Sponsored by: Moser

inline 6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 01:14 PM
77flareside
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
inline 6 swap

hey everyone. just wandering if there is any info on an inline 6 swap. my truck currently has a 351m but its shot. and im looking for better mpg so il be able to drive her more than just on the weekends. will a I-6 bolt to a c6 tranny?
Also where could i order a I-6 motor?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM
fairlane68
Senior User
Given the number of people here who have done the direct opposite of what you want to do, and swapped a V-8 in place of a six, there should be plenty of them available. It uses the same bellhousing pattern as a 302.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:49 PM
4x4 Bart
Fleet Mechanic
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
There is quite a bit to this swap.
You would need a different C-6 because the bell housings are different. I think the engine mounts are different. The exhaust is completely different.
As far as MPG you are not going to gain enough to pay for all the parts and labor to do the swap.
If you already had all the parts for free and they were in good shape it would be cost effective. In other words for the cost of buying an engine and trans, exhaust and miscellaneous pieces you could not recoup the difference in MPG savings for many years.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 AM
fairlane68
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4x4 Bart
There is quite a bit to this swap.
You would need a different C-6 because the bell housings are different. I think the engine mounts are different. The exhaust is completely different.
As far as MPG you are not going to gain enough to pay for all the parts and labor to do the swap.
If you already had all the parts for free and they were in good shape it would be cost effective. In other words for the cost of buying an engine and trans, exhaust and miscellaneous pieces you could not recoup the difference in MPG savings for many years.
He's right. Unless you have a donor truck and free parts, you won't recover your expense.