
Thanks for the link, I went and signed up but I don't see how to enter my own maintenance. All I saw was a place to put my current mileage and estimated daily use...no way for me to estimate that since the truck isn't a daily driver. Will something pop up if I put in the current estimated mileage or is it under another tab?
Here's where you enter your vehicle's service history ...

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Void warranty?