Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Favorite fuel injector cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:25 AM
whalebird
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the bad things about the garden variety of snake-oil is that many contain alcohol which is bad for the fuel system in the long run. Techron has no alcohol. Techron is a good maintenance product.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:28 PM
v_tach
Junior User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
I'll buy the snake oil that BMW officially sells me for my BMW (Techron) as being a cut above:

http://www.xoutpost.com/attachments/...bmwtechron.jpg

George
Find some definitive non-biased information that any of it is effective anymore than the detergent product already formulated in consumer level gasoline. There isn't any. Matter of fact Chevron has had their hand slapped a few times in court because of some of the claims they've made for their product.

Its an effective product when used daily (just pump Chevron gas) but it wont do crap for your fuel system for those that use it occasionally as a maintenance practice.

Buy and use whatever you want if it makes you feel better. Your vehicle wont know the difference.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:56 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by v_tach
Find some definitive non-biased information that any of it is effective anymore than the detergent product already formulated in consumer level gasoline. There isn't any. Matter of fact Chevron has had their hand slapped a few times in court because of some of the claims they've made for their product.

Its an effective product when used daily (just pump Chevron gas) but it wont do crap for your fuel system for those that use it occasionally as a maintenance practice.

Buy and use whatever you want if it makes you feel better. Your vehicle wont know the difference.
Neither Chevron nor Texaco gasolines are available in Michigan where I live. I generally fill up at Costco, which used to use BP but now uses Marathon gas, neither of which are top tier gasolines. I do like Marathon if only because it is an American owned company. (The only common top tier available here is Shell, which I will try to use when their price is competitive.)

I've owned cars for over 40 years and am not a user of any additives at this point other than Techron. (In my early years of driving junk cars, I bought and tried more additives than I care to admit and will note that Gumout used to work magic for me on many carbureted cars but those days are long gone.)

Again, no offense, but I'll trust BMW's recommendation over yours for now. We've got a couple bimmers in the family (I've had my 1991 318is since 1994 and my son has had a couple 318ti's) and they know how to build cars very well.

You haven't exactly supplied us with definitive evidence of any kind that Techron does *not* work as an occasional additive especially when top tier gasoline is not being used as a regular diet.

George

ps I generally save anywhere between $2 and $6 per fillup by buying gas at Costco compared to the local Shell stations, so it is cost-effective to buy a couple bottles per year of Techron for each car. If my gasoline was free, I'd use Shell premium (which is claimed to have more additives than their regular gas) and go totally additive-free. But that would add yet another $2-6 per fillup...the big dollars are for the 35 gallon tank in my E150...

Old 10-03-2010, 04:22 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well said george.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:56 PM
v_tach
Junior User
Originally Posted by YoGeorge

Again, no offense, but I'll trust BMW's recommendation over yours for now. We've got a couple bimmers in the family (I've had my 1991 318is since 1994 and my son has had a couple 318ti's) and they know how to build cars very well.

You haven't exactly supplied us with definitive evidence of any kind that Techron does *not* work as an occasional additive especially when top tier gasoline is not being used as a regular diet.
No offense taken. I understand your position.

If Chevron formulated gasoline isn't available in your area then I guess your doing the next best thing.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:33 AM
whalebird
Senior User
George.
I know it's OT, but I LOVE the 91 318IS. What a great little car. I've owned a few e30s and have been looking at a 318is(91)for a while now. They are hard to find in good shape. My current daily drive is an 87 Porsche 924S, but my wife is expecting and I've been looking for a nice sedan. The early 90s Benz e320, and the 91 318 are strong choices right now, but the BMW doesn't have the safety systems I'd like to see, but it is such a neat little car.
Anyway, she will be driving the FX4 with our new baby until I make up my mind because of the awesome safety ratings it has.
Back to the regularly scheduled snake oil discussion.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by whalebird
George.
I know it's OT, but I LOVE the 91 318IS. What a great little car. I've owned a few e30s and have been looking at a 318is(91)for a while now. They are hard to find in good shape. My current daily drive is an 87 Porsche 924S, but my wife is expecting and I've been looking for a nice sedan. The early 90s Benz e320, and the 91 318 are strong choices right now, but the BMW doesn't have the safety systems I'd like to see, but it is such a neat little car.
Anyway, she will be driving the FX4 with our new baby until I make up my mind because of the awesome safety ratings it has.
Back to the regularly scheduled snake oil discussion.
Thanks...I bought mine in 1994, used it as a commuter, then pulled it from daily use around 2000 to be a garage queen 121k miles and ultra clean. Poor man's E30 M3... My son had a '97 318ti (which got totaled, sadly) but now has a '95 318ti Club Sport which is really cool (one of 270 imported to the US). He's a bicycle racer and the hatch is perfect for him. And he autocrosses as well.

I understand about the safety....only 1 airbag in the 318is. But what a nice sedan. First bimmer I drove, back in 1970 or so, was a '67 1600 (like the 2002 with a smaller engine) and I love the old bimmers with the big greenhouses. Mine is the last of this generation but with the new M42 twincam motor, which you know. Keeping mine forever....I'd consider being buried in it but would rather see my son get it when I'm done...taught him to drive a stick in it.

Sorry everyone else about the thread drift,
George

Old 10-04-2010, 09:24 AM
whalebird
Senior User
The M42 is such a nice little motor. Not terribly powerful, but very flexible and the e30 chassis feels a bit more balanced with the 4-banger up front. They can be driven quickly. the e30s I've owned all have the sport seats(which is a must)and is the only car that fits me like a glove other than the Porsche 911s I've also owned.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by willtiti88
Why do you think it was a spam?
Your first post in a post asking about fuel injector cleaners and you quote
Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by 90F1505.0L
I usually use Lucas Oil, but how do you put it in there without making a freakin mess?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I liked the picture of that car. Thanks.
<!-- / message -->
Don't YOU think thats a little odd? If you are not a troll or spammer I apologize but you have to understand there is more of that than we care to see here. If you are legit, may I be the first to welcome you and accept my apology please.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by D8chumley
Your first post in a post asking about fuel injector cleaners and you quote
Don't YOU think thats a little odd? If you are not a troll or spammer I apologize but you have to understand there is more of that than we care to see here. If you are legit, may I be the first to welcome you and accept my apology please.
I know I'm thick but I'm not getting this.
What's wrong with him saying he uses Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner?
Clearly I'm missing something.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:34 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rickf92592
I know I'm thick but I'm not getting this.
What's wrong with him saying he uses Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner?
Clearly I'm missing something.
What you're missing is that he said he liked the picture of that car. Totally irrelevant to the post he quoted.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 AM
fonefiddy
Postmaster
Umm.. You Guy's do know that Fuel Additives are a multi million dollar SCAM, Right?

Every Refinery in the Country adds an additive package to the fuel You buy, Federally mandated. Some are slightly different than others, but there's surprisingly very little difference in most.

If Your fuel system is dirty, You've got more problems than an 8 oz bottle is gonna fix.

These so called "OEM approved" products should read "Kickback Paid"

Old 10-05-2010, 08:16 AM
whalebird
Senior User
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
Umm.. You Guy's do know that Fuel Additives are a multi million dollar SCAM, Right?

Every Refinery in the Country adds an additive package to the fuel You buy, Federally mandated. Some are slightly different than others, but there's surprisingly very little difference in most.

If Your fuel system is dirty, You've got more problems than an 8 oz bottle is gonna fix.

I tend to agree with this.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 AM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fonefiddy

The additive packages have little to do with keeping your fuel system clean, more to do with emissions and such.
While most majors DO add cleaners and there are laws governing how much you must add IF you are going to advertise such; these cleaners cost money and the majors are into profit. The less they can add, the more profit.

Most of the additive cleaners are merely introducing the same cleaners in a highly concentrated form to clean stubborn deposits.
I agree using a better fuel is helpful.
That being said, you generally get what you pay for.
Personal experience has led me to use Seafoam for occasional cleaning and I get Lucas for free.
(I do use their diesel additive)

Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM
D8chumley
Resident smarta$$
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Honestly when I asked this question to start this post I thought I'd get 3 or 4 replies. Here we are on PAGE 4.Rickf92592 did you see what I was asking him? Hopefully Brad cleared it up- thanks Brad! And OBTW 2 days to the Flyers season opener! Thats right, I hijacked my own thread

Quick Reply: Favorite fuel injector cleaner?