6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Intermittent at times 6.0l

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Danliane
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent at times 6.0l

My 03 6.0l runs great most of the time, but at times it sounds like it's struggling a bit, not sure if it's a case of the EGR fever or what, the dealer told me that the egr gets a build up of carbon (soot) and you need to "drive it like you stole it" lol. So I triy to floor it and clean it out and it really dont seem to help. Changed fuel filters, running Motorcraft additive as well, 4x the recommended amount on bottle as the dealership says to. So my plan is to install the egr delete but I'm not sure if it's a job I can do myself, as the dealer will not install it due to legal issues apparently? So I guess if anyone has any input about what may cause the "struggling" like behavior or advice about the delete kit, this would help a lot! Thanks

Old 03-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Benchwrench
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Danliane
New User
No advice anyone?

Old 03-17-2011, 09:48 PM
Roasted7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it mainly happen when the engine isn't up to full operating temp. yet? Kind of sluggish and stumbles a little bit? Then runs perfect once it's totally warmed up to full operating temp?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM
kidoo
Elder User
I had the same problems, intermitten at Idles at times and jurking at around 1500 to 1700 RPM on highway, at times, not all the times.
I am at ford dealer in Savanah right now and they are replacing my IPR, internal pressure regulator. The tech says it might have a piece of dirt in there. It is still on waranty, so we will see later on.
I also had the oil changed, I had 0 W 30 synthetic for north Canada, and now in south, they put in 15 w 40 but that did not make it. I also had ICP replaced and Map Sensor replaced, which did not fix the problem.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Roasted7
Elder User
Hey kidoo,

Let us know if that IPR solves your problem or what ever solution you do find. From your description I think you're driving my truck.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:59 PM
kidoo
Elder User
I drove 100 miles today plus some town driving. The surging did not come back,,,, yet. The mechanic said it had some debris, which debris, I do not know. Anyway, I will drive another 150 miles sunday and see what happens.

The stupid engine light came back on, but that's an old story, it comes on at times. I bought a scangauge today and will install tomorow to check the codes, but so far the engine runs fine, no problems at all.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Danliane
New User
Mine runs the same way but not sure if it's a specific rpm or not? Also you can slightly hear the turbo start to spool a little then stop, at constant highway speed, and at an idle it sometimes runs slightly rough?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:55 PM
Roasted7
Elder User
Originally Posted by Danliane
Mine runs the same way but not sure if it's a specific rpm or not? Also you can slightly hear the turbo start to spool a little then stop, at constant highway speed, and at an idle it sometimes runs slightly rough?
Are you basing this from the whistle sound? Or from a boost gage? I sometimes think I hear the same thing, but its hard to tell with all the external noise.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Danliane
New User
There's no boost gauge, it's stock. But I can tell the spool sound from wind etc. The only thing I've done is unplug the egr

Old 03-20-2011, 07:42 AM
kidoo
Elder User
Going for another 120 miles today. I cleared the CEL yesterday with scangauge.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Danliane
There's no boost gauge, it's stock. But I can tell the spool sound from wind etc. The only thing I've done is unplug the egr
Leaving the EGR valve unpluged is not really recomended. The positive effects don't out wiegh the negative effects of doing so. As far as EGR deletes go I don't recomend them anymore. Mainly due to recent discoveries by techs. What is recomended more around here is a bulliet proff egr cooler. Have you tryed to pull codes yet to see if any are there?

Originally Posted by kidoo
Going for another 120 miles today. I cleared the CEL yesterday with scangauge.
What code are you getting?

Old 03-20-2011, 10:59 PM
Danliane
New User
I would like to know the negative effects of unplugging the egr? Also what reasons could there possibly be for having an egr? So why not install the delete kit??? Egr valves are a stupid invention to supposedly get rid of excess "nitrogen oxides" so they say, but all the problems they cause deem them ridiculous in my book.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do your homework. Unplugging the egr valve makes the fan not operate the correct way. This was a recent finding by one of the techs that is on here (cheezit), he was playing around with the IDS and noticed this. That's my reason. people thought for years "just get rid of the egr system it's junk and won't hurt anything not being there." Now all of the sudden we find out about the fan operation being effected. What will we find out next. Now i'm not saying that a delete is completly bad, just that I (along with many others on here) don't really recomended going that route. Instead, IF (yes I said IF not when), your EGR cooler goes out just install a BPD one. They have had very little to no failures. I my self went 140~k miles with never having a EGR issue. Yes, I do have a delete installed on mine, but the only reason is I bought into all the hype. Plus that was before we found out about the fan operations. I plan to install a bullet proff one. I do still have my EGR valve in place and pluged in.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Unrealo4
Posting Guru
Install the EGR delete kit and just leave your actual EGR valve in place plugged in. Solves both problems, early trucks won't throw a cel unless your truck is a caili truck.

Quick Reply: Intermittent at times 6.0l