6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Q: folks with BulletProofDiesel's Oil Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Q: folks with BulletProofDiesel's Oil Coolers

My kit will be here Saturday
So, I'm preparing to install my condensor mounted oil cooler and
wanted to ask some advice from those that have it already.

On installation: how much oil did you use to fill the new cooler & hoses?
I was planning to pour the oil into the hose(s) once the filter & cooler
are installed - before connecting them to the "oil transfer block"
'cause I expected this would fill things up properly correct.

Do you maintain the 5k oil change and 10k filter change intervals
even though so much oil remains in the cooler/hoses/filter that doesn't
drain back to the oil pan?

When you do change the new spin-on oil filter does
additional oil drain from the hose(s)?
Just wanted to be prepared the first time.

Any other pointers?
Thanks!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:33 PM
Young Gun
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You may be better off asking this question on the ORG. There are a lot of people there running BPD's oil cooler

Old 01-17-2011, 06:45 PM
2006lariat
Lead Driver
Received 228 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Young Gun
You may be better off asking this question on the ORG. There are a lot of people there running BPD's oil cooler
Actually BPD stops in here from time to time, he may come along and answer your ?'s. That company seems really upstanding/upfront with their products. Let us know how it works for you, as I have REALLY been kicking this around too! (MONEY)

Old 01-17-2011, 06:52 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I am sold on their products --- the only proviso re the oil cooler is if you operate in a colder climate as I do, the thermostat is mandatory.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I did my first oil change last week at 4K miles because I went to synthetic. Draining the pan and filter took 17 quarts to do the complete change. I put 1 3/4 qts. in the new filter when I changed it but more than that will come from the cooler/filter base when you remove the filter. I cut the bottom out of a 1 gallon milk jug and caught filter and oil in that. I'm guestimating an extra quart ran from the cooler/hoses after removing the filter. Since it was my first oil change with the new system I decided to change everything that I could but I'll be doing 5K oil and 10K filter changes from here on out. As large as the filter is I don't see a problem with it at all.

As far as filling the oil cooler/filter before startup I did mine exactly as you described. BE PATIENT as the oil goes down slowly --takes about 3/4 gallon to fill cooler and hoses PLUS the oil for the filter. I think I used 6 gallons on my initial install (IIRC).

Be prepared to tweak the oil filter mount braket. A tiny bend can make a huge difference in filter clearance and hose fitment. Remember that you are dealing with bumper/frame mount sheet metal that has a lot of slots for alignment, so take your time. I would also recommend that you have the AC system evacuated and mount the cooler with the condensor out. The cooler can be mounted to the condensor without evacing the system but it's a PIA. The most important word of advice I can give you is BE PATIENT. It fits and it works just as advertised but it's a tight fit. I was on their website yesterday and noticed that they had revampd the install instructions a bit. Print them out and keep them handy.

Old 01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,600 Likes on 1,810 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I did my first oil change last week at 4K miles because I went to synthetic. Draining the pan and filter took 17 quarts to do the complete change. I put 1 3/4 qts. in the new filter when I changed it but more than that will come from the cooler/filter base when you remove the filter. I cut the bottom out of a 1 gallon milk jug and caught filter and oil in that. I'm guestimating an extra quart ran from the cooler/hoses after removing the filter. Since it was my first oil change with the new system I decided to change everything that I could but I'll be doing 5K oil and 10K filter changes from here on out. As large as the filter is I don't see a problem with it at all.

As far as filling the oil cooler/filter before startup I did mine exactly as you described. BE PATIENT as the oil goes down slowly --takes about 3/4 gallon to fill cooler and hoses PLUS the oil for the filter. I think I used 6 gallons on my initial install (IIRC).

Be prepared to tweak the oil filter mount braket. A tiny bend can make a huge difference in filter clearance and hose fitment. Remember that you are dealing with bumper/frame mount sheet metal that has a lot of slots for alignment, so take your time. I would also recommend that you have the AC system evacuated and mount the cooler with the condensor out. The cooler can be mounted to the condensor without evacing the system but it's a PIA. The most important word of advice I can give you is BE PATIENT. It fits and it works just as advertised but it's a tight fit. I was on their website yesterday and noticed that they had revampd the install instructions a bit. Print them out and keep them handy.
Great post Tim. Hopefully you will get some well deserved "reps".

I think I know the answer, but what are your thoughts on the product quality and the company's knowledge and customer service?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bismic

I think I know the answer, but what are your thoughts on the product quality and the company's knowledge and customer service?
LOL--you're right, you do know the answer.

The quality speaks for itself. While not perfect, their products are VERY well done. I had one or two small problems that Ken Neal was very up front about and told me how to EASILY remedy them. Remember....these are Ford guys that test and use their products in real world situations. They're not just show pieces. These guys like to offroad and Baja so they beat the crap out of their trucks. They test and retest and make their stuff WORK. They don't just sit behind a desk, answer the phone, and make sales. They take care of customers and WORK at it. Like Ryan Casserly at Full Force Diesel, their customer service is second to no one. Great guys and a great product.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
My PC is having "issues", so I can only surf while I'm @ work
and "testing" my network equipment.

Thanks partsman. (BTW I rep'd you)
That's great helpful info.

Initially I was going to PM you, but I thought others could benefit
from your recent install - and maybe some other folks would share
their experience too?

The box contained an interesting reprinted article from the
Sept '10 Four Wheeler magazine when they had their
6.0 BulletProofed @ BPD in Mesa, AZ.
It contained some useful info as well.
Here is the on-line link.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/engine/129_1009_ford_power_stroke_bulletproofing_tactics/index.html

Much of the info on their web-site was included in the box.
I was surprised how heavy the oil transfer block is.
(aka replacement for the oil cooler)

Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bismic

Their phone support was great when I called with questions also.
The person on the phone knew the product info.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:55 AM
epfire#233
Junior User
Originally Posted by Young Gun
Young Gun, what does ORG stand for? May be a silly quesiton being asked of a newbie. Thanks!

Aaron

Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 AM
epfire#233
Junior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman

Great post, very informative and helpful. Now for the bad news. I was attempting to give you "rep" points and hit the wrong damn button. Sorry about that NPCCPARTSMAN! If anyone knows how to reverse my bone head move please let me know.

Aaron

Old 01-18-2011, 10:07 AM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you hit this one (report post) instead of this one don't worry about it. You can still give him rep points.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 AM
epfire#233
Junior User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
If you hit this one (report post) instead of this one don't worry about it. You can still give him rep points.
Thanks Steve!

Old 01-18-2011, 03:26 PM
429poweredf350
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Not meaning a hijack at all but how is their oil systems cooling properties during long idle periods? I really like the product but the price tag keeps me looking for reasons why I shouldn't do it. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Frankenbiker
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
During long idle periods, you don't really NEED oil cooling; there's not really any heat being generated; indeed, some older diesels will cool off with no airflow through the radiator when idling.

-blaine

Quick Reply: Q: folks with BulletProofDiesel's Oil Coolers