axle codes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:19 PM
montster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axle codes?

Where can I find the info on axle codes? I can get a axle set off off a 86 5.8 bronco axle code H-6 what can you tell me about it right now my bronco has a H-8?
any help would be great
also what can I rinse the front diff out with while it is off(clean it out when I can tip it to drain)
any suggestions?
thanks

Old 07-28-2003, 02:04 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
axle codes?

H-6 is a 3.50 ratio
H-8 is a 3.08 Limited Slip
I think it is a simple replacement
Do not rinse out the diff unless you can tear it all the way down to remove all the cleaning fluid. It's best just to take a rag and wipe it out.

Old 07-28-2003, 09:50 PM
montster
Senior User
axle codes?

where can I find these codes the links I looked at last night didnt include the h6 is there 1 reliable link for this type of info? one reply said 3:73 limited slip and both you and another said 3:50,is that limited slip also???
the rear end is a 9 inch is it supposed to be? or have the axles mabey been changed? (axle tags are toast)
thanks for your help

Old 07-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
axle codes?

When you can't get the codes from the diff and have to rely on the door sticker, you hope that the previous owner, if he has changed the drivetrain, has left a note in the glove compartment or at least scribbled something on the sunvisor. It looks like you have neither and have to rely on the door sticker. Here is a site (some sites are not reliable as stated many times here) but this will give you an idea:
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/ratio.html

Old 07-29-2003, 11:48 AM
nzabka
Elder User
axle codes?

Cool, I've been looking for that info too.

Now, How do I compute this data with my RPM's and MPH to estimate what kind of rear axle I could stick in my '85 to improve my gas mileage a little (It's a 3.00 and geared really low). I read through my Haynes manual and couldn't find out how to calculate this data. All of the web searches I've performed want to know my tranny ratio. ??????? All's I know is I have a C6 tranny.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:21 AM
ludis
Elder User
axle codes?

1:3.00 is not low. That would generally be considered high to really high. If you switch to a lower ratio like 3.55, 3.73, or 4.10, your fuel economy will likely et worse.

Top gear in your C6 is 1:1.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:43 PM
nzabka
Elder User
axle codes?

Ohhh. Makes sense.

So by the axle list link that Big Orn left above, I'm thinking that the only thing a guy could do is put in AOD to get more legs under my truck. I see that a "17' coded axle is a 2.47, is that similar as far as working in my truck? My 3.00 "H4" would be a 8.8" limited slip axle from I read in other threads and my Hayne's manual.

My RPM's run pretty high (2200-2300 going 60 mph) and I'd love to lower them for my aging motor(117K) and obviously gas milaege. I don't pull trailers but once in a blue moon down the highway so I'm not too worried about that kind of thing.