slow getting out of 1st,2nd

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Jeepman3
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry slow getting out of 1st,2nd

Hello,

I have a 1995 Mercury, Its a Ford, Villager. It has a v6, and 108,000 miles. I had just recently changed the tranny fluid for the first time. Whenever I am driving slowly around town my Transmission takes a while to shift out of first gear. If i let off the gas it will shift when I get around 3k rpm. Any suggestions. I have 108,000 miles on it. I read up in a service book and tried to study this transaxel and found that there are 4 shift solenoid valves inside the trans. When one solenoid fails you have to change all four together along with the wiring harness. Is it true that the shift solenoids valves can cause this? Or does this sound like a band adjustment? I need some direction since I do the work myself.

Or is this a sensor issue? I checked the vss vehicle speed switch with an analog volt meter. AI removed it and spun it and saw i was getting voltage.

I also checked the tps throttle position switch. I saw a nice resistance change without any abrupt changes in resistance.

BTW.. I had just changed the fluid with detron 3 from Murrays and also changed the filter and gasket. Still operates the same. Are the shift solenoid valves shot because I hadn't changed the fluid? Is this a comman problem that I can fix?

Last edited by Jeepman3; 07-29-2003 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
slow getting out of 1st,2nd

Sorry to inform you, but the Villager is Mercury's version of the Nissan Quest and a whole different animal. I personnally do not have any experience with this model. We usually sent them over to the Nissan dealerships.

Any Nissan Transmission Technicians out there?