6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Best time to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 AM
RedneckTrucker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best time to buy?

Folks - After looking at all the competition, I have finally decided that the 2011 PSD is the hands-down best diesel truck on the market today (I know, preaching to the choir). Now my decision is when to buy. I rarely buy off the lot because dealers rarely stock the configuration I am interested in and I am unwilling (too cheap) to pay for features that I don't want or won't use. Since incentives and promotions can impact the final transaction price by several thousand dollars, my question is when is the best time of the year to try to close a deal. I know that incentives and special offers usually follow a regular season with most vehicles and manufacturers, I just don't know this cycle for Ford. Any wisdom or advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Just remember, custom orders cut off pretty early in the model year; then you only have dealer stock available.
Off the lot:
1. Late in the model year (but less selection)
2. End of the month (trying to make sales quota)
3. Tuesday or Wednesday (least traffic through the showroom)

Old 10-07-2010, 10:45 AM
conmoto
New User
"Late in the model year" Would that be Jan-Feb? Or later?

Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 AM
RedneckTrucker
Junior User
Rick - I appreciate the thoughts. I have heard this advice before in term of timing the price negotiations to gain leverage, but I have X-Plan pricing so the price is pretty much set. What I am really wondering is when during the course of the year does Ford generally offer the best incentives. Conmoto brings up a good point, with the 2011 model year being launched in Spring 2010, I wonder what the plan might be for the next model year. I would assume that Ford would designate trucks built in late 2010 and beyond as 2011.5 models and roll out a 2012 in late 2011 to get the model year designation back in synch with other Ford and competitive products. This too might all factor into the incentive strategy uses to move product. Thanks again for the help - just trying to figure out the game.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:06 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
There is still plenty of room for negotiating a better price than X plan, I know I did it. Look at the topic called "what did you pay for your truck" here in this section and you will see a lot of testimonials. The best has been at or very near $9,000 off sticker price.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:27 PM
RedneckTrucker
Junior User
Thanks FordTough. The numbers I have in front of me show that on the configuration I am interested in (CC, SRW, 4x4, Lariat) the spread between MSRP and Invoice is roughly $5000. I assume that X-Plan will be around invoice +/- $200. I learned this morning that I have access to a buying service that would let me get down to around $1000 below invoice. If I add this all up I get $6000 below MSRP before adding incentives. I think that incentives right now are around $2500 (with trade-in) and that gets me to $8500 below MSRP. It looks like that is a sweet spot, just looking to see if Ford might make it even sweeter. I grew up in Atlanta and bought my first few cars there. Its a great place to deal because the competition can be tough between dealers all within 20 miles of each other. Thanks for the advice

Old 10-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

Also, when you get close to buying - go online to FORD site - Request a truck brochure - a few days after that the have been sending out coupons for $500 or $750 - Unfortunatly mine came 2 weeks after I bought mine - talked to dealer but the deal was done...

Worth giving a shot - Also there are several "Clubs" that give you "Partner rebates.. I was a member of Tx & SW Cattle Raisers Asso. when I bought my last truck & the had a 500 rebate on Fords... I know the Quarter Horse Asso. Had a similar deal...

Get all you can.....

Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
If you talk with the fleet guy at the dealership you should be able to find out how late you can order a unit. I'd talk to 3 or 4 and see if you get the same answer, if you know what I mean.
As far as rebates; most (not all) rebates are limited to 'dealer inventory'. They are trying to move inventory as much as anything.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:33 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
I think right now isn't a bad time to buy, you could likely get a better price waiting till next august but that is nearly a year away. and the new model year trucks will be out and essentially you will have a truck that is a year older. in many cases I don't think the savings adds up to the decreased value in buying a year old truck

incentives are $2500 right now, I requested a brochure and I am getting a further $750 off, they would not mail this to my house but I requested another one for my wife to my PO box and they delivered it, so not everyone can get one. also it wasn't hard at all for me to get $500 under invoice negotiated with the right dealer. so I am at $500 under invoice with an additional $3250 off after that, plus they did an in and out with my old truck saving me another $1300 in sales taxes, all that was enough for me to pull the trigger.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Fat_Tire
Senior User
Couple of points...

I don't know that anyone here has any special insight as to what Ford is planning to do with their rebates. In general, as the year grows so do the rebates. IMHO, I don't expect to see any HUGE increase in rebates... well... certainly not any time soon. My advice would be, if you are wanting the BEST diesel on the market and you have the means to afford one... just do it. Or you could wait a month or two and MAYBE save 500 bucks on a $55,000 truck. I'd rather be drivin' the truck for those two months... I don't know about you!

The Ford Superduty brochure mentioned above doesn't always come with a coupon. Mine did... but there's no guarantee that you'll get one. It is important to know that they are short-lived. Mine was only good for a month. Luckily my truck arrived the day the coupon was set to expire.

The coupons that you get from AQHA can't be used with any other rebate/coupon. I don't know if they are all like that or not... but I wasn't able to use mine.

X-plan - rebates is really a pretty solid deal. A few might get below that... but not by much... and it will very much depend on the market you're in. For instance, its might unlikely that anyone here in Phoenix is going to do any better than X-plan (or true invoice minus rebates).

Old 10-07-2010, 05:15 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Originally Posted by RedneckTrucker
Thanks FordTough. The numbers I have in front of me show that on the configuration I am interested in (CC, SRW, 4x4, Lariat) the spread between MSRP and Invoice is roughly $5000. I assume that X-Plan will be around invoice +/- $200. I learned this morning that I have access to a buying service that would let me get down to around $1000 below invoice. If I add this all up I get $6000 below MSRP before adding incentives. I think that incentives right now are around $2500 (with trade-in) and that gets me to $8500 below MSRP. It looks like that is a sweet spot, just looking to see if Ford might make it even sweeter. I grew up in Atlanta and bought my first few cars there. Its a great place to deal because the competition can be tough between dealers all within 20 miles of each other. Thanks for the advice
I guess (??) you saw I'm in ATL area right? I've bought 4 new Fordt trucks, five if ya count the deal I did for my Mom. I'll tell you my sales guys name at Gwinnett Place Ford, I don't know if he's the fleet guy, but he tracks and transfers truck for the dealership. His name is Andrew Mullineusp) and the dealer # is 678.804.7745. Tell him Kevin sent ya, I'm the guy that works behind their body shop. They've got a white/gold lariat 4x4 (not FX4) and a couple others not quite sure of them all.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:07 PM
cummins cowboy
Elder User
my coupon also says it can be used with any of the letter plans, like A X Z etc. I am thinking x plan isn't all that cool anyways.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:31 AM
RedneckTrucker
Junior User
Thanks everyone. I am just a good ol boy, backwoods tightwad and always looking for the best deal. I am going to the dealership today to talk to my sales guy and start "the dance". With order to delivery times looking to be running as long as 8 or 9 weeks, this may end up as my Christmas present this year. I will let y'all know how it all turns out.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:47 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Originally Posted by RedneckTrucker
Thanks everyone. I am just a good ol boy, backwoods tightwad .
Please explain the difference to us City tightwads.
Clearly the good ol boy, backwoods tightwads are doing better if they can afford a new truck in this economy.
Is it the chewing? Overalls?
We really want to know.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
best deals are in truck month